Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA272W Set-Up with Spectraview II ProKit  (Read 6073 times)

Bearmann

• http://brsphoto.zenfolio.com/
NEC PA272W Set-Up with Spectraview II ProKit
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »

I just repaced my Lacie 22" Electron Blue CRT with the NEC PA272W. Generally, it's an amazing monitor and I love the wider color gamut. I have a few queswtions and one problem.

1) No English users manual and no CD was included with the monitor, only a short quick set-up guide. Is this standard for this monitor?

2) I chose 52 samples for spectraview II which prevents selection of Best Grayscale Color Tracking. Would it be better to select 32 samples and Best Grayscale Color Tracking rather than Maximise Best Contrast Ratio?

I usually work in a dim enviroment.

3) I profiled to color gamut Native (Full). This is correct, right?

4) I assume the Spectraview II is using the monitors LUT's, and not those of the video card. Should I check? How?

5) My old monitor would wake back up after moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. This one doesn't. It does have the USB input cable connected.

6) I used my old CRT at 80 candellas. I profilled the PA272W to 100 candellas, but it seems a little bright from what I am used to. Can I go lower? Is there a lower limit wihich I should not drop below? What is typical for dim enviroment?

7) I'm getting a faint green shadow at the most far left 2-3 inches of the monitor edge. I assume the monitor will need to be replaced. Any solutions to try?
Barry[/font]

D Fosse

Re: NEC PA272W Set-Up with Spectraview II ProKit
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 04:37:20 am »

1. Download the manual from NEC's website.

2. I'd prefer best grayscale, simply because I never run my displays at max achievable contrast anyway. I should also think 32 samples more than enough.

3. Full native is right. All the others limit the gamut in some way.

4. Yes, it's using the internal 14 bit monitor LUT, not the video card.

5. Don't know.

6. Try to get used to 100 first, and see how it matches with your output. 100 seems about right for a dim environment. If you go very low it will negatively affect monitor performance. Only a very few and very good monitors can handle anything below 100, but the PA should be among them if you need it.

7. That's not a good sign, that won't go away. I'd ask to get it replaced.

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:52:24 pm »

Point 2 revisited. I had to get home to the system where I have SVII installed to check the settings.

Under Preferences > Calibration, it says that "(Best Grayscale) will not be used if a calibration target with a contrast ratio of other than Default is selected". So if you set contrast to anything lower, say 350:1, that option is unavailable. And sure enough the option is grayed out here. I hadn't noticed this.

Strangely enough this is the direct opposite of Eizo ColorNavigator's policy. There you have to set the black point higher than native (reduce the contrast) for this option to become available. If you leave it at native minimum you only get the "maximize contrast" option.

Not that I think this matters very much in practice.

If you're proofing for print, you normally don't want the full contrast range. Very few papers exceed 300:1 and matte papers are more in the 200:1 region. Offset print is even lower than that. So if your display shows 600 or 800:1 what you see isn't what you get at all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:57:19 pm by D Fosse »

Bearmann

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:39:24 pm »

Yes, it's also grayed out if you select 52 samples rather than the default 32 samples.

Thank you for you help!  
Barry[/font]

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »

try pressing the space bar to wake it up

Bearmann

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:00:41 pm »

Tried the space bar previously- didn't work.

I just have to push the power button on the monitor now. If that's the worst thing, I can live with it.
Barry[/font]

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:58:20 am »

Tried the space bar previously- didn't work.
I just have to push the power button on the monitor now. If that's the worst thing, I can live with it.
I see the same behavior from time to time. I'm hooked up to a MacBook with lid closed. In worst case, I hit the power button (blue) on the unit for off, then right on again, it 'wakes up'. But it's inconsistent and an issue I've seen from day one.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bearmann

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23:19 am »

Yes, today it didn't even wake up when I powered up the computer from being off.
Barry[/font]

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:24:51 pm »

1) No English users manual and no CD was included with the monitor, only a short quick set-up guide. Is this standard for this monitor?
In the interests of "being green" printed materials are being phased out. A multi-language printed User's Guide runs well over 100 pages.

2) I chose 52 samples for spectraview II which prevents selection of Best Grayscale Color Tracking. Would it be better to select 32 samples and Best Grayscale Color Tracking rather than Maximise Best Contrast Ratio?

On the PA series the number of steps doesn't have any impact on the final calibration quality. The display's internal color engine does all of the grayscale tracking correction automatically. The measurements are just for confirmation purposes only.

3) I profiled to color gamut Native (Full). This is correct, right?

For most color managed workflows this is the correct choice.

4) I assume the Spectraview II is using the monitors LUT's, and not those of the video card. Should I check? How?

SpectraViewII only calibrates using the display's LUTs.

5) My old monitor would wake back up after moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. This one doesn't. It does have the USB input cable connected.

The default setting on the PAxx2 series is to power the display off completely after 2 hours in power savings mode in order to maximize power savings. This will require the display to be powered on again using the front power button. You can change this setting on the OSD (Advanced Settings -> "Tab 6" -> "Power Save Timer" -> Off), or by using the MultiProfiler software.

6) I used my old CRT at 80 candellas. I profilled the PA272W to 100 candellas, but it seems a little bright from what I am used to. Can I go lower? Is there a lower limit wihich I should not drop below? What is typical for dim enviroment?

On the PAxx2 series you can go down to 40 cd/m^2 if you want to. Coming from a CRT however it will take some time to get used to working at higher luminance levels.

7) I'm getting a faint green shadow at the most far left 2-3 inches of the monitor edge. I assume the monitor will need to be replaced. Any solutions to try?

Try adjusting the Digital Uniformity Correction level. Some off-axis color "glow" is normal though.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Bearmann

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 08:40:15 am »

Thanks for your assistance, Will. I'm trying your suggestions.

By the way, I did get a nice thick paper owner's manual, just not an English one.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:38:43 pm by Bearmann »
Barry[/font]

tarzan1234

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 02:12:45 am »

By the way, I did get a nice thick paper owner's manual, just not an English one.

I'm assuming it's Russian? I heard Russia is the only market where a digital copy of the manual is not acceptable, that's why NEC has to put one in the box.

Bearmann

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:10 am »

I'm assuming it's Russian? I heard Russia is the only market where a digital copy of the manual is not acceptable, that's why NEC has to put one in the box.

Yes, that is correct.
Barry[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up