Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 500px  (Read 7588 times)

Stephane Desnault

500px
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:05:43 am »

Does anyone here have experience with 500px for selling prints and/or licensing work ? I'd appreciate any feedback!

I'm currently using it purely as a convenient showcase, uploading low res pics (1600px along the longer side), and I am wondering if it's a good idea to take advantage of their commercial distribution offering.

(For the curious, my portfolio is at www.500px.com/stephaned)

Best regards,

Stephane

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: 500px
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:46:19 am »

You could just try it out on 500px and 500px Prime. The latter is just launched so we need to see how it works.

For me the most value of 500px is that people find me there and I have had a number on workshops who found me there. Also I have been included in a number of books and photo magazines via 500px. The sales on the site has been limited so far to downloads. I have a number of my images now on 500px Prime so I'm awaiting sales from the there. 500px Prime takes in pictures based on a review process where on 500px you can set any picture up for sale. Time will tell if 500px Prime is successful or not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:21:51 am by Hans Kruse »

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:06:51 pm »

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the clear feedback - I found you on 500px, your work is great!

Best regards,

Stephane

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:39 am »

Thanks Stephane  ;D

orc73

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »

the question is what buyer will go to 500px, what kind of photos would he buy.
I don't see a real chance for them. Many photographers show great pictures there, but who would pay money for having those pictures?
I know that sounds sad.

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 12:19:46 pm »

Many photographers show great pictures there, but who would pay money for having those pictures?
I know that sounds sad.

It doesn't sound sad, but it does sound negative. I had two sales through Alamy on Friday. The total to me was $28, and with the market this low we have to take every opportunity we can to maximise our sales potential. If nobody buys from there I have lost nothing as a 500px contributor, but if I only get one sale then it is of value.

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 01:15:01 pm »

... If nobody buys from there I have lost nothing as a 500px contributor, but if I only get one sale then it is of value.

One downside of selling on 500px is that it is royalty free, which precludes you from selling through royalty-only libraries (which generally pay better). Another downside is that their terms allow "unlimited printing" of bought photos, which might lead to someone selling your photos as prints at art fairs etc.

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:03 pm »

Does anyone here have experience with 500px for selling prints and/or licensing work ? I'd appreciate any feedback!

I'm currently using it purely as a convenient showcase, uploading low res pics (1600px along the longer side), and I am wondering if it's a good idea to take advantage of their commercial distribution offering.

(For the curious, my portfolio is at www.500px.com/stephaned)

Best regards,

Stephane

I have only allowed a couple of pics for their commercial distribution. For me - I agree with Slobodan's comment which to me equates to pointing out a lot of risk of misuse of terms and perhaps too much use allowed for not all that much money. For now I am just not sure about proceeding further with images I highly value, and maybe proceed with images I do not highly value. The world is awash in images, even in good and great ones. I am studying SEO!
Cheers,
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up