Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for ND Filter  (Read 1146 times)

tonitai

Help for ND Filter
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:10:41 am »

Hi people I am new in this forum, i have a nikon 14 24 lens, and i am looking for a nd filter, can you guys suggest me which one is better????

Thank you very much!

stamper

Re: Help for ND Filter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:53:48 am »

You will need deep pockets. As far as I know the only one is lee and it is expensive.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:19:01 am by stamper »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:12:16 am »

If you mean a graduated ND filter of the square variety, the only one I know that is purpose made for the lens is from Lee Filters in the UK.

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »

This sounds like a good news - bad news schtick. Good news - you have THE lens :)  . Bad news - spend a few hundred bucks on the holder and a filter. :(    Lee's 150mm kit has been around for a while and works, according to many reviewers. Fotodiox Wonderpana also has a holder for 165mm filters, and there is minimal hard vignetting at 14mm. See dpreview.com for recent (today) review of Wonderpana.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:20 am »

A bit more info on the Lee setup.  The kit from Lee is the SW-150, and comes with the adapter that mounts to the hood of the 14-24, the filter holder, and a Hard grad 0.6 ND.  (IMO the Hard grad 0.6 is pretty worthless, and Lee should change this to either a soft grad or full grad).  Lee also includes 2 back covers to help keep down reflections.  More on this later.

I leave the adapter on the lens all the time, Lee also included a nice neoprene cover that fits over the adapter and keeps the Nikon lens cap on (something that Nikon should also consider). 

By default, the filter holder will take 2 resin 150 x 150 or 150 x 170, the ND's are the longer size, the normal ND's square.  I have used both the Lee ND 0.6 and 0.9, no color cast issues and or loss of details due to the resin.  I have checked this pretty often also.  I modified my Lee filter holder to allow the outer slot to take a 4mm thick filter and purchased a CL-PL from CaVision out of Canada.  This single piece of glass costs more than the whole Lee setup, but if you need reflections on water, CL-PL is the only way I know of.  So in the field I will have the CL-PL up front and the ND in the back 2mm slot.  The tolerances are just enough to allow this without hitting the lip of the built in lens hood.  Works great.  With a solid, you can rotate the CL-PL, and not have the issues a grad will give you.  The only issue is finding the longer threaded screws that allow you to fit the Lee 4mm slot.  Lee DOES NOT PROVIDE THESE, and not sure why.  Their understanding is that you would only want a 4mm on the setup, thus replacing the 2 2mm so the same screws fit.  I looked a while to find a longer screw that would hold, finally found out that the longer Mac Pro laptop screws fit and do the job.  You can find these in kits on ebay.  I still would add locktight to the treads just in case as if that outer filter holder comes loose, there goes the Ca Vision. 

If all you need is ND, then the standard hold works great. 

The reflection blocking plates are very important, don't forget them as they will keep about 95% of all the light hitting the back sides of the filters blocked, if you allow this to happen, you get a mirror like reflection in the image where the filter is above or below the opening of the 14-24.  Sometimes, the lower plate is more important than the upper as when working with water, it's easy to get reflections off the bottom of the plate.

Yes, expensive, however the 14-24 has proven it's worth to me countless times, by the best wide angle zoom I have ever used, from either Canon or Nikon, and I have tried most of them. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up