Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three mountains  (Read 1197 times)

sdwilsonsct

Three mountains
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:25:45 am »

A few more from Banff. Suggestions re composition, processing, etc. welcome.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Three mountains
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 01:27:38 pm »

The first two are straightforward, picturesque landscapes of stunning vistas - nicely done! They could, perhaps, use a bit more space above. Opening up the shadows, just slightly, might add to the depth of each photo.

BTW, my use of the word "straightforward" for the first two is not meant to diminish the time and effort you've put into creating these photographs. They are lovely photos. I am using it, instead, to contrast with the third photo...which is not your bog-standard landscape.

Photo 3 is wonderful in it's composition - there is such a feeling of space and huge potential in that sky. I feel more could be done in post-processing to bring out the three-dimensionality of the clouds. The standard would be to raise the White clipping, increase the Clarity and retune the Highlights which may need reducing once the Whites are increased. Also, consider raising the shadows slightly, to give the mountain top more definition. Add in some "sculpting" of the tones in the sky with good old burning and dodging and you will have a stronger image.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:37:06 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, Terry.

I agree #1 needed more space above, so I shot #2 as 3 portraits and stitched, and then decided that a small sky was suitable for the foreground.

Here's another whack at #3 following your suggestions. There was indeed more in the mountain. Not too sure how far to take the sky.

What I really wanted was for the cloud formation to get centered on the mountain, but this was not in the cards.

Fine_Art

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:10 am »

Great images. The 3rd looks almost like a volcano.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:46 am »

These are nice photos, with plenty of detail. While I find that the sky in #3 is very strong, the mountain itself leaves me a bit bland, due to the light.

luxborealis

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:55:08 am »

This is better, but I'm not sure you've expressed everything there is in this photograph.

It's rather blue, so could a bit of white balance work, not to remove all the blue, but just enough to take out the "distant" feeling of UV blue.

It appears the highlights could be raised further and the contrast to give better tonal separation in the clouds (perhaps Clarity, too, but it depends on how the combination works together as you don't want "contra-indications" or too aggressive of a change).

As the cloud formation is not centred on the mountain, consider cropping a bit off the right to accentuate the ā€¯movement" of the clouds from left top of the mountain, around to the centre right the continuing in a curve to the top left. Use a combination of B&D to further accentuate this.

Have you considered B&W? It's an ideal image. Those clouds could really glow. Also BIG! Print it big!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »

+1

But I feel they could be improved in processing. Question is how? I would try some tricks if I had the raws.

Best regards
Erik

Great images. The 3rd looks almost like a volcano.
Erik Kaffehr

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:56:56 am »

It appears the highlights could be raised further and the contrast to give better tonal separation in the clouds

Thanks, Terry. I'll follow up. I agree about the blue hue. B+W is appealling.

Paulo, Fine Art, Erik: thanks!

How can you stop us skipping from the bright towers in the foreground to the band of snow on the mountain? Lighten and increase contrast around the oxbow? (That should be plausible given the patches of brightness across the rest of the picture.) Brighten the mountain-side behind the oxbow, take us up the cliffs and scree? Can you make us follow the diagonal into the distant top-left?
Good thoughts, Isaac. You have me looking at this with new eyes. Much needed as I have shot this many times and never been satisfied.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:20:30 pm by sdwilsonsct »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:43:45 pm »

OK, I pushed it a little further and I like it. Also tried B&W.

luxborealis

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:37:36 am »

Now you're getting there...at least the way I see this file.

Consider raising the values of the bottom third. You want a dark base from which the clouds "erupt", but I think raising those values (using a Grad filter + Exposure and/or Shadows) and adding some Clarity to give it "edge" would help to better project the base by giving it more life and making it more tactile.

However, you shouldn't try to make it my photo - you have to keep it to your vision. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up