Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of drones in national parks prohibites?  (Read 5131 times)

dreed

Johnny_Johnson

Re: Use of drones in national parks prohibites?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:52:32 am »

Thank God! In my opinion, drone users in national parks rate even higher on the a**hole scale than drivers that "beep" their horns by using their remotes to lock their cars.

Later,
Johnny

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:29:06 pm »

Here's a link to a video. I thought it was pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWygZZyONzo

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:16:36 am »

Hi,

Thankls for that great example that Yosemite Park can be appreciated from a Birds view. I think this video will become a classic beacause after the prohibition we will never ever see again the scenery of the Yosemite Park from a birds perspective.

So far this video made me see the park in a different way. OK, I have to admit that I have never beeen there and only know Yosemite Park from images and honestly always the same images again and again and again. This video gives the Park an absolutely different perspective of seeing it. At elast there is one :-) made before the prohibition.

Only people who have flown a Quad- or Hexacopter know how much Noise they make. There are 2 ways of flying those things. In an educated manner or in a wild manner, and so they do not make more noise then a cars beep when closing or opening the car.

Well I do not know if those are correct decisions but OK. You voted for your politicians and so you have to accept their decisions, but what is a pity that in this case nobody will be able to appreciate the scenery from another point of view, eg. Birds eye view. If they would have been smarter they should charge for flying quadcopters there and limit it to a certain amount of flight per day.

I do fly Quad- and Hexacopter and have the experience that the fauna adapts itself much faster to his new technology in the same way the fauna has adapted to the huge amount of parking lots and what ever else. People walking aroung the parks and the clicks of thousands of cameras during the day.

But OK, as I said, those are your politicians and you have to live with them.

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:19:57 am »

Not too long ago I was on a beach one morning to photograph birds. It was an optimal day for it, with a very low tide the low tide occurring at sunrise, which is a few day event in any given month. There were perhaps three other photographers on the beach and a couple of bird watchers. About 20 minutes after the sun rose I was composing a photo of a heron when the bird started acting very nervous for about 2 seconds and flew off in a panic. At about the same time I heard something that sounded fairly distant but I didn't know what it was. Looking away from the camera in the direction the bird looked before it flew, I saw every bird on the beach in flight, and a drone cruising not too high and moving along the waterline. My day, and that of everyone else on the beach except the drone's owner, was over in 20 minutes. I was not happy.

Birds, especially smaller ones, view larger flying objects at bird-like altitudes as predators, because until now they usually were. They're also sensitive to noise. I don't even like the sound level of my Canon shutters around them, but I stay far enough away that it's not a problem.
- Dean

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:01:25 am »

Just as a note, the use of ANY UAV or "Drone" for commercial purposes is prohibited by the FAA.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:48:58 am »

I believe  a federal judge ruled the FAA prohibition is illegal and that the FAA had appealed that decision.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:24:03 pm »

Not too long ago I was on a beach one morning to photograph birds. It was an optimal day for it, with a very low tide the low tide occurring at sunrise, which is a few day event in any given month. There were perhaps three other photographers on the beach and a couple of bird watchers. About 20 minutes after the sun rose I was composing a photo of a heron when the bird started acting very nervous for about 2 seconds and flew off in a panic. At about the same time I heard something that sounded fairly distant but I didn't know what it was. Looking away from the camera in the direction the bird looked before it flew, I saw every bird on the beach in flight, and a drone cruising not too high and moving along the waterline. My day, and that of everyone else on the beach except the drone's owner, was over in 20 minutes. I was not happy.

Birds, especially smaller ones, view larger flying objects at bird-like altitudes as predators, because until now they usually were. They're also sensitive to noise. I don't even like the sound level of my Canon shutters around them, but I stay far enough away that it's not a problem.

Hi Dean,

I respect that as I also used to go birding early in the morning on a beach populated by people making their morning wlaks.. The birds got used to it and just changed their position and i agree that a Quad- or Hexacopter on a Beach is unusual.

The point here at the moment is not a beach but a national park with trees etc. etc. etc. but I think i better shut off and let youe politicians solve that prohibitions or not.

.. take the coat and hat and off I go ...

I am here for

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »

The real reason drones should not be allowed in national parks (or anywhere else for that matter)  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

I believe  a federal judge ruled the FAA prohibition is illegal and that the FAA had appealed that decision.

Correct. The ruling was stayed under the appeal, so currently the status quo remains.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:52:51 pm »

The real reason drones should not be allowed in national parks (or anywhere else for that matter)  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

¿ Did you really believe that is true ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have you ever shot a machine gun and flown a Quadcopter ¿?

... coat and hat and off I go ...
 I am here for

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »

... Have you ever shot a machine gun and flown a Quadcopter ¿?

Yes to first, no to second. However, I worked eight years in Russia, and think that if they could put a man into space, and do some other pretty crazy stuff, they could probably mount a machine gun on a drone as well. If not now, then pretty soon. And not only they.

Then again, my post was a humorous take on the issue (noticed the smiley?) thus it is pretty much irrelevant if the video is true or not. But I think we've already established in another thread that you take me too seriously, mi amigo  ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »

Maybe the park service should get one to bring down any drones which ignore the regs?

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:03 pm »

Zion NP Just released this statement as well.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/droneharassesbhs.htm

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17:16 pm »

Perhaps the National Parks Service should allow visitors to bring anti-aircraft weapons with them to the parks, provided they sign a document promising not to use them on anything but drones.   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:20:15 pm »

Perhaps the National Parks Service should allow visitors to bring anti-aircraft weapons with them to the parks, provided they sign a document promising not to use them on anything but drones.   ;D

No, preferably on the pilots of the drones and then seek out horn beepers as secondary targets.

Later,
Johnny

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website

pluton

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 03:47:39 am »

I love to see good aerial cinematography, and some aerial stills as well.  Did you see the drone video where they flew through the GoPro through the 4th of July fireworks...fantastic!
But The NPS has taken the right path, at least initially.
Drones are another form of pollution, just like cars.  Just because we allow one form of pollution, doesn't mean it's oK to add another.  Just because there are millions of pounds of PCBs in the Hudson River doesn't mean it's OK to add methyl mercury or cyanide.
In the wrong hands, they can be a legitimate safety hazard.
Drone operation in the parks should be treated like movie production:  You have pay for a permit, and work directly with the NPS staff.
That'll keep the scofflaw teenagers and drunken hillbillies away.

millard

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 10:10:15 am »

I like it. Would love to do it myself. This is a video, not stills, and I can understand from people who are still shooters. I am also a still shooter, and amateur videographer. Would like to try this platform. As I can see you can really do some "zoomy" shots, like the one under the low bridge. How many crashes happened before you got the hang of it? I can understand the ban, as more and more drone users start to populate the sky.
Regards,
Millard

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:37 am »

Drone over rainbow bridge

This is happening every day now.

The real issue I have with these is their constant BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ that they emit while flying. I visit these wild places to get away from "the real world". If you've ever heard a drone operate from a distance, they really do pollute their local environment with significant noise pollution. The BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ is at just the right frequency that you can hear it from significant distances away. It's very distracting and disruptive in nature.

The NPS ban is a very, very good thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up