Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab Entrada Natural - dust issues  (Read 1414 times)

shadowblade

Moab Entrada Natural - dust issues
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:58:58 am »

I've been looking at Moab Entrada Natural lately, as it has a very nice, fine-grained cold-press texture and physical thickness, excellent longevity and wide gamut. But I have also read reports of dust issues with the paper, although these reports all come from several years ago.

Does anyone here use this paper in roll format (I'm mainly looking at the 290gsm, 21.5mil-thickness single-sided version)? If so, have you noticed any dust issues with recent rolls? Brushing the roll before printing doesn't really work when you're printing a 75- o 90-inch-wide panorama.

Also, if anyone has also used any of the Breathing Colour matte papers, how does Entrada compare in terms of gamut and Dmax?

I.T. Supplies

Re: Moab Entrada Natural - dust issues
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:11 am »

I've checked with our Moab rep regarding the dust issue and this is what they stated:
Yes, we are aware of this issue.  Or, should I say, we were aware of this issue.  A pretty common thing when working with fibrous materials such as cotton.  However, as it applies to the Entrada, it was an issue that we became aware of about 5+ years ago.  Since then, nothing.  Haven’t rec’d any complaints.

I can't help you with the Breathing Color since we don't use it.

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:49 am »

Thanks. So it looks like dust is no longer an issue.

I'm familiar with Breathing Colour papers - close to best-in-class gamut for matte paper. Just wondering whether anyone's used both and can say whether the gamut is significantly better or worse.

MonsterBaby

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:44:40 pm »

i use this paper for years and luv it.. never had probs with dust

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »

Thanks. So it looks like dust is no longer an issue.

I'm familiar with Breathing Colour papers - close to best-in-class gamut for matte paper. Just wondering whether anyone's used both and can say whether the gamut is significantly better or worse.

I occasionally use a few BC papers: Optima One, Elegance Velvet, Pura Smooth and Velvet. To be honest I get better gamuts from my more frequently used Rag Photographique, German Etching, and Arches Aquarelle.

Brian A

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:43:06 pm »

Dust is a issue on matte fine art paper....boy I am sure there are plenty of snickers..lost time ,effort, energy..not to mention money on this..if u r a printmaker price accordingly w waste..a artist or photographer printing your own work well..I hate to say it but Atlex s response is a ringer and 99/100 it's not being replaced by the manufacture.

Each paper has it's own flaws it's how to handle and tolerate today..sorry to be the bad news provider.

Questions call me anytime 856-787-9200
Jim Doyle
Shades of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

2jbourret

• http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:11:59 pm »

I've used Moab entrada continuously for about 5 or 6 years now, including large rolls (44"). The paper dust (or flakes) is hardly a problem now, much better than 3-4 years ago.
Jamie Bourret
[url=http://jamesbourret.p

Paul Roark

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:21:35 pm »

One reason I like Arches watercolor paper for full sheet (22 x 30 inches) sizes (where the coated paper smoothness advantage is minimal) is that it is much easier to retouch if needed. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com 
Pages: [1]   Go Up