Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you catalog your images?  (Read 14172 times)

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: How do you catalog your images?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »

I've been using C1 since v3 and don't think I would ever consider using their catalog feature. By the time I accumulated my first thirty CD's of backup material in 1995, I knew I had to do something. At the time there was Canto Cumulous or Extensis Portfolio. At the time, Portfolio had a much friendlier interface and that's what I've been using every since. Nineteen years of taking everything I could toss at it from Xpress to InDesign to movie files and everything imaginable in-between. Extensis has been a bit slow on updates for the latest raw file previews but they do get there and the program is rock solid. I love - and my clients love it more - that I can find and have open on screen practically any file from the last twenty years in a matter of a minute or so. Yeah, well, sometimes, I do have to go downstairs and fish out an old disc, so that takes an extra minute.

The View

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:41 am »

I checked out Extensis Portfolio.

Extensis' website doesn't say what version is current, and what it costs. All I found was the server version for $ 2000.00

Extensis Portfolio standalone has been discontinued since version 8.5, the server version is version 11.

Are you sure this software still exists for individual? The server version seems to address big  companies.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:01 am »

I checked out Extensis Portfolio.

Extensis' website doesn't say what version is current, and what it costs. All I found was the server version for $ 2000.00

Extensis Portfolio standalone has been discontinued since version 8.5, the server version is version 11.

Are you sure this software still exists for individual? The server version seems to address big  companies.

The standalone Portfolio had strengths, but for a few years Extensis Portfolio has been very much targeted at the multi-user market. I wouldn't recommend considering it nowadays.

John

Arlen

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:42:56 pm »

John, what cataloging software are you mainly using now? I used to follow your posts about iView/Media Pro on The Dam Forum, but that site seems to be pretty moribund these days.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »

Lightroom, pretty well since it began, although I ran it and iView in parallel for a period.

Yes, Peter's forum is moribund. It needs him to participate - I don't want to run it on my own!

John

Igor Karpov

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 05:25:59 am »

I like Media One. It integrates all manner of media files across many programs

Could you please give a sample workflow built around Media Pro?

I'm an Aperture refugee. I decided not to wait for the Apple's final solution to Aperture and, after some hesitations, bought me both Media
Pro and Capture One 7 (OSX). And now I'm looking for advices/recommendations on how to use them. Aperture workflow was extremely simple and
straightforward: I used to import my NEFs into some Aperture library, organize the photos inside of it to albums, check the previews, deleting the
bad pictures and rating the good ones. Then I handle the selected photos by Aperture tools as well as third-party tools, like Nik Software and
Portrait Professional. Both raw files and the TIFF/JPEG versions were kept in the same library and I was able to export or upload them
directly from Aperture.

Now I have to decide where to keep my raw files, as well as TIFF/JPEG. Should I use MP for maintaining all and every file and not to use C1
catalogs at all? Or it's better to keep only processed images in MP, importing raw files into C1 catalogs? I tend to MP, but still need advice on a suitable workflow.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »

In my opinion, Media Pro is the lesser of two evils.
However Media Pro hasn't seen any updates in quite a while, so that can be kinda scary.
Ironically, I hate the way Media Pro interacts with Capture One. Not as smooth as the interaction between LR and Photoshop.

So, personally, I keep all my stuff in Lightroom and edit in C1
LR's catalogue is really good, and I love the printing and soft proofing.

I made me template to send stuff from LR to C1.

If C1 had a good catalogue and could soft proof/print like LR then I'd be all in with C1.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:05 pm »

I have not used C1 in years, but I continue to use Media Pro. I have about 16TB of images (raw from six different cameras, & layered, compressed TIFF files with thumbnail), PDF files, Adobe Illustrator files, InDesign files, video footage from four different cameras and audio files in AIFF & mp3 formats. This is broken up into about twenty Media Pro catalog files, based on current client and studio use.

All media files are tagged with metadata & keywords—in Bridge—that is unique to the media. This is typically done on the job. This is critical. If it's not done, then finding any media file would be almost impossible.

Offline drives are catalogued by Media Pro before storage. Those catalog files are in their own hard drive directory to indicate that the data is offline.

When a client asks for an image or media, I open their corresponding catalog and type an identifier in the search slot (e.g., Thomas, heuchera, etc.) and the program shows all files with that keyword. If it's a TIFF file, I double click and Photoshop opens the file and I work the file as needed.

This process is so easy I don't know why it's more ubiquitous.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:43:19 am by Chris_Brown »
~ CB
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up