Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor question  (Read 2217 times)

GJA

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Monitor question
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:22 am »

I am going to buy a new monitor, and I'm trying to choose between several models. They range in price and I'm sure in quality. I am not a professional, but I am passionate about my photography. I will be using this monitor for many things; autocad, internet, word, etc. I really need some help here. The models I am looking at are:

1. Eizo, CG210/B Coloredge - I don't know if it is worth spending $1,000.00 more than the others I'm thinking of. I'm also a little concerned it might be too slow for the other applications I use.

2. LaCie 321 LCD - This is more in my price range, but I'm also concerned this might be too slow for the other applications I use. Am I wrong about its speed?

3. Sony PremierPro SDM-P234 LCD- I know this would work great with all my other applications, internet, autocad, movies, etc. But, would I be happy using it with my real passion, PHOTOGRAPHY?

I would really appreciate some insight from people who have had experience with any of these monitors. Thank you in advance

Greg
Logged

GJA

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Monitor question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:10:28 pm »

I just wanted to add one other possibility in the mix, the eizo L997. It is more in the range pricewise, as the Sony and the LaCie. Hope to get some feed back soon.

Thanks,
Greg
Logged

TimeZone

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
Monitor question
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 04:58:33 pm »

Take a look at these articles on Tom's Hardware for some reviews of the high end LCD monitors.  They are a pretty good read.

article 1

article 2

I had been planning on getting an LCD as my next monitor, but now I'm leaning towards getting a CRT, the Lacie Electron 22blue IV (Blue) 22".  It is capable of 2048 x 1536 resolution.

I figure the CRT is probably still a little better than all but the best (or maybe all of them) of the LCD's except for screen geometry.

I figure the monitor weight/size will not be a problem for me and in a few years or so, LCD's will probably be much better than now.  I wonder if the 2048 x 1536 is really a usable resolution though?  Anyone have experience with the Lacie Electron 22blue IV?  What are your thoughts on this one?
Logged

61Dynamic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1442
    • http://
Monitor question
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:32:27 am »

Whatever you get be sure that the thing can be dimmed properly (via analog brightness adjustment and not any artificial means). Many LCDs are not geared towards graphics pros and so they are far too bright at their minimum setting for color accurate work.

The LaCie and Eizo are sure bets but I don't know about the Sony.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up