Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Western Isles  (Read 3175 times)

KMRennie

Western Isles
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »

Taken last May on Iona facing West, next stop Labrador. 100s exposure, big stopper. I will need to work out how to remove colour casts sometime as this was done by trying to remember what a sunset 10 months ago looked like. Has anyone tried using a colour passport with and without a big stopper to work out how to remoce casts? oops replaced the file as I posted the wrong one.
Ken
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:46:16 pm by KMRennie »

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
Re: Western Isles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:36:42 pm »

Nice one, Ken. One of the most amazing places. We spent some marvellous days on Iona and opposite Mull a year back.
I don't have a signature.

Jon Meddings

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:25 pm »

What a great shot.  I can't comment on the accuracy of the colors but they are beautiful!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:15 pm »

A beautiful moment, well-captured.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:32:24 am »

Very good photo. I sometimes get a magenta cast with my ND filter in long exposures, which I remove "by eye".

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:46:15 pm »

I obviously have too much time on my hands. I took shots of a 21 step grey wedge and Kodak colour card with and without a big stopper and worked out how to neutralize the colour cast. I then found a shot taken within 5 minutes without the stopper and merged the rocks of the non stoppered shot with the water and sky of the the shot with the stopper with the colour cast neutralised. Here it is. I don't know if the differences show at this size on a jpeg but the image positively glows on my monitor. The big stopper has introduced some flare which has softened and reduced the contrast of the original image. The sky will look a little different becasuse I warped it down a little in the original post to bring the bright patch down closer to the horizon. I have done it differently this time. I hope you like this one. Wim I agree about Iona a very calm and spiritual place.
Ken

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:30:10 pm »

I think the second version is better, but the first wasn't bad at all.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

sniper

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:57 am »

Lovely shot, I think the second version is better, but only when compared with the first, either are fine on their own.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »

Both very fine.
Both have humps on the left-hand horizon. Waves? Islands? Editing? Nit of the day.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »

Lovely shot, I think the second version is better, but only when compared with the first, either are fine on their own.

Absolutely. Very pleasing, very peaceful. Lovely to look at.

Both have humps on the left-hand horizon. Waves? Islands?

Whales?  ;)

Jeremy

KMRennie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Much as I would have liked the humps to be whales they are islands. Whales, sharks, dolphins and seals are all frequently spotted. Iona also has a much sunnier and less wet climate than the rest if the Hebrides. That's me doing my bit for the Scottish Tourist Board.
Ken

batmura

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »

Great work! The second one is slightly better for me.

Adrian Sun

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 10:29:08 pm »

Taken last May on Iona facing West, next stop Labrador. 100s exposure, big stopper. I will need to work out how to remove colour casts sometime as this was done by trying to remember what a sunset 10 months ago looked like. Has anyone tried using a colour passport with and without a big stopper to work out how to remoce casts? oops replaced the file as I posted the wrong one.
Ken

Great images.

I usually take a "reference" shot before using using my Hoya ND400.  I've also been wondering whether it's worth getting an X-Rite ColorChecker to deal with colour casts, but have not yet taken the plunge .

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:49:30 am »

Sounds as if it was a nice learning experience for you. Often today’s long technical challenge becomes tomorrows arrow in the big bag of tricks.

How long did it take to get the Big Stopper?

KMRennie

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:46:08 pm »

Got the big stopper a year ago. Found a camera shop with 1 in stock. I use the Lee seven 5 size on my Fuji Xe1 and find the whole thing is the smallest high image quality system that I can afford. I do long distance cycle trips and can take my Fuji with 18-55 and 14mm in my handlebar bag. The images are usually poor, probably due to my not being able to wait for the perfect light. It could also be due to my lack of talent
Ken

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »

A beautiful moment, well-captured.

What Terry said... me too.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up