Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ultra-wide for Sony A7  (Read 15468 times)

kengai

ultra-wide for Sony A7
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:57:22 am »

what is the best ultra-wide for Sony A7?

michael

Re: ultra-wide for Sony A7
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

The SEL1018.

Though it is designed as a 1.5X APS-C lens, it covers full frame between 12mm and 17mm without serious vignetting. In terms of size, image quality and price nothing can touch it.

Michael

Paul Roark

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »

How does the Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 compare at 16x20, using the maximum possible area out of the Touit image circle?  It looks to  me as if one can use  almost 20mp of  the Sony sensor with crop  off.  As a fixed focus optic, the Touit might be not only lighter to carry but also make up for its smaller image circle with better edge definition & CA.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Paul Roark

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:30:59 pm »

Somewhat answering my own question, it looks like the size and weight advantage are actually in the zoom's favor.  See tests at http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/869-zeiss12f28 and
http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/829-sony1018f4oss .

The 2.8 of the Touit is going to be an advantage in some situations.

Tests are a bit of apples v. oranges -- different  cameras. But it looks like the much better Touit CA might offset some of the zoom's image circle and probable lines per image height advantages. 

At https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=zeiss%20touit%2012mm%20sony%20a7 near the bottom of the set of photos there is an example of the Touit image circle, un-cropped.  That is where it looks like about 20 mp of the Sony might be usable from the lens.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 01:14:41 pm »

Best?  Maybe depends on what you want to do with it.  A couple of options I use.

Canon TSE 17mm
Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon
Both w/adapters of course ...

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:22 pm »

Received my copy of the 10-18/F4 yesterday.  Generally, it's quite usable from, say, 12mm thru 16mm, and it's very good to excellent at 14mm and 15mm, all when shot in RAW and subjected to automatic corrections in Camera RAW.

Here 'tis at 10mm.   ;)

...and 16mm and developed slightly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:45:31 pm by jeffreybehr »

EgillBjarki

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:33 pm »

If you have an FE to EF mount, I am getting very good results with the new Canon 16-35mm F4 IS.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:51:45 am »

I wonder what the corners are like on the 10-18mm on an A7r. The lens is not designed for that part of the image circle to be shown even.

rickk

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »

Here's a link to an article published here two months ago that addresses some of these matters:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/lenses/sony_a7r_wishful_thinking.shtml
The 10-18mm is mentioned about a third of the way through and in the conclusions.
It continues to provide good results for me most of the time.

Regards,  Rick

CptZar

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:22:36 am »

Why not wait for the Zeiss 16-35/f4 for E-Mount, scheduled to be released this year?

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 09:09:18 am »

There is still about 6 months left of this year. When it comes there are many who wonder if it will be as much of a compromise as the 24-70 was, if they can't get the wide end good on that lens, ditto distortion, I wonder if they can do any better with a dedicated wide?

Flaviu Mogosan

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »

Hello, I'm very curious about the sharpenss, I've seen some screen-size pictures with this combination of body/lens, but nothing in regards to the sharpness in the corners on that 14-16mm usable range. Rick or Jeffery or Michael? any insights into that? The term usable is so subjective, could i use this as a primary wide-angle for all purpose shooting?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »

Hi,

Samyang 14/2.8 is really good, if you cam live with distortion.

Canon's TS 17 mm TS-lens would be great.

Zeiss 17/18/21 with adapter.

Best regards
Erik

what is the best ultra-wide for Sony A7?
Erik Kaffehr

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Re: Ultra-wide for Sony A7
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »

Hello, I'm very curious about the sharpenss, I've seen some screen-size pictures with this combination of body/lens, but nothing in regards to the sharpness in the corners on that 14-16mm usable range. Rick or Jeffery or Michael? any insights into that? The term usable is so subjective, could i use this as a primary wide-angle for all purpose shooting?

Flaviu, the corners at F8 at 12, 14, and 16mm are not very good.  I'd call them just 'fair' at 16mm, and the sharpness gets worse as the focal length shortens.  Here are cropped images.  I shot these so that I'd have something predictable in the corners; hence the weird crops.
16mm:

14mm:

12mm:

If you want 100% crops, e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net with something like '10-18 crops re LuLa' in the subject line and I'll send them.

Those with limited amounts of money to spend on this stuff, and of course that's merely 99.9% of us, won't want to read this, but my recommendation is the 'EA4 adapter and the fabulous Zeiss ZA 16-35/2.8.  Big and heavy, here in the center, flanked by the 10-18 left and the excellent FE Zony 24-70 on the right...

...its image and build quality is VERY high...what I'd call 5-star quality.  And its results are just as good on my current Sony a99.

CptZar

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 01:15:20 am »

(SR4) Zeiss Wide angle zoom to be released in late August/early September.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-zeiss-wide-angle-zoom-to-be-released-in-august/

Paul Roark

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 11:29:22 am »

I have my Zeiss 18mm ZM on the a7r as an interim step.  For that I found that the Voigtlander VM-E adjustable adapter allowed me to set the infinity stop, which was way off for the wide angle.  Some tape seems to hold the adapter adjustment fine.  Note that this optic is fair for B&W, but has the magenta edges.  If the Zeiss zoom is in the Canon 16-35 f/4 quality range, it probably is the answer, but a better microlens solution that allowed more symmetrical wide angels  would be superior.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up