Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: David Burnett on using Leaf Credo  (Read 5799 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
David Burnett on using Leaf Credo
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »

https://captureintegration.com/david-burnett-something-to-behold/

I found some of his observations interesting, especially considering his background.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

amsp

Re: David Burnett on using Leaf Credo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »

Did the Clarity and HDR sliders get stuck on max settings? I think I need some band-aids for my eyes.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:11:55 pm »

Did the Clarity and HDR sliders get stuck on max settings? I think I need some band-aids for my eyes.
Agreed. Yuck.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »

Agreed. Yuck.

Armchair jockeys: Did you even bother to take one minute to browse his web site? He's one of the most accomplished PJ's alive.
~ CB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 10:36:53 pm »

Yes, his work is very good and very well known.  

As for the "Clarity and HDR sliders get stuck," let's not forget that he is using a mirror lens, which gives a very distinctive out of focus look and has a fixed f/stop.  The 3rd image was defiantly shot with it and the 1st looks as if it was too.  So that look is probably mainly from the properties of that lens and not anything in post.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:18:53 pm »

So that look is probably mainly from the properties of that lens and not anything in post.

Nah. It's the cranked contrast (clarity), selective desaturation look. In the digital era every look where the processing is blatant quickly turns into a gimmick. That happened a while ago with this look. But judging by how often I see it, it still has commercial impact... Now I'm a strong advocate of "do what you like" when it comes to this stuff, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything.   ;)  So, first-rate photographer or no, I second the "yuck."

-Dave-

amsp

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 02:39:00 am »

Armchair jockeys: Did you even bother to take one minute to browse his web site? He's one of the most accomplished PJ's alive.

Actually, I know exactly who David Burnett is and I've admired his 4x5 work for a long time. That doesn't change the fact that the photos in the article are hideous.

Yes, his work is very good and very well known.  

As for the "Clarity and HDR sliders get stuck," let's not forget that he is using a mirror lens, which gives a very distinctive out of focus look and has a fixed f/stop.  The 3rd image was defiantly shot with it and the 1st looks as if it was too.  So that look is probably mainly from the properties of that lens and not anything in post.

Nope, it's quite obviously the post production. The terrible, jittery bokeh is from the lens though, made even worse by the excessive editing.

JV

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 10:24:23 am »

Actually, I know exactly who David Burnett is and I've admired his 4x5 work for a long time.

I know him mostly from his Holga work, especially the iconic Al Gore picture:
http://www.davidburnett.com/gallery.html?gallery=Holga+Eye&folio=galleries#/0
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:25:59 am by JV »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:46 am »

It is an interesting proposition that we would/should judge an image by different standards if we knew who the photographer was.
Surely we remember the (iconic) HCB shots posted on Flickr that were roundly criticised for sharpness (lack of) and composition (poor).
Even the great and the good produce images which vary in quality, however that is evaluated.

I did find his comments interesting particularly on the impact of producing a physically large/impressive MF camera on the subjects.

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 11:56:52 am »

David Burnett is a fine photographer. The photos in the article are not fine. Armchair jockey? Hardly.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 03:29:06 pm »

It is an interesting proposition that we would/should judge an image by different standards if we knew who the photographer was.

Agreed, however, even a noob browsing Burnett's web site will see that his work is outstanding. He has brought a fresh look to photojournalism for years.

Apparently using the "clarity slider" is enough for some to blow their vuvuzela in absolute rejection.
~ CB

jerome_m

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 03:44:07 pm »

let's not forget that he is using a mirror lens

There are catadioptric lenses for medium format? Which ones?

torger

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 03:47:23 pm »

There are trends in digital post-processing, and the time when gimmicky HDR processing with lots of haloing was cool was very short and it was over quite long time ago. Probably it will come back again, like most fashion trends do, but this isn't the time ;)

Anyway, I've seen less-than-good post-processing by excellent photographers before, not all great photographers are great at post-processing. It's an overlapping skill set, but still a very different one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:49:35 pm by torger »

Ken R

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »

Tough crowd!  8)

Chris Livsey

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 05:23:34 pm »

There are catadioptric lenses for medium format? Which ones?

http://www.pentaconsix.com/1000mm.htm

Also Hartblei 500/5.6, Arsat f8 600mm mirror lens, Rubinar f/5.6 500mm mirror lens, Rubinar f/8 500mm mirror lens etc etc (well maybe not two etc)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 01:32:23 am »

Actually, I know exactly who David Burnett is and I've admired his 4x5 work for a long time. That doesn't change the fact that the photos in the article are hideous.

Nope, it's quite obviously the post production. The terrible, jittery bokeh is from the lens though, made even worse by the excessive editing.

Thanks for posting.

The article is interesting but I have to agree that those images, the 3rd one in particular, are not that great. The bokeh in the 3rd one may be some of the worst I have ever seen, it almost hurts the eye (I guess that it was shot with the mirror lens, look probably got worsened by web downsizing, but still). The look is also unattractive to my eyes.

Cheers,
Bernard

jerome_m

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 03:42:42 am »

http://www.pentaconsix.com/1000mm.htm

Also Hartblei 500/5.6, Arsat f8 600mm mirror lens, Rubinar f/5.6 500mm mirror lens, Rubinar f/8 500mm mirror lens etc etc (well maybe not two etc)

Thank you. I did not know catadioptric lenses were made to cover the size of MF. It is not easy because the optical formulas used in these lenses and in telescopes are not well adapted to large sensors, this is why I was surprised. In the mean time, and with the help of the names you gave me, I even found a test of some of these lenses: http://www.pentaconsix.com/500_600new2.htm.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 06:55:02 pm »

Tough crowd!

"I know where you sleep."

~ CB

Chris Livsey

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 02:30:54 am »

"I know where you sleep."

It's his hairdresser I'm afraid of  ;D

billthecat

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 02:38:35 am »

The best photo on that page was the photo of David. The EXIF says it was a GX7.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up