Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For better print resolution: Portrait or Landscape?  (Read 1980 times)

waver

For better print resolution: Portrait or Landscape?
« on: June 24, 2014, 04:25:11 am »

Hi,

I was wondering how to achieve a better print quality in terms of resolution.

The print heads seem to have a higher resolution on the horizontal axis - that would suggest to me to always print in landscape mode.

Then again - if for every "run" of the print head the paper is moved only a tiny little bit - the resolution on the vertical axis might even be higher even though the print head itself has less resolution in that direction.

I hope I made myself clear;-)

So - any suggstions?

Thanx a lot!

Christian

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: For better print resolution: Portrait or Landscape?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:58:48 am »

Even if what you say is true (better printer resolution H rather than V), what difference would it make? Your print will still have the "poorer" resolution in it, just at a different angle. I don't see where any advantage would come from.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:04 am »

The print heads seem to have a higher resolution on the horizontal axis - that would suggest to me to always print in landscape mode.

Hi Christian,

I think that suggestion might come from how some manufacturers specify their print quality (in ink dots, DPI), but that has 'nothing' to do with actual pixel resolution. Normal pixel (PPI) resolution is identical in both horizontal and vertical directions.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

waver

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:05 am »

@ Peter: Hmmm, you got a point there...

@ Bart: I was hoping for something like that;-) So everything is fine.

Cheers!

Christian

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:54 am »

Forget resolution.  Focus on content.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »

a sort of“default” for printers  is to insert the paper in portrait orientation, but I started sending sheets through oriented landscape in my 9900 a few years ago, only because they print a little faster. 

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:01:26 pm »

can you see a difference? if so, do what looks better. if not it's not there.

I know it's fun for some people to geek out and do what's better by the math, but really if you can't see it, it's not there. Resolution, bokeh and sharpness are some of the discussions that get most under my skin, they can all be done by the math or by the look/feel and I argue that wasting time discussing the math absent the feel is just pointless.

In art, if it looks good then it is good.

Chris233

For better print resolution: Portrait or Landscape?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »

You'll find the greatest improvements by using minimum acceptable platen gap, print head CR/PF alignments, all nozzles firing without any missing or deflected, and ensuring the feed step (microweave) is nulled for the media. This will allow the best possible dot-edge quality per channel whether the artwork is run portrait or landscape.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:04:34 pm »

You'll find the greatest improvements by using minimum acceptable platen gap, print head CR/PF alignments, all nozzles firing without any missing or deflected, and ensuring the feed step (microweave) is nulled for the media. This will allow the best possible dot-edge quality per channel whether the artwork is run portrait or landscape.

Some good points. Not sure what you mean by microweave nulled for the media, and at 2880 dpi microweave doesn't factor in.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:44:36 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up