Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midwest Weather  (Read 1231 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Midwest Weather
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »

Went for a bike ride yesterday, on a nice and sunny afternoon... got scared by the approaching storm. Taken by iPhone, from a (fast) moving bike.

Turns out it was a false alarm. But then again, you never know in the Midwest whether it is going to turn for the worse of dissipate, so I decided to err on the side of caution and cut the ride short. I do not mind rain, but lightning in the open field is a different matter.


P.S. Russ, there is a human element in the second one (a jogger)  ;)

Kevin Raber

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1339
  • Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:30:50 pm »

I'm in Indianapolis and we got hit hard by the same system.  Tornado and all.

Kevin
Logged
Kevin Raber
[email protected]
[email protected]
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:36:53 am »

I like them both but the second one is my favorite. The storm/cloud is a lot more menacing in #2, it comes over the photographer. The first photo doesn't give that impression.

PS: you did well regarding the lightning threat, I was once caught in the open and I was very very lucky that day.
Logged
Francois

David Anderson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 715
    • http://www.twigwater.com
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:34:29 am »

Serves you right for riding a bike - silly things they are.  ;D
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:09:47 am »

Good for you, Slobodan. Until about eight years ago I was getting a couple hundred miles a week on a road bike, but I never dared carry a camera. My current cell phone would have been the solution.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

KirbyKrieger

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 422
    • Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:03 am »

What differentiates "human element" from "human"?

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:00 am »

What differentiates "human element" from "human"?

I am sure Isaac would be able to tell you better than I possibly could :)

Jim Pascoe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1131
    • http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:38 pm »

I think I prefer the first picture because I like to see the height of the cloud.  The slightly soft effect works well.  Great picture.

Jim
Logged

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:01:38 pm »

I like them both but the second one is my favorite. The storm/cloud is a lot more menacing in #2, it comes over the photographer. The first photo doesn't give that impression.

I included both to illustrate how quickly things can turn from "cute" to "menacing" when it comes to weather.

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Midwest Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:09 am »

I was born and raised in Nebraska. I agree there is something amazing about the cloud formations prior, during, and after big boomers. It's that eerie greenish light that is scary--indicator of high probability for a tornado.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up