Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old & New Leica/GH3  (Read 1751 times)

raymond bleesz

Old & New Leica/GH3
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:40:35 am »

I own and use a Leica M3 and the original Summitar 50mm lens on my previous 1955 111f Leica--this threaded lens needed an adapter to mount onto the M3.

I am curious if, with the appropriate adapter which is (?????), there is merit in putting this Summitar threaded 50mm lens on a Pany GH3 which of course would require manuel focus???? and other issues, metering et al

Or is this just redundant & something better might serve its purpose----your thoughts/suggestions

Raymond

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Old & New Leica/GH3
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »

I own and use a Leica M3 and the original Summitar 50mm lens on my previous 1955 111f Leica--this threaded lens needed an adapter to mount onto the M3.

I am curious if, with the appropriate adapter which is (?????), there is merit in putting this Summitar threaded 50mm lens on a Pany GH3 which of course would require manuel focus???? and other issues, metering et al

Or is this just redundant & something better might serve its purpose----your thoughts/suggestions

Welcome to LuLa, and welcome to the world of legacy lenses on modern cameras. The GH3 crams 16 megapixels into 1/4 the area of a 35mm negative. If that resolution were scaled up to the full 35mm frame, we'd be talking about a 64 megapixel sensor. That fine a sensor array will show lens flaws that 35mm film won't, so be prepared for less than perfection. On the other hand, old lenses have a "look" that modern ones don't, and that look is a great fit for some photos.

Also be aware that your 50mm lens will have the angle of coverage on the micro 4/3 camera of a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera.

But why not try it? You've already got one adapter (screw mount to M), and you'll just have to get a M-to-micro 4/3 one. You can even buy a cheap adapter for 20 bucks or so and only spring for a Novoflex (or similar) after you've decided that you like using your old lens on your new camera.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:13:17 pm by Jim Kasson »

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:01 am »

But why not try it? You've already got one adapter (screw mount to M), and you'll just have to get a M-to-micro 4/3 one. You can even buy a cheap adapter for 20 bucks or so and only spring for a Novoflex (or similar) after you've decided that you like using your old lens on your new camera.

Jim
Rather than doubling up your adapters, just get a Leica screw mount > micro 4/3 adapter?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:07:31 am »

Rather than doubling up your adapters, just get a Leica screw mount > micro 4/3 adapter?

The OP said he had an M3 so I figured he had M lenses, too. Your approach would be more stable, but, at 50mm, I think adapter stability is more of a theoretical concern than an actual one.

Jim

Raymond Bleesz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:16 pm »

actually, I only have this one leica lens which is a tread mounted lens from a leica 111f & a adapter ring to mount it on the m3.  Raymond

speedyk

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:23 am »

Beware the cheap M4/3 adaptor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up