Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A suggestion for Sigma… let aperture ring back!  (Read 2441 times)

Theodoros

A suggestion for Sigma… let aperture ring back!
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:17:15 am »

I suggest that they offer a second version of their Art Nikon F fit lenses, with mechanical aperture and aperture ring and with no AF but with "real" DOF scale on them (like Zeiss and Samyang are doing). Especially if the highly rumoured 24mm f1.4 Art will soon be with us, they have a lot to benefit from such a decision…

1. There is a huge video market (or photo/video hybrid users) via adapters that they could be very competitive on
2. They would provide an alternative to those that invest on Nikon AI/AI-s or Leica R or C/Y glass due to lens functioning… especially as far as WAs are concerned…
3. They will be a very popular choice among users of the (well selling) DF camera…
4. They may take "revenge" for the 14 million court decision that they were judged paying to Nikon  ;D ….and perhaps make the money back!

Anyway… why Nikon fit lenses (manual or AF) abandoned the aperture ring is still a mystery to me…,  ??? the one that brings it back (whether Nikon or other) has a lot to benefit market wise!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:32:32 am by T.Dascalos »

Fine_Art

Re: A suggestion for Sigma...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »

I agree, video on DSLRs is an empty promise with no aperture control.

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »

I agree, video on DSLRs is an empty promise with no aperture control.

It surely is… but more than that, is the fact that modern designs have enforced a change in traditional photographic habits, and even more….. as Nikon D series of lenses proved, they could have retained both current and past functioning, without one affecting the other at all and let the user choose which one he prefers better... Instead, they decided without ever asking the market. Now, they have many of the possible customers choosing a different lens than what they would optically aim for, only because functioning doesn't suit them.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:23:28 pm »

We don't know the reasons between this decision, do we?

My guess would be that it is tightly related to their choice of materials and the decision to optimise mechanical durability while optimising weight and improving weather resistance.

Cheers,
Bernard

Theodoros

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:50 am »

We don't know the reasons between this decision, do we?

My guess would be that it is tightly related to their choice of materials and the decision to optimise mechanical durability while optimising weight and improving weather resistance.

Cheers,
Bernard

It's hard for me to believe that the Zeiss or the Samyang or the AI-AIs are considered as of inferior build quality… This is further proven by the previous series of Nikon's own "D"-series of lenses, where neither the 17-35, nor the ("beast") 28-70 or even the latest versions of 300 f2.8Dii & 400 f2.8Dii where of lesser build quality (some consider them even better) with respect to the current lenses that replaced them… IMO, it has nothing to do with lens design choices or materials… it is only a matter that they judged at the times where the G series of lenses started, that they should follow similar to Canon Eos mount solutions (ergonomically), because they thought that the customers would judge the existence of the aperture ring as being "anachronistic"… although the ergonomics were the same as they are today and could even provide more solutions to the experienced user of the lens… In other words, they simply thought that the existence of the aperture ring, would "scare" some new comers and other "basic" users off… So, they decided against the more experienced user who could find use for it… Let alone that they "killed" the compatibility with their own older cameras and thus they damaged (Nikon did) the appreciation they had among them….

I believe that they (in Nikon) would never had abandoned the D-series of lenses, if they knew the photo/video imaging convergence that would follow, …it is clearly a misjudgment of things. What is surprising is that they don't consider to resurrect the D-series of lenses, but they insist on the G-series. They could clearly make the more expensive lenses and the primes that address to the creative market with an aperture ring (D-series) and only make the cheaper lenses without an aperture ring… Look at how much simpler the DF would be if the modern lenses would have an aperture ring. Funny thing is, that many of their lenses still in production are of the D-series and in many of them, they retain that stupid "AF-via an axle" design, which reduces the MF performance of the lens considerably than if it was MF or if it had an internal AF motor (AF-S system) in the lens. Nikon's lens series is an ergonomics mess as it is… new comers or people that are "changing ship" to the firm from other brants, need a tutorial on what lens does what!

If they would have only integrate the (much better) AF-s motor and would have worked on improving the DOF scales window on the lenses to gradually replace the ancient axle type focusing, they would have avoid all this mess and the lenses would have many more appliances as well full compatibility with the past cameras… As it is, they loose many customers from buying their lenses (and cameras too) and so do the "independent" lens makers that provide their lenses without an aperture ring.

pluton

Re: A suggestion for Sigma… let aperture ring back!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:21 am »

Agree here that the future is multi-platform, and that the main reason Nikon abandoned aperture rings had more to do with catching up with Canon(in their minds).  There are adapters that reestablish aperture control on the Nikon G lenses, but so far they've been a kludge solution.

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:59:28 am »

Indeed- using a D800E  and a Sony A7/7r, The Sigma is a non starter.  I got one of the adapters that allow you to "pick a number " for the f stop, but sent it back. 
Who knows what goes on in the minds of the folks a Nikon/Sony/Leica that make decisions like removing the aperture ring-I suspect they have some young engineers who have no history with film photography, and decide that nobody uses aperture rings anymore.  Zeiss has no aperture rings on their autofocus lenses, so go figure.  Sounds like a communist conspiracy.

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

The most interesting part, is that they turn their back to some of their possible customers without having anything to benefit from doing so…
Pages: [1]   Go Up