Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus and Fuji Videos  (Read 14939 times)

aragdog

Olympus and Fuji Videos
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:05:44 pm »

The videos are great and one thing you missed is that the screen on the OM is tough screen, so if you are an old man as I am you can use that when you reach way, way down!!!  I agree that the OLY is more "usable" of the two.  I have them both.  I also agree with the comment that it is so easy to use either one in travel, light, oh so light.  After some travel with the D800E and a lot of stuff, this is a relief and all photos are so usable.  Our local camera club had an outing and no tripods and still great photos here.

thebatman

Re: Olympus and Fuji Videos
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:34:54 am »

Yes, thanks very much for the comparison.  Unfortunately I am still completely on the fence about which one to buy!  (coming from EM5)

Lots to like about the EM1 and that 12-40 lens looks great.  On the other hand for people/family I feel like the shallower DoF you can get with the Fuji would be a key benefit (e.g. 23 1.4 on Fuji giving better results than 17 1.8 on the EM1).

Will have to figure out how to make a decision one way or another...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:55:54 am »

It's a hard choice.  I have both and I'm always debating which one to grab each day.  I will say that as of now Fuji has the most dedicated lens line up.  The 56mm 1.2 lens is incredible if you do portraits and want a shallow DOF.  The 10-24 is a great lens to shoot with in many situations.  As I explained in the video the 10-24, 18-55, 55-200 plus the 56 make such a great light weight kit.  However, when Olympus releases its Pro lenses all bets will be changing.  The Olympus has a great touch screen and a lot of other plusses going for it.  The Olympus has a great number of 4/3 lenses but they are just not that fast at focusing as the new pro lenses.

All I can say is choose wisely.  I chose both.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

thebatman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:59:05 pm »

Thanks Kevin.  Yes, hard choice indeed.  I think the 56 may tilt the balance to Fuji.  Have you received the XT1 grip and would you recommend it?

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:23 am »

I hummed and hahed about paying 10 bucks, but glad I did. I became a member of the Olympus MFT club recently, and it was great to see Kevin's enthusiasm for the camera :-)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:55:12 am »

Yes, I have the XT-Grip and would recommend it.  It fits right into an Arca Swiss Clamping tripod.  Pretty cool to have. I am finding I am shooting with the battery grip most of the time.  It just fits my big hands better.

I am working on an article of my week with the Fuji XT as well as I'll be doing one on my week with the Olympus.  I'll cover a number of different more in depth things in the article.  I still think the image quality is quite amazing.  I am falling more in love with the 56mm 1.2 everyday. 

Stay tuned.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

aragdog

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:21:54 pm »

One more thing.  Took both to a little kids party that my GrandDaughter was invited to.  Ok  3 and 4 year olds running around.  The focus speed on the Olympus was a clear winner, but the X-T1 was not slouch either.  I am glad that I sold some old film stuff a few months ago and I am having fun.  One last thing is, that with either you get great and focused photos all of the time.  No kidding, great.

eddes

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:36:31 pm »

I liked your video. :)
You do seem to favor the Olympus. At least, that`s the impression I have. You`re 1, oft repeated, critique of the Fuji is the lack of a histogram in review mode. As an owner of a Fuji XE-2 (bought just before the XT-1 was announced) I am surprised. I have a histogram in review mode on my XE-2 complete with flashing highlights. I am running the latest firmware. You set it as your default by pressing the DISP/BACK button while in review mode the using the dial to choose "Detail Information".

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:20 pm »

I am torn between both systems to be perfectly frank.  The Fuji has a complete set of very nice dedicated lenses and is very fast.  The Olympus is more customizable.  I normally always have a camera with me and I have both of these systems in nice kits on my camera shelf.  I tend to be pulling different ones each day and I am happy each day.

The histogram issue is what is shown after the shot.  I can get the histogram to show in play mode but not right after the shot.  And it is only a overall histogram.  I have spoken to the Fuji folks (who are really good) and they know about this.  Will be interesting to see if it gets back to Japan and then back to us as a firmware update.

Kevin

P.S. My Fuji is going back to Fuji tomorrow as it has a light leak when the accessory for is open and cable release attached.  We'll see how fast the turnaround is.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:14:26 am »

Perfect timing! Just as I'm in the midst of choosing between the two, along comes a video that compares both. Although I must admit I was hoping that my mind would be made up after watching :S

Kevin I know you mentioned that you feel the cameras are equal in regards to image quality, a view seemingly shared by Michael with his statement that the E-M1 and it's contemporaries would satisfy, "all but the most neurotic pixel peeper". Now feel free to call me neurotic, *but*, did you encounter any of the mushy foliage issues mentioned by some other reviewers and users? I know that this sort of thing obviously is dependent on the settings used for noise reduction, and whether shooting JPEG or RAW. It just feels to me like the Fuji XT-1, to a degree, is faking it when it comes to how good its images appear, especially shots at higher sensitivities. Was this reflected in your experience?

Likewise, did you have any troubles with the lack of a low pass filter on the E-M1? I know that moire can be corrected in post, but I'd hate to have to add this to the list of things to do for a job, or worse, overlook some serious banding in an image. If the Fuji has one advantage over the Olympus, it would have to be the absence of moire in the files it produces, despite also lacking a low pass filter.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:12 am »

The choice is a hard one to make.  Since I have both my choice is which one will I use either day.  The Fuji has the lenses for sure right now.  However once Olympus releases the other Pro lenses it will be an even harder choice.  The Fuji camera is a hard one for RAW processors to work with as it required all new math because its chip is not designed like a regular Bayer Pattern chip.  Moire and issues like you asked about have not popped up yet in any shots I have done.  Being a Phase One user I have had to deal with have no AA filter for years and it is not a problem.  I have not noticed issues with either camera since I have had them.  The mussy green you read about are an issue with RAW processors.  While I consider my self really good at LR I favor and use C1 most of the time.  Capture One allows me to set up workflows and workspaces that fit my photography.  It also as many will tell you yields a much different end result in file output including the mushy green issues in foliage.  I worked with Phase One sending them files for the XT-1 and they did a lot of tweaking.  Not just a meta data change.  The results I am getting out of C1 for the XT-1 are great.  No issues with greens.  Phase One has a new engine with C1 7 and you should read about that a bit.  Totally new math and it handles reds and greens really well.  A side by side output from LR and C1 may surprise you. 

Frankly I really like the Fuji.  This week sees my Fuji in the shop to fix a light leak (well documented).  So it is an Olympus week.  And it will be an Olympus week next week too as I head off to do a special project.  I'll be doing an article on my week with the Olympus.  My week with the Fuji will be published soon.

Both cameras are different beasts.  You need to hold them and try them.  The Olympus has far more customizable options.  You'll have to dig down in manuals and fuss a lot to set it up but it very versatile.  A lot of shooters will never use many of the features in the Olympus.  The Fuji is a bit more old school and thus more fun to shoot with. Once you get the hang of it it really is a blast to shoot with.  It has not disappointed me.  As explained elsewhere here the 3 lens kit plus the 56mm all fitting in my vest pockets makes this a dream camera.  The 50-200mm lens I am using on the Olympus is a beast and it is slow focusing on the the Olympus.  It's like I said the Fuji has the lenses.  Olympus will have them.

As far as higher ISO Shooting both cameras handle this very well.  I always shoot RAW so jpeg doesn't even enter into my vocabulary.  I have pushed the Fuji to some high ISO shots and it is amazing.  C1 may a lot to do with that too. 

I plan on doing some real long exposures next week with the Olympus and will be also reporting on the new LEE filter system for these smaller cameras.  One thing I like about the Olympus is Live Bulb.  This has to be seen to be appreciated. 

Both cameras allow for remote shooting with Apps, also really cool to use.

There is no w/a zoom for the Olympus right now.  I use the pang 7-14 and it is just OK.  The 10-24 on the Fuji is astounding.  But, Olympus will release a Pro 7-14 hopefully this year.

So, most likely I still sound like I am sitting on the fence.  My advice go to a store where you can hold both.  Compare the look through the viewfinders and then decide what works best for the kind of shooting you do.  Or if you are like em get both. 

Kevin Raber

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:07:35 am »

For me the lenses aren't quite there yet, as a fast telephoto zoom is still pending for both (two for Fuji apparently), which is what I need. Although that said, Olympus has access to the Panasonic 35-100, and feedback I've heard of the Fuji 55-200 is all positive. It seems that the Olympus has the better ergonomics, both in general, and for a telephoto lens. And if there's one thing I appreciate about my E-M5, it's the ability to program the shadow and highlight warnings to between 9 and 250, a rough ballpark for print. The only thing stopping me rushing out and buying the Olympus is that I've run up against the E-M5s limitations several times in the past few months, both in terms of AF tracking, extra headroom in RAW (or lack of), and image noise in anything other than good lighting. Now, whilst some of that may well come down to technique (or lack of), is the E-M1 body much of an upgrade over the E-M5 in terms of image quality? Or would the XT-1 better address these issues? I think that's a question many people looking at these two cameras are wondering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up