Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At the end of the rainbow - Panasonic GH4  (Read 3338 times)

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
At the end of the rainbow - Panasonic GH4
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:50:06 am »

Thank you, Michael, for a clear primer. Just the kind of article I so admire on LL.
I note your point about using an external recorder like Shogun for 4.2.2 from the GH4.
I plan to upgrade from video on my Leica M (very good by the way) to 4K next year.
Perhaps GH4, or perhaps Sony A7s, also with an external Shogun recorder.
Hoping that in due course you will write an equally helpful article on the A7s.
Best wishes, Goff

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
Re: At the end of the rainbow - Panasonic GH4
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:17:14 am »

Readers might be interested in this comparison of the GH4 and the Sony A7s.
It is by a successful professional filmmaker.
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/a-fun-comparison-between-the-sony-a7s-the-panasonic-gh4-and-the-canon-1dc-4k-dslr-cameras/
You can see why I am considering both cameras for my 4K purchase next year.
Goff

michael

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:05:19 am »

Not a very meaningful comparison.

It shows the A7s with the Shogun but not the GH4. They show the GH4 with the YAGH, which really isn't necessary and isn't a recorder.

Michael

Ps: I will have an A7s for review as soon as Sony Canada gets one.

Michael

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:32:07 am »

Thank you, Michael.
Looking forward to your review of the Sony A7s.

The Shogan looks remarkable.
Essential for recording high quality (422) 4K video,
regardless of whether one prefers the GH4 or the A7s.
It even includes a Phantom socket for audio!

Goff

PS. Has LL switched from Blackmagic to Panasonic GH4 for making 4K videos?

michael

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:43:28 am »

Yes, we now have two GH4s.

Michael

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:28:33 am »

I assume you are recording internally at 4.2.0.
Presumably that gives sufficient image quality for LL videos.

For what video projects would you recommend 4.2.2 ?

The ciné-collages on my website were composed from Leica M clips shot at 1080p.
Modest grading in iMovie.  Www.vimeopro.com/goff/alps
I tried more adventurous grading in FCPX and Resolve,
But the 1080p clips fall apart.
Hence my interest in moving to 4K.
Next year, when the market for small 4K cameras offers more choice.

Your thoughts on image quality in 4K video would be welcome.
Specifically, when does 4.2.0 suffice, and when is 4.2.2 necessary?
I cannot afford to go to 4.4.4.

Goff

stevesanacore

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:28:41 pm »

Michael,

Very good explanations of a very complicated and misunderstood subject. I've been shooting digital video along with my still work since the Canon XL1 days, and I've seen the amazing evolution of image quality to finally even compete with movie cameras shooting film. I had to laugh when I also sensed a frustration in your tone at times in the article, which I can also understand as I'm sure you hear from other experts trying to explain bit depth, fps, shutter speeds, (video), compression, data rates, etc etc etc who don't know what they are talking about. As someone who has been in it from the start, it's amazing how little understanding there is of digital video, even from some experienced crew people. I'm waiting to shoot some tests soon with the GH4 and see just how good it is for my needs. I was skeptical however on your statement that non I frame compression was usually just as good as individual frames. Of course the Canon 5D has been getting away with terrible compression for years and still produces nice images most of the time.

I was wondering if you are finding that 4K capture gives you more room to play when grading than 1080P does at the same compression and bit depth? Technically it shouldn't but was wondering what your experience has been?

Thanks and keep up the great work!
We don't know what we don't know.

dreed

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:58:29 am »

Ps: I will have an A7s for review as soon as Sony Canada gets one.

Michael

As much as I know you now dislike doing IQ testing, I'd be especially interested to know if you can get the 15.3 stops of DR out of their images as they're now claiming.

Pete Berry

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:31:27 pm »

I've had mine a couple of days now, and have about blinded myself sitting about three feet from the 55" UHD screen showing clip after clip through the camera's HDMI out. My wife thinks her mate of 52 years, sitting there spellbound in his gallery glasses, has totally lost it! OK, over that now, and on to a couple of observations:

First, 2X dig. zoom in UHD mode is identical to 1080's ETC mode in mag., but enhanced by being on-the-fly uprezzed to full UHD frame dimensions as shown by frame captures compared to FHD ETC mode captures. The former are a bit sharper, smoother, with less artifact than the latter at the same 100mbps bit rate. A nice straight OOC enhancement, with a hardly noticeable drop in IQ at 6-8 feet viewing.

When watching 4K through HDMI out in the TV's 1080p mode, the GH4 auto down-converts the video with results similar to what we have seen with PP conversion on the web - quite a difference in resolution and gradation compared to native 1080p clips shot at the same bitrate. This supports Adam Wilts' recent findings that native FHD from DSLRs doesn't come close to 1080 Lines/ph in resolution - only about 700 at best, or 800 for the GH3/ETC 1:1 mode. But that down-converted 4K hits the full 1080 before aliasing sets in.

Last,I highly recommend Andrew Reid's GH4 4K video Shooter's Guide ($20) with his personal take on initial settings, a "special sauce" version of CinelikeV  settings for very nice OOC results indoor and out, plus his versions for grading and ultimate flatness. A very comprehensive discussion of speed-boosters, crop factors, legacy lenses of all sorts, and an extensive reference section.

http://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-panasonic-gh4-shooters-guide

Pages: [1]   Go Up