Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does RawTherapee support the Sigma DP2M?  (Read 6144 times)

aduke

Does RawTherapee support the Sigma DP2M?
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:08:11 pm »

Chasing through the documentation, it appears to me that it should. The question is, does it?

Alan

ario

Re: Does RawTherapee support the Sigma DP2M?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:21 am »

No, it does not.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:41:25 am »

For what it's worth, I export from SPP as neutral as possible (including backing off the sharpening from zero quite considerably) as 16-bit TIFF ProPhoto. In RawTherapee, I select ProPhoto working space (RT's default) and 'use embedded profile if possible'.

It's a pain going from one app to another but, for my SD9/SD10 X3Fs, the results are way superior to my alternative of ACR 5.4/ PSE 6.

cheers,
best regards,

Ted

aduke

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:18:05 pm »

For what it's worth, I export from SPP as neutral as possible (including backing off the sharpening from zero quite considerably) as 16-bit TIFF ProPhoto. In RawTherapee, I select ProPhoto working space (RT's default) and 'use embedded profile if possible'.

It's a pain going from one app to another but, for my SD9/SD10 X3Fs, the results are way superior to my alternative of ACR 5.4/ PSE 6.

cheers,

I, too, export a neutral TIF from SPP. However, the performance of SPP, while never good, is abysmal on my notebook and virtually impossible to use while in the field.
So, I am looking for something else to do light processing on X3F files.

Alan

ario

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:35:01 pm »

Iridient is a valid alternative (Mac only)

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »

I, too, export a neutral TIF from SPP. However, the performance of SPP, while never good, is abysmal on my notebook and virtually impossible to use while in the field.
So, I am looking for something else to do light processing on X3F files.

I do understand, Alan. That is why I'm sticking with my SD9 and SD10 and SPP 3.5. I've occasionally downloaded Merrill X3F's onto my oldish desktop computer and opened them with SPP 5.5.3 and, to be frank, I don't see how anyone puts up with it. Especially that sad trick of editing a 'smaller' version unless you push this button and then go and make coffee while it loads. Rant over.

RawDigger can open Merrills and export an RGB 8bit TIFF of sorts pretty quick, but I doubt that's the kind of workflow you're looking for. FastStone Viewer can extract the full-size JPEG but I'm sure you don't want to do that either . .

. . . not much help am I? How about buying a Mac and using Iridient? [edit, someone just mentioned that]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:49:58 pm by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted

Tejpor

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:37:39 am »

Unfortunately, these Sigmas with their Foveon sensors need a completely different demosaicing algorithm than the rest of the cameras (Bayer sensors). It is not hopeless, however: Fuji X-Trans sensor support is on the way (the X-Trans sensors are also different from Bayer's).

Maybe you could post on the RT forum ("http://rawtherapee.com/forum/" in the "feature request" section)  so that the developers will be more inclined to do it...

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:18 am »

Unfortunately, these Sigmas with their Foveon sensors need a completely different demosaicing algorithm than the rest of the cameras (Bayer sensors). <>

Just to be clear, the Sigma raw data needs no 'demosaicing' - it is already 3 separate analog channels straight out of the sensor. For conversion, the 3-column raw data is passed through 3x3 matrices with no interpolation involved.

picky, I know  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:12:06 am by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:52:14 pm »

Aren't sigma files interpolated to a higher resolution than resolution of each of the R,G,B layers?

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:41:02 pm »

Aren't sigma files interpolated to a higher resolution than resolution of each of the R,G,B layers?

Hello Michael,

If I understand the question correctly, my answer is 'no'. The spatial, or geometric, image resolution at the sensor is that of any one of the layers, and certainly not 'X3' as Foveon originally claimed. With their later cameras, Sigma uses the expression 'equivalent of' - which is a little better. But my '10MP' SD9 still outputs 3.4MP images - even when exported raw from utilities like dcraw, RawDigger, CEZEOx3fReader and the like.

cheers,
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:16:27 pm by xpatUSA »
best regards,

Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up