Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Fatal Error ID 1A39  (Read 34113 times)

Anil Kalagatla

Epson 4900 Fatal Error ID 1A39
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »

Hi All:

I recently picked up a used Epson 4900 that needed a little bit of rehab.  After doing pairwise head cleaning, I was able to get pretty much all the heads unclogged and printing (except for the orange head which was not functional - I knew when I bought it as I was planning on using it for B&W only).  Well, I had it working very well for a few hours while printed a few B&W prints using ABW - these came out pretty well.  However, I then started using roll paper on the printer and I started seeing this error code (1A39) intermittently.  I initially thought this has to do with the broken orange head, but given that it only happened when using roll paper and it also correlated with head strike patterns on the paper, I think the error was being triggered by the head strikes.

Well after a few tries of this, the printer stopped working - now it always shows the "FatalError Code 1A39", even after multiple power cycles.  Is this recoverable at all? Or did I have one head strike too many for the head?  It's kind of bummer as I had the printer working for a while with sheet paper before it got into this state.

Any help is much appreciated.

Anil

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Epson 4900 Fatal Error ID 1A39
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:29:43 pm »

According to the Epson 7700/9900/etc service manual (know it's not the 4900 one, but I don't have that one, and it's going to wind up being similar error codes with the 4900) which you can view at http://www.costarelli.it/supporto/manuali/Epson%209700/9700_ESP77_79_97_99_SERIES_I.pdf -- I'm sure more searching will turn up a 4900 service manual

On p146 - 1A39
Description: The drive circuit in the Printhead is damaged due to a slant connection of the Head FFC, etc., or the fuse of the Main Board Assy may has blown because of such a wrong connection.
Remedy: 1. Check the connection of the Head FFC to the Sub Board Assy, and correct it if there is a slant connection or the cable is disconnected. If any connection terminal of the Head FFC is damaged, replace it with a new one.
2. Replace the Printhead. (See P.270)
3. If the printer does not recover from the error after trying 1 and 2., replace the Main Board Assy. (See P.228) (The fuse of the Main Board Assy may have blown due to a slant connection of the Head FFC.)

I saw quite a few other people with this error, remedied by reconnecting the ribbon cables.  Fingers crossed that moving it jiggled cables loose.   ???
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Anil Kalagatla

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:59:53 pm »

Thanks darlingm, I went ahead and purchased a repair manual for the 4900 and I saw the same description in that manual as well.  It seems consistent with repeated head strikes affecting the Head FFC connection (at least that's what I hope it is).  I will try to open up the carriage and check it out tomorrow :-)

BTW, the PDF manual is very nice - detailed color photos that show how to disassemble pretty much all the parts on the printer (if you are ever in the mood for such a thing :-)

Anil

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:55:26 am »

Does make me wonder if you had an otherwise working printer with *complete* orange dropout if you could build custom profiles and get away with using the printer like an Epson 4800 + green, with the only ill effect being gamut decrease.  Would be an interesting experiment, at the least.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:28:36 pm »

Does make me wonder if you had an otherwise working printer with *complete* orange dropout if you could build custom profiles and get away with using the printer like an Epson 4800 + green, with the only ill effect being gamut decrease.  Would be an interesting experiment, at the least.
Seems that when you create a profile with no orange, when you print using the profile the printer will try to use even more orange to compensate ...

Luigi Bozianu

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »

Any improvement regarding this error 1A39?

Anil Kalagatla

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:55:11 pm »

Any improvement regarding this error 1A39?

Just to close this thread out, unfortunately, I did not have much luck with this.  I purchased the service manual and tried to follow the instructions to address this particular error, but had no luck.  In the end I sold the printer for parts :-(

bestfred

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 11:00:07 am »

Hi,

This is due to the short circuit if the ribbon cable attached to the printhead. It was happened to me before because expose copper in the end of the ribbon cable could be damaged and detached in its back plastic support that cause short circuit in the printhead. the expose wire is about 4mm. try to cut off 1mm so that the edge of the ribbon cable become straight and fine edge. gently back the ribbon cable to the print head. God Bless.

ThomasR99

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:11 am »

Any interest in selling the repair manual? Or did you already pass it on to someone else?
-Thomas.

Deardorff

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »

I am thinking the best thing that can be done with the Epson 4900 is a Class Action lawsuit for their bringing to market a product that is not fit for use as advertised.

This printer is one of the worst they have ever made and they refuse to make good on them.

Anyone know of a good class action attorney?
Pages: [1]   Go Up