Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better lens improve large print quality?  (Read 2043 times)

SZRitter

Better lens improve large print quality?
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:17:11 am »

I am shooting M43, and want to start making large prints (24" x 30" aprox.). My best lens is the 19mm Sigma. Would a better resolving lens, such as the Pan-Leica 25mm aid me in making said prints? Or is expecting a double increase through up-rezzing going to be too demanding on the system and I probably need to start at the ground up? My goal is about 240ppi on the final prints.

Telecaster

Re: Better lens improve large print quality?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:32 pm »

I'd recommend trying some large prints with the gear you've got. See how they look, then proceed from there as necessary.

-Dave-

SZRitter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:59:44 pm »

I have a 13 x 19" printer, so I was planning on doing a section of an image scaled appropriately. The only issue being, I'm not sure how a better lens will influence the output, as I don't have said better lens.

The backup plan right now is either a 6x6 SLR system (probably Broncia SQ) or Sony A6000 or A7 (can't afford the A7R and a lens).

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:50:16 pm »

Try what you own first.

Another way to do this if you like your m43 is to take over-lapping photos with a longer lens then assemble in PS or editor of your choice to get higher res.

Though I haven't printed too many larger images with my m43, I can tell you from experience that even using my 6-10-12 mp dSLR cameras, I've printed many, many 20x30 and 24xx36 prints and canvas prints and the quality is stunning. You may be able to do likewise, especially with the quality of today's lenses and sensors.

Until you do your testing, even a section from a larger print file (you can always tile and reassemble your prints), you will never know how well your crafting of your image will hold up. As always, your results will vary.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

SZRitter

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:05:47 pm »

Try what you own first.

Another way to do this if you like your m43 is to take over-lapping photos with a longer lens then assemble in PS or editor of your choice to get higher res.

Though I haven't printed too many larger images with my m43, I can tell you from experience that even using my 6-10-12 mp dSLR cameras, I've printed many, many 20x30 and 24xx36 prints and canvas prints and the quality is stunning. You may be able to do likewise, especially with the quality of today's lenses and sensors.

Until you do your testing, even a section from a larger print file (you can always tile and reassemble your prints), you will never know how well your crafting of your image will hold up. As always, your results will vary.

Very true. I have done plenty of stitching in the past, but generally I find it more annoying than helpful. I prefer (and this is a personal preference, nothing technical) to get everything in one shot as much as possible. Since I can do 13x19 borderless, it should be no issue to do overlapped prints.

I really would hate to give up the great feel of the E-M5. Honestly, it's a camera that allows me to love shooting again.

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:37:37 pm »

Yes, you will be able to see a difference even uprezzing in PP the 185% or so you will need to get to a 17x22 at 360 dpi (Epson native resolution, if you uprezzing to 240, the printer driver will just take it the rest of the way up, so you might as well do it in your PP workflow).  (I did head to head tests of the Olympus 14-54 and 12-60 4/3 system lenses, which is how I know.). But Depending on the two lenses and your shooting aperture it may or may not be significant.  I would try renting the other lens you are interested in from lensrentals.com, that's the only way you will really know.  I found the corners of the Sigma you have to be unimpressive, never had the PL.

degrub

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:30:36 pm »

A used Zuiko digital 14-35 f/2 with mmf-3 might give you what you want. Has a flat field which can help if you stitch and has the wide angle.  It will focus with the m5, but it is reliable with manual focus.

What type of shots ?

I have been using the 12-60 and have been eyeing the 14-35 for the two extra stops and better corners. Digilloyd's tests and Michael think highly of it, but you pay a penalty in weight. Waiting to see what the new Schneider m4/3 30mm character looks like and at what cost. GAS as much as anything, i reckon.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up