Hi BC,
There is also the question of value.
For many users value matters a lot. Questions like:
- Want MF image quality, does the Pentax deliver it at an affordable price?
- The Pentax 25/4 mm lens costs as much alone as a DSLR and an excellent Zeiss 21/2.8 lens? Does it deliver an image quality motivating the difference.
- The Pentax 645Z is pretty similar in specs to the Leica S, and is said to have good high ISO image quality, can it deliver on image detail?
Questions like this are in my view quite valid. Not for the customer looking for the best stuff money can buy, but for anyone wanting to spend their money wisely.
The other side of the coin is that almost any equipment may be good enough. Personally, I feel that many of my best pictures were made with a 12 MP camera in 2008. Since that I have grown to 24 and 39 MP, but I don't think gears have improved my pictures. Essentially, 12 MP APS-C is good enough for most of the images I make. More pixels may be helpful for large prints, but I seldom print larger than A2.
The impression I have from Lloyds testing right now is that:
- The Pentax 645Z can deliver great image quality with the right lenses
- Even the best lenses are not as good as the Leica S lenses
- The Pentax 645Z has good image quality at high ISOs
Of course, it can be said that it is best to make your own tests, but it is not that simple. It takes some time and experience to find out about stuff. Renting stuff like MFD is not trivial for an amateur, like me. You need to have a company, insurance cover and a lot of stuff.
Just to mention, I have been shooting MFD for something like a year. After a year of use I still cannot say what I feel about my equipment. I enjoy shooting it, but I don't know about the results. I see the resolution advantage, but I may find it not so significant as I can see the differences in analytical viewing but not in actual prints. I also have that nagging feeling that few of my MF images are that great. Thriving for perfection may miss some great shots.
Using zooms gives a great advantage for composition. With a limited set of fixed focals I get more into cropping and stitching, so taking pictures is more engineering with MF and more dependent on post processing.
Many aspects…
My take is that it is great news that Pentax makes an affordable MF camera with a modern sensor, but I don't know if it is a good buy compared to affordable DSLR camera. Lloyd's initial reporting indicated it may not be a good buy, but in his later reporting he is more positive.
Best regards
Erik
Peeps should use what they want.
I think the Pentax file looks good and is kind of muted pastel (from what I've seen) but that doesn't mean much until you get into post work.
I just think people get too weirded out on this stuff.
I was looking for an extra evf bomb for one of my RED's last week, did a search and the internet was full of equipment forums where people were just pissing and moaning about each other's opinion.
I'll bet you 99% of the responses were hearsay but they were all having a go at each other.
What does it matter as long as you use the equipment you want to use and the photograph is worthwhile.
To me, I see a difference in all cameras, cmos or ccd and some correct to my style easier, some more difficult, but it's all good when you think about it.
IMO
BC