Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distance from camera  (Read 2269 times)

regken

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
Distance from camera
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:49:52 pm »

Hi,
I have done several searches and haven’t come up with an answer yet so I’m turning to you folks. When photographing an object with a 50mm lens six feet in front of the camera it fills the full frame. The question is if I use a 500mm lens how far away does the object have to be to get the same full frame picture. There must be a formula for this equation. Can you help me out?

Thanks,
Ken
Logged

Jonathan Wienke

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5829
    • http://visual-vacations.com/
Distance from camera
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:53:09 pm »

The answer is 10x the distance. The formula should be self-explanatory.
Logged

regken

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
Distance from camera
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 08:57:52 pm »

That's not what I am looking for. Let me try it this way. When a particular object is shot with a 50mm lens from a distance of six feet it fills the full frame. How many feet do you have to be away from that same object if you use a 500mm lens.
Thanks,
Ken
Logged

AJSJones

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 357
Distance from camera
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 09:18:29 pm »

If 60 ft as the answer to the question ( i.e. 10x the 6ft for the 50mm lens) isn't what you're looking for, you'll have to ask it a different way!
Logged

regken

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
Distance from camera
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 09:52:36 pm »

Thanks! The answer was to simple. I couldn't see it. Sometimes My ignorance is only surpassed by my stupidity.
Ken
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Distance from camera
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:35:58 am »

Quote
The answer is 10x the distance. The formula should be self-explanatory.
I think these guys know all--WIZARDS--lol.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Distance from camera
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 04:36:58 am »

Quote
If 60 ft as the answer to the question ( i.e. 10x the 6ft for the 50mm lens) isn't what you're looking for, you'll have to ask it a different way!
LOL, I was just thinking that same thing.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Distance from camera
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 04:37:44 am »

Quote
Thanks! The answer was to simple. I couldn't see it. Sometimes My ignorance is only surpassed by my stupidity.
Ken
Ken,

We must be related.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up