Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you catalog your images?  (Read 14173 times)

Gandalf

How do you catalog your images?
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:17:55 pm »

Like a lot of people, I want to get away from Adobe software because I don't like what they are doing with the Creative Cloud, but I'm not sure what is a reasonable alternative to Lightroom. Right now I shoot in Capture One sessions, and process final images in Photoshop CS5.  Once upon a time, iView was good, but it seems to be mostly abandoned (first by Microsoft, now by Phase One), not sure if Acdsee is still around or any good. I could upgrade to LR5 I suppose.

What is a reasonable alternative?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: How do you catalog your images?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:08:18 am »

Have you tried building your Catalog with Capture One Pro 7?
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

allegretto

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:26:54 pm »

I like Media One. It integrates all manner of media files across many programs

very stable and somewhat intuitive to use but does have a few quirks,not insurmountable

Gandalf

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:52 pm »

David,
I have been advised to avoid using catalogs in C1 by people I trust.

allegretto,
I'm trying Media Pro now. Well, trying to try it. I uploaded about 50,000 images to see how it works last week. It is still importing them and has a very long way to go.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »

I have about 16TB cataloged using Phase One's Media Pro and recommend it. I began using it way back when it was a run by a couple Brits and it was called iView, and it ran only on the Mac platform (Motorola & PowerPC chipsets back then). They sold it to Microsoft, who did nothing to it except charge for upgrades. Then they sold it to Phase One a few years ago (2005?), who has tried to integrate it with their Capture One software. It's a solid program. Using keywords I can find one image among 100,000 within seconds. You can try before you buy, too!
~ CB

tuthill

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »

I have about 16TB cataloged using Phase One's Media Pro and recommend it. I began using it way back when it was a run by a couple Brits and it was called iView, and it ran only on the Mac platform (Motorola & PowerPC chipsets back then). They sold it to Microsoft, who did nothing to it except charge for upgrades. Then they sold it to Phase One a few years ago (2005?), who has tried to integrate it with their Capture One software. It's a solid program. Using keywords I can find one image among 100,000 within seconds. You can try before you buy, too!

I too own Media Pro and the only issue I have with it is that it doesn't support my old Sigma SD9, SD10 or SD14 raws.  It will display a thumbnail but that's as far as it goes.  Works great for everything else.  Photo Supreme doesn't support the Sigmas either.  Lightroom on the other hand does but AFAIK doesn't support the newer Sigma offerings.

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:13:56 am »

David,
I have been advised to avoid using catalogs in C1 by people I trust.

allegretto,
I'm trying Media Pro now. Well, trying to try it. I uploaded about 50,000 images to see how it works last week. It is still importing them and has a very long way to go.

Hi Gandalf,

Fair enough, but often that advice may have come from a singular bad experience with a non current version of Capture One.

Why not try?  You have nothing to lose in testing it?

David

David Grover

Gandalf

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »

David, I am trying Media Pro right now with 90,000 images importing as we speak. I tried C1 catalogs when 7.0 came out and calling it buggy is being nice. I may give it another go. So far I have found a few things in LR5 that I really like over Media Pro. LR5 is very fast, I like the stacks feature for organizing the files that go into composite images (i.e. I can have the final and all the build files organized together), and I like how it handles variants better. I would love to see those last two features integrated into Media Pro or C1 catalogs.

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 03:49:05 am »

Hi Bill,

Well, 7.0 was the initial release and some months ago!  A lot has changed since then as we are now on 7.2.2!

David

David Grover

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:40 am »

I'm new to C1, and maybe I'm being a bit dim, but why is it necessary to have a separate program like Media Pro when there's a cataloging function within C1, which I thought should do the same thing (performance issues aside). In other words, what would Media Pro do that the C1 catalogue in theory can't? What am I missing?

Ian

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 01:39:46 pm »

Because Media Pro catalogues a wider range of assets. Imagine you do photo and video projects, for example, and they have related documents as audio, PDFs, Word, Excel etc which you want to control.

Then Aperture and Lightroom showed that a lot of people wanted raw converters which were integrated with catalogues which only handled photographs. That's why C1 added its cataloguing features.

John

ps the dim ones are those who don't ask (or think they know it all)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:43:39 pm by john beardsworth »

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »

Thanks John. One wonders why Phase didn't just incorporate Media Pro into C1. It presumably would have avoided all the adverse comments about C1's cataloging performance, given that MP seems to be well regarded.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:31:49 pm by Rawcoll »

The View

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:25:42 pm »

Is it more stable than the C1 Pro catalog? (OP, the people you trust: continue trusting them. They are right).

Also, in the C1 catalog keywording images is so awkward I'm simply not doing it. Is keywording in Media Pro as easy as in Lightroom (highlight, type, deselect, and you have given images keywords).?
I still have a license for Expression Media - is there an upgrade path to Media Pro?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:34 pm »

Hi Bill,

Well, 7.0 was the initial release and some months ago!  A lot has changed since then as we are now on 7.2.2!

David

My latest corrupted catalog was in 7.1.6 - never knew what destroyed the catalog. One day, I simply closed the program, next day it wouldn't open again.

So, no, it's still not prime time ready.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:49:27 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

ned

Re:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 01:20:45 am »

Imatch by phototools.com

The View

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 03:49:05 am »

No word on the reliability of Media One as an alternative to the C1 catalog?

Gandalf

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 01:53:28 pm »

So here are where things are at this point. Short story is back to Lightroom.

Media Pro: Not much has changed since it was iView. All the good and all the bad still apply. It is very slow, but it will catalog anything. What surprised me was that finding a range of photos was surprisingly unintuitive (for example, all the photos from a single shoot that are three stars and red label). My hope is if nothing else I could use the database to work with capture one.

Capture One Catalogs: I need to clarify that I still use and love C1 as a raw processor using sessions. However, every way I can dice the catalogs is a big steaming pile of fail. Import from Media Pro kind of works as long as all images are where the database says they are and are connect to the computer at the time of import. You can import about 20,000 images before it bogs and eventually crashes. Import images directly from files doesn't work either because it can only enumerate about 20,000 images before it bogs down. You can either add files one at a time or by larger directory (but one by lower level folders). I won't add files one at a time and it can't take a directory at time. So that failed. My final attempt was to import a Lightroom 5 database. It seemed to be going OK for about 16,000 images, then it began to bog down. When I tried to quitting the application took 15-20 min. It asked if I wanted to backup the database and it crashed, corrupting the database it just made. I may give it another go, but I'm not too excited to try something that continually fails.

Bottom line: when two Phase One dealers tell you that none of their software is really up to the task to use as a catalog, trust them. Media Pro has capabilities far beyond other catalog apps, but if you just need fast access to your photos, and a catalog that has some capability to work as a browser, it seems time has left it behind. If I could get the image quality from Lightroom that I get from C1, at this point I would just use it.

The View

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »

So here are where things are at this point. Short story is back to Lightroom.

Media Pro: Not much has changed since it was iView. All the good and all the bad still apply. It is very slow, but it will catalog anything. What surprised me was that finding a range of photos was surprisingly unintuitive (for example, all the photos from a single shoot that are three stars and red label). My hope is if nothing else I could use the database to work with capture one.

Capture One Catalogs: I need to clarify that I still use and love C1 as a raw processor using sessions. However, every way I can dice the catalogs is a big steaming pile of fail. Import from Media Pro kind of works as long as all images are where the database says they are and are connect to the computer at the time of import. You can import about 20,000 images before it bogs and eventually crashes. Import images directly from files doesn't work either because it can only enumerate about 20,000 images before it bogs down. You can either add files one at a time or by larger directory (but one by lower level folders). I won't add files one at a time and it can't take a directory at time. So that failed. My final attempt was to import a Lightroom 5 database. It seemed to be going OK for about 16,000 images, then it began to bog down. When I tried to quitting the application took 15-20 min. It asked if I wanted to backup the database and it crashed, corrupting the database it just made. I may give it another go, but I'm not too excited to try something that continually fails.

Bottom line: when two Phase One dealers tell you that none of their software is really up to the task to use as a catalog, trust them. Media Pro has capabilities far beyond other catalog apps, but if you just need fast access to your photos, and a catalog that has some capability to work as a browser, it seems time has left it behind. If I could get the image quality from Lightroom that I get from C1, at this point I would just use it.

Thanks. That's what I feared it would be. Phase One doesn't seem to get a handle on bringing their software up to speed. I still use Capture One as a RAW processor because I love it, but I wished someone would finally wake up at Phase One and bring the catalog to what Lightroom's catalog is: reliable, fast, and and keywording works.

ippolitois

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 04:36:34 pm »

Imatch. It's one of the most power tools for image cataloging. Blows the pants off of any of the others. http://www.photools.com/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:39:37 pm by ippolitois »

The View

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »

Imatch. It's one of the most power tools for image cataloging. Blows the pants off of any of the others. http://www.photools.com/

I think it's PC only, no Mac support.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up