Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Burnett on using Leaf Credo  (Read 5800 times)

sam@

Re: David Burnett on using Leaf Credo
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 07:16:20 am »

I agree about the images used in the Credo link, they are really hard to look at.

I attended a conference where David Burnett spoke and showed his work and had a coffee with him and a few others after - he's a great photographer and speaker. I love some of his images.

Looking at his website and other images he took at Sochi - there are some really good / interesting images in there although I assume that those were not taken with the Credo.. or else why not show those.

Sam

tsjanik

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 11:12:59 am »

I agree with Bernard that the 3rd image, of the women's 50k, is the most jarring of the lot.  I dislike it on the technical aspects of bokeh and color and because of my long time interest in cross country racing. I find the shot completely misses the beauty of the sport.  Since skiing is fluid, it is difficult to capture  the elegance of movement in a still; but to end on a positive, I very much like  this shot from Burnett's site (and many others as well):

http://www.davidburnett.com/gallery.html?gallery=Sochi+2014+-+the+Winter+Games&folio=Galleries&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/18

Tom

Ken R

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 12:18:35 pm »

I agree with Bernard that the 3rd image, of the women's 50k, is the most jarring of the lot.  I dislike it on the technical aspects of bokeh and color and because of my long time interest in cross country racing. I find the shot completely misses the beauty of the sport.  Since skiing is fluid, it is difficult to capture  the elegance of movement in a still; but to end on a positive, I very much like  this shot from Burnett's site (and many others as well):

http://www.davidburnett.com/gallery.html?gallery=Sochi+2014+-+the+Winter+Games&folio=Galleries&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/18

Tom

There is some nasty vertical banding on a few of the images on that link. I really like some of the compositions (great timing and positioning) on some of the images but really dislike what seems like the post-processing which leads me to believe that on quite a few instances the original files are good and the info is there.

He has an extensive body of work and a lot of is really good but personally I would have been more selective and judicious when deciding which images to post online and how to process them.

tsjanik

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »

There is some nasty vertical banding on a few of the images on that link. I really like some of the compositions (great timing and positioning) on some of the images but really dislike what seems like the post-processing which leads me to believe that on quite a few instances the original files are good and the info is there.

He has an extensive body of work and a lot of is really good but personally I would have been more selective and judicious when deciding which images to post online and how to process them.

I agree entirely; I noticed the banding too, but thought I'd mentioned enough negatives.  In general too much of the overdone HDR look for my tastes in many of those.  The uncooked ones are very nice, e.g.

http://www.davidburnett.com/gallery.html?gallery=Sochi+2014+-+the+Winter+Games&folio=Galleries&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/27
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:20:08 pm by tsjanik »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up