Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2014 - Tri County Memorial Day Race  (Read 1074 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
2014 - Tri County Memorial Day Race
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:27 am »

These are four images from a set of 23: a dirt-track race in North Carolina I shot on Memorial Day. I accidentally stumbled upon this race last year and was determined to return better prepared this year to capture it. The race was rained out 3 hours after I arrived, so the race itself actually never happened; it was postponed until July 4. Actually I am glad because it gives me a practice run at it. This is the first "story collection" I have attempted so any C&C would be greatly appreciated if anyone has the time to give it. Thanks, -t

All 23 images are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/toddsuttles/sets/72157644961571192/

One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: 2014 - Tri County Memorial Day Race
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:14:09 am »

I am currious about space to the side or sides of 21.  This cop is OK, but with players like these a bigger stage could be good.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:58:17 am »

I am currious about space to the side or sides of 21.  This cop is OK, but with players like these a bigger stage could be good.

Three others:
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:49:43 pm »

I think our man in the fire suit is best with feet and far away eyes.  All three are good, but the last is a winner for me.  I woun't crop it.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:02:09 am »

Todd - not much too the shots posted in terms of actual really substantive content in the frame...the group walking has some interesting faces/expressions...but.  The one of the kids with their backs are all turned?? The one on Flickr where one of them has his head turned is much more interesting.  Some of these have potential working together as part of a larger photo essay a la reportage...but only a few.  The biggest issue for me is the B/W...you're missing one potentially powerful component of the context here partly because there is no color. I would especially like to see the color of the cars etc. - speaking of which - getting a car or group of cars at the apex of turn closest to you - with slower shutter might be interesting the blur or slight blur of color. /B
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:19:33 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »

Todd - not much too the shots posted in terms of actual really substantive content in the frame...the group walking has some interesting faces/expressions...but.  The one of the kids with their backs are all turned?? The one on Flickr where one of them has his head turned is much more interesting.  Some of these have potential working together as part of a larger photo essay a la reportage...but only a few.  The biggest issue for me is the B/W...you're missing one potentially powerful component of the context here partly because there is no color. I would especially like to see the color of the cars etc. - speaking of which - getting a car or group of cars at the apex of turn closest to you - with slower shutter might be interesting the blur or slight blur of color. /B
Thanks Brandt. I appreciate your input. I will go through them again with color in mind, just as an exercise. Hopefully by the next race on the fourth I will have a better understanding of what I am wanting and doing. I very much appreciate your time.... -t
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up