Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw & DNG Converter 8.4 no longer support Mac OS 10.6, Windows XP & Vista  (Read 17812 times)

Peter_DL

Oops

- FYI, just in case...

--

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com

Good.  I wish everyone would draw a line and stop gimping performance on current machines by draggin along backwards compatibility for all the cheap asses on the planet.

Peter_DL

... which certainly reveals your opinion - as well as your "style".

--

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com

Like I hide it LOL

Peter_DL

Sorry - no time to play with the forum trolls:

Profile settings > Ignorelist > kaelaria .

--

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I don't see this lack of support for an older OS being anything to fret about nor is it at all unexpected and seen in all kinds of software products. Considering the price of the DNG converter it's not hard to blame Adobe for this. These days it seems necessary to have an old laptop around to run older software you might need anyway. I found an old MacBook 17" non Intel for $160 on eBay that I use to run really, really old color management software that at the time cost thousands of dollars. It can even boot OS9 as there are products from those days that I may need to run. It's just what we have to live with IF we intend to run old software products. Otherwise, anyone who updates their software, in this context Lightroom, would have the newest DNG conversion and camera support anyway. What would be oops is not anticipating how to deal with legacy software once you upgrade your hardware or OS.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

loosecanon

Surely the problem will come when they drop camera formats from the converter

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

Surely the problem will come when they drop camera formats from the converter

I seriously doubt that will ever happen...once you spend the time to decode a file format, the work is already done. Dropping a format would be wasting the work already done.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos

I understand not wanting to support old platforms but still. I'm running 10.7.5 on a white iMac. That hardware won't run anything newer but I don't care, it does everything I need. Same with my Aperture 3.4. It is perfectly sufficient for lots of people, I suspect. But sooner or later, I may want to buy a camera whose RAW won't be supported by my computer hardware/software, and I find that annoying as hell, because there likely won't be any meaningful technical reason for that restriction. I, and others, might even be willing to pay to have that new RAW incorporated into my older apps, but I won't get that option.
--
Robert

WaitingForAnR10

I understand not wanting to support old platforms but still. I'm running 10.7.5 on a white iMac. That hardware won't run anything newer but I don't care, it does everything I need. Same with my Aperture 3.4. It is perfectly sufficient for lots of people, I suspect. But sooner or later, I may want to buy a camera whose RAW won't be supported by my computer hardware/software, and I find that annoying as hell, because there likely won't be any meaningful technical reason for that restriction. I, and others, might even be willing to pay to have that new RAW incorporated into my older apps, but I won't get that option.

I wasn't happy with 10.7, they removed several features that I use and like.  Plus, I really don't care for my desktop looking like an iPad.  My solution was to create a second partition for 10.7, where I can update to the latest version of software, but stay in 10.6 as much as I can.

xpatUSA

• Blog

Sorry - no time to play with the forum trolls:
--

OT but related:

Is saying "don't feed the troll" feeding the troll?   ;D
best regards,

Ted

Herbc

One of Adobe's techies told me a few years ago they were mandated to change software every 18 months.  Maybe if they had fewer engineers they could stretch that?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

That is the way things are. Just to mention, Capture 1 8 doesn't work on Mac OS 10.8, needs 10.9.

New OS-es bring new features that the programs depend on, we have to live with it.

Best regards
Erik

Oops

- FYI, just in case...

--
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up