Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: camera raw changed my color space  (Read 36693 times)

xpatUSA

• Blog
Re: camera raw changed my color space
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:39 pm »

Hi,

As many here have realized, since many Canon users are fond of these renderings, Adobe has tried to simulate these via the profiles that are available in the Profile popup menu, with the "Camera" prefix (such as "Camera Standard").

Eric

Hello Eric,

While you are 'here' may I ask you a related but off-topic question?

With early Foveon X3F files (FOVb) open in ACR 5.4 / PSE 6 the Camera Profile popup menu only shows 'Embedded' - which I initially thought was because there are no Sigma profiles in the various folders installed with PSE 6. However, after trying several times to add Sigma-specific profiles, via the DNG Converter and the DNG Profile editor, those additional profiles are ignored by ACR and the Camera Profile popup menu still only shows 'Embedded'.  ???

Am I right in thinking that ACR is 'blocking' those additional profiles i.e. the act of opening an X3F file sets some sort of 'no see-um' flag - or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time . .
best regards,

Ted

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 10:27:24 am »

With early Foveon X3F files (FOVb) open in ACR 5.4 / PSE 6 the Camera Profile popup menu only shows 'Embedded' - which I initially thought was because there are no Sigma profiles in the various folders installed with PSE 6. However, after trying several times to add Sigma-specific profiles, via the DNG Converter and the DNG Profile editor, those additional profiles are ignored by ACR and the Camera Profile popup menu still only shows 'Embedded'.  ???

Am I right in thinking that ACR is 'blocking' those additional profiles i.e. the act of opening an X3F file sets some sort of 'no see-um' flag - or am I doing something wrong?

Can you please post an example of such a profile?  I'd like to use it for some internal testing to figure out what's wrong.

Thanks.
Eric
Eric Chan

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 10:55:12 am »

as far as I remember that was corrected but probably for ACR versions more recent than yours... there was a way to force ACR to see the profiles, that is from my posting in 2010 (I 'd assume with ACR 6.* ???) before Adobe fixed the issue... now if I can only find my own posting here (or did I post in ACR forum @ Adobe forums ?)... I think I recall that you need to copy .dcp files to the proper directory when ACR already has your raw file opened and then the drop down list will show the profiles, thus the check somewhere in the code is bypassed.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1360x850q90/718/x3fdcpboth.jpg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:04:47 am by deejjjaaaa »

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 01:11:43 pm »

Can you please post an example of such a profile?  I'd like to use it for some internal testing to figure out what's wrong.

Thank you, Eric,

I have put four files up here: http://kronometric.org/phot/xfer/4Eric

A .dcpr
A .dcp
A .dng
An X3F

Same camera, same subject (flowers).

Again, I'm on PSE 6 with ACR 5.4. Sorry, no intention to go further, as we speak. My curiosity is purely academic.
best regards,

Ted

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 01:15:15 pm »

<> .. I think I recall that you need to copy .dcp files to the proper directory when ACR already has your raw file opened and then the drop down list will show the profiles, thus the check somewhere in the code is bypassed.

Thanks DJ, anything is worth a try  :)
best regards,

Ted

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 01:49:39 pm »

Thanks DJ, anything is worth a try  :)
basically you need to do something with folder content that forces the code to refresh the list of profiles, even may be creating some dummy file in that folder... for example you might have some daemon in the background running creating/deleting a file there every so many seconds... hence the ACR code is always fooled... crude, but shall work

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 05:56:54 pm »

basically you need to do something with folder content that forces the code to refresh the list of profiles, even may be creating some dummy file in that folder... for example you might have some daemon in the background running creating/deleting a file there every so many seconds... hence the ACR code is always fooled... crude, but shall work

Thanks again. With my version of ACR 5.4, running under PSE 6, changing the folder content with an X3F file open didn't add anything to the Camera Profile drop-down. I'll wait and see what Eric Chan comes up with. Not being a Pro, I almost never use profiles - preferring to convert as neutral as possible and do the development elsewhere.

The only reason I got into the subject at was that a Sigma SD9 was turning reds orange whereas a Nikon D50 did not. At one point, I discovered the Adobe raw to DNG converter and the DNG profile editor thought I could "just" make a profile for that lighting situation and all would be well. So, with the thought of workflow including a raw-to-DNG conversion, opening in ACR, applying the profile, etc. ad naus, I went down a different path and forgot it until yesterday.

I should stress that this is not a major problem to be solved by by forum members and, if Eric tells me why it happens, I will perfectly happy.

Cheers,
best regards,

Ted

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:40 pm »

Thank you, Eric,

I have put four files up here: http://kronometric.org/phot/xfer/4Eric

A .dcpr
A .dcp
A .dng
An X3F

Same camera, same subject (flowers).

Again, I'm on PSE 6 with ACR 5.4. Sorry, no intention to go further, as we speak. My curiosity is purely academic.

Eric, did you get a chance to look at those files?
best regards,

Ted
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up