Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus EFC firmware update  (Read 4697 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Olympus EFC firmware update
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:43:30 am »

Given all the discussions on shutter shock on the Sony A7R the missing acknowledgement of this issue from Sony, it is interesting to see that Olympus takes this serious.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/31/olympus-updates-om-d-e-m1-with-electronic-first-curtain-anti-shock?utm_campaign=external-link&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&ref=notification

There is a (sort of) mistake in the text as they say that this is different from DSLR's. For DSLR's that shoot in live view this is a similar problem. Canon has for the last 5 years or so provided EFC for live shooting. Nikon has not on any of their DSLR's to my knowledge. On the D800E (which I own) their is a way to avoid the double shutter shock in LV by also setting the camera on MUP which in case of LV shooting means that the shutter needs to be activated twice for each picture. First to close the shutter and second to open the shutter. Still not EFC but at least eliminating the shock from the double movement of the shutter to initiate the exposure.

Shall we await an update from Sony?

Vladimirovich

Re: Olympus EFC firmware update
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »

probably Panasonic sensor was designed to be able provide such support (the one in E-M1 and GH4)... note that Sony sensor based Olympus' cameras did not get such update.

BJL

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »

probably Panasonic sensor was designed to be able provide such support (the one in E-M1 and GH4)... note that Sony sensor based Olympus' cameras did not get such update.
That's my interpretation too.  To be fair to Sony though, some of its most recent sensors do support electronic first curtain: the A7 has it, though the A7R does not. (Which BTW is one of the clearest indications that the sensor of the A7R is at most a slight update of that in the D800, not a fully new design.)  The optimistic conclusion is that EFC is well on is way to being a standard feature; good news for mirrorless systems and for live view operation in general.

stever

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:50:45 pm »

even better news if Panasonic does it for the GM1 and GX7 - don't know whether the GH4 has it or not

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:39:02 pm »

even better news if Panasonic does it for the GM1 and GX7 - don't know whether the GH4 has it or not
EFCS requires some sensor support and I doubt that GM1 or GX7 have the same sensor as E-M1 or GH4...

stever

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:43:00 am »

same sensor

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:39:41 pm »

same sensor
same sensor in both GM1 and GX7, but what makes you think that it is the same sensor as GH4 or E-M1 have...

stever

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »

confirmed on a couple of the mirrorless boards eg 4/3 rumors a few weeks ago

the Sony sensor used in the m5 and m10 does not have electronic shutter capability.  something of a mystery why Olympus chose the Panasonic sensor for the m1 though as most reports show is as having slightly worse resolution than the m5 and m10.  maybe Olympus understood the seriousness of shutter shake and just got around to the EFC.  almost certainly some video benefits

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:48:58 am »

That's my interpretation too.  To be fair to Sony though, some of its most recent sensors do support electronic first curtain: the A7 has it, though the A7R does not. (Which BTW is one of the clearest indications that the sensor of the A7R is at most a slight update of that in the D800, not a fully new design.)  The optimistic conclusion is that EFC is well on is way to being a standard feature; good news for mirrorless systems and for live view operation in general.

I hope so as Canon has had it for ages now. The lack of EFC and lack of using the buffer when shooting in LV is my single biggest complaint about the D800E I have. The lack of EFC comes from the sensor design I assume. But the lack of using the buffer is not and has been complained about by many photographers and why Nikon hasn't fixed this in a firmware upgrade leaves me disappointed. The Canon 5D III I also have can shoot in LV and you can take it out of LV immediately while it is still writing to the card(s). The D800E not.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:17 pm »

confirmed on a couple of the mirrorless boards eg 4/3 rumors a few weeks ago

confirmed how exactly ? because I read on couple of boards that there are some green little aliens around ? did chipworks tear camera's down ? somebody from Olympus went on records ? some user teared the camera down ?

stever

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:02:25 pm »

shut up and do the research yourself

stever

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:00 pm »

sorry for being sharp - the M1 sensor in manufactured by Panasonic (Chipworks Teardown) but is probably not the same as the GX 7 - on-chip phase detection AF is added to the Olympus (or deleted or inactive on the Panasonic version).  Not sure where the GH4 fits in - same image size in pixels as the M1 but different total pixels in the specs for whatever that's worth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up