Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 profiler crashes under win 7  (Read 21989 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: i1 profiler crashes under win 7
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 01:25:04 pm »

I measured my test print in single scan mode this time, successfully, with version 1.5.0, of 48 lines, 1600 patches. I do have an icc profile and have saved it to external drive also.
My questions of the more experienced users:
1. Is there a way to save a measurement as you are doing it, say on line 7 of 48, and every so often, as user sees fit ? I could not find this ability.
2. What is ADC and where is it found and how to disable it, anyone know?
3. Could someone update me on what XDR is in this software, and how it affects the profiling of icc profiles?

I am hesitant to upgrade to 1.5.4 now in software. May stick with 1.5.0. Any thoughts on this?
As I said, I did succeed in getting a single scan icc profile of 1600 patches, will print a test photo print with this profile later today, on Canon ipf6400.

1. No, a shame you can't. It's another "what are they thinking?" issues with the product. Worse, you could in theory measure all the patches and only at the end of the process be told something you measured at the beginning of the process is questionable so you can't save the existing data or remeasure.
2. Where are you seeing this?
3. It's difficult to get a firm answer from X-rite. It's supposed to aid with multiple device connectivity. It's a mess of a solution in search of a problem. It's always running, sucking up system resources. In older products that didn't have XRD, it was no big deal to connect multiple instruments, worse case you quit the application, hooked up the new device, relaunch. Instead we have something that gets it wrong more often than with past products and it is buggy and has components all over the system with no uninstaller. A huge mess of poor engineering and software design.
I'm hesitant to upgrade as well. I saw the Release Notes, they are a joke! It says little if anything about the differences in since 1.5, the bit about the color engine scares me, it's important for them to let us know what we should be seeing here. If I build a new profile in 1.5.4 that's different due to the color engine and I'm doing trending or analysis, I need to know how this may affect me.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dgillilan

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 02:48:06 pm »

Andrew,
Thank you for your replies; I think I will stick with vers. 1.5.0 for now. I will be measuring my next 1600 patch target this afternoon, and will try dual scan mode.
For my question labeled 2, I found on the X rite site in the Support, under i1 Photo Pro, under topic labeled  "Troubleshooting and Diagnostics", then choose
topic "Software freezes  or crashes during initial patch measurements", at URL address:

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1913&Action=Support&SupportID=5492

Here is the text copied in, from the Xrite answer online:

Date Created: 6/15/2011   Date Modified: 2/29/2012
+Software Freezes or Crashes During Initial Patch Measurments

If ColorMunki Display or i1Profiler software freezes or crashes while measuring the first couple patches on the screen during display profiling, Automatic Display Control (ADC) could be the cause.  Please use the following instructions to turn off ADC in these programs:

Windows:

ColorMunki Display: Open the program.  Select “File” in the upper left and then “Preferences” from the dropdown.  Uncheck “Enable ADC”, click on “OK”, restart the program, and create a display profile.

i1Display Pro: Open i1Profiler.  During profile creation, make sure to uncheck the “Automatic Display Setup (ADC)” option in the “Display Hardware Setup” portion of the “Measurement” workflow step.
There is also a similar answer for Macintosh below the windows one, on the Xrite site.
Thank you,
Debra

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 03:01:17 pm »

If ColorMunki Display or i1Profiler software freezes or crashes while measuring the first couple patches on the screen during display profiling, Automatic Display Control (ADC) could be the cause. 
Makes no sense to me but try it. It's senseless trying to figure out the what's and why's of this product, worth a try. But if you still get the crash, I'd not be surprised.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 09:20:52 am »

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Andrew. I didn't realise X-rite released a new version of i1Profiler and from the wording they have found and fixed the bug that causes bogus measurements from the i1 Pro 2.

I have done one quick test for now and indeed the problem seems to be gone. Thankfully! At last.

Unfortunately, despite several email exchanges, the conversation with X-rite customer service came to a dead end and they did not inform me about this update.

I was about to order an iSis XL but my faith in the company is greatly weakened.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 09:47:52 am »

I was about to order an iSis XL but my faith in the company is greatly weakened.
They make superb hardware, it's software they don't seem to have a clue about. The iSis XL is awesome, I have two and have never had hardware issues other than their update of the hardware between Rev C and E which for a rare few produced issues with trending (as I alluded to the software below). They have great color scientists too. X-rite seems incapable of producing software these days. The Passport was the last product they really scored on IMHO.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 10:17:06 am »

They make superb hardware, it's software they don't seem to have a clue about. The iSis XL is awesome, I have two and have never had hardware issues other than their update of the hardware between Rev C and E which for a rare few produced issues with trending (as I alluded to the software below). They have great color scientists too. X-rite seems incapable of producing software these days. The Passport was the last product they really scored on IMHO.

Do you mean the Colorchecker passport?  Even that has buggy software.  It won't produce Dual Illuminant profiles on large raw files (e.g. D800 full-resolution raws), but gives misleading error messages.  This applies both to the stand-alone program and the Lightroom plug-in.  You have to set the D800 to DX crop in order to get raw files small enough for the colorchecker software to work for dual-illuminant profiles.  Googling, I found that this problem was known about and reported to xrite 2 years ago, but they haven't so much as put a warning in the documentation.  When I reported the problem recently, I got: "This issue is addressed to development and we hope, that it will be solved in a future software update."   Hmm... two years to increase a few array sizes?

The colourmunki display software is also buggy (it can blue-screen) and has a very flawed installer - I assume that's perhaps the same core software as i1 profiler. 

It's amazing how few companies produce both good hardware and good software - Apple being the obvious exception.  Worse: companies that produce good hardware often have no idea how bad their software is.  They simply refuse to acknowlege any criticism.  X-rite, Nikon...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 10:58:30 am »

Do you mean the Colorchecker passport?  Even that has buggy software
Yes, but I've not experienced any issues. Not surprised to hear of bugs. It's how long it takes them to recognize and fix them that's a PITA. Their Q&E is nonexistent.
The colourmunki display software is also buggy (it can blue-screen) and has a very flawed installer - I assume that's perhaps the same core software as i1 profiler. 
Their installers and lack of uninstaller's is frustrating especially considering all the junk they install all over the system. This wasn't an issue in the old days prior to the GMB merger.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 08:57:32 pm »

I will question the "superb hardware" in a bit, but what is the point of good hardware without reliable software to drive it? I've learned from conversing with an expert that the read errors are higher in i1Profiler than MeasureTool, once every 100 pages or so vs one every 2500 pages. Other stupid things include the iSis measuring the whole page before it spits it out and says the measurement is corrupt instead of stopping immediately when it happens. Memory leaks. Connectivity issues. The iSis is spared for now, but what of later?

The iSis theoretically is no more accurate or repeatable than the i1 Pro, since both rely on the same spectro tech, and have the exact same published specifications from X-rite. In the real world it certainly is more consistent, partly because it is not affected from the inevitable inconsistencies of handholding, the heat from one's hand, the method by which it determines the position of a patch and other reasons. But why use the same technology? Why not something better? Why no polarizer? The older instruments (Spectrolino) were slower but their accuracy and repeatability are better, both in published specifications and in reality. Tradesoffs in speed vs accuracy. It can certainly be better but they seem to have no motivation to do so.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 10:44:38 am »

I will question the "superb hardware" in a bit, but what is the point of good hardware without reliable software to drive it?
The iSis is just an instrument. It sends spectral data to many applications not only i1Profiler or even software from X-rite. So to get measured data, it's a good product. What and how you use the data after that, especially in X-rite software is quite a different story. But if you want to spend more money, the Barbieri LFP is superb.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 11:21:09 am »

The iSis is just an instrument. It sends spectral data to many applications not only i1Profiler or even software from X-rite. So to get measured data, it's a good product. What and how you use the data after that, especially in X-rite software is quite a different story. But if you want to spend more money, the Barbieri LFP is superb.

Except for its accuracy at or near black. Otherwise its the most versatile tool available at its price. There just isn't enough competition in the market for this range of hardware. Datacolor is completely junk. Barbieri spectros are less consistent than X-rite's. Plus its a pain to make custom targets for the LFP.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 12:12:14 pm »

Except for its accuracy at or near black.
How so? I've built profiles over the years where I've literally measured hundreds of thousands of patches and as yet, no problems other than the hardware differences between Rev C and E's that hosed trending. I've literally worn out more than one iSis over the years. For many of these profiles, huge numbers of targets from press runs are averaged, the only way to do it right as the device behavior varies hugely compared to the tiny and I'd suggest insignificant differences in consistency with the measurement data. It's fraction's of a dE value and thus invisible.

Rinkadinkadoo

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »

Any updates on this issue? I have spent the last two nights trying to get i1 display pro to work. I've been combing the net for an answer. It constantly freezes at random times. I have Windows 7 64 bit and I'm using a Dell U2410.

These seem to be three mature companies/products: X-Rite, Windows and Dell. Why won't they play nicely together?!  ???

ned

Re:
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47:20 pm »

Same issue for me with I1 profiler and printer profile targets. Plus NEC Spectraview looses communications with sensor and my replacement sensor. New motherboard and os install does not fix it.

Rinkadinkadoo

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:02 am »

FYI, I've gone down this list of possible solutions that X-Rite provides and nothing worked.
http://www.xrite.com/i1profiler-i1publish/support/kb5547

Rinkadinkadoo

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 11:51:40 am »

I'm at work. Not working, of course....

I may have found my problem. My computer is at home so I'll check it out later. I use a Wacom tablet, and I just found the below post at the X-Rite site. It was posted in 2012 so the issue was apparently never fixed, but at least now I might have a workaround:

Date Created: 8/26/2011   Date Modified: 9/12/2012

+Mouse Clicks Don't Work With Wacom Tablets

The user interface for a number of X-Rite products including i1Profiler, ColorMunki Photo, ColorMunki Design, ColorMunki Display, and ColorMunki Smile is based on Qt Framework.  More information on Nokia’s Qt Development Framework can be accessed at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

There is a known issue with Wacom tablets and Qt based applications.  Wacom tablet mouse clicks are not working in Qt based applications.  This issue has been logged as a bug with the Qt development team and there could be a resolution soon.  It is possible that Wacom can provide a solution as well.  There are workarounds posted on the Wacom User Forum website.  The two simplest workarounds seem to be to switch the tablet mouse to “Pen Mode” or to connect a standard USB or wireless mouse when using the i1Profiler application.

If the solution is provided thru a Qt Framework update, then the next released versions of i1Profiler and ColorMunki software should include the fix to this issue.

Rinkadinkadoo

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:59 pm »

:'( It's not the Wacom tablet.

I plugged in a new mouse. didn't help.
Rebooted. Didn't help.
Unplugged the Wacom, rebooted, didn't help.

Now, without the Wacom and just a normal mouse, the mouse is not working properly in ANY application (even without Iprofiler open)!

I have an inquiry in to X-Rite. Unless I figure this out soon, I'm just going to return the i!DisplayPro and revert my computer to a week ago.

Rinkadinkadoo

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 01:25:56 am »

Too many hours....

Okay, so I found another mouse in the house and tried that one. It worked! The first mouse that I found must have been defective.

I don't know whether this was all worth the effort. I'll test some images tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up