Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghosts of summers past  (Read 1155 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Ghosts of summers past
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:19:39 am »

I recently got back to Digital Medium Format after a couple of years of absence, getting a Pentax 645D with some lens, oldies and new. To put it through its paces, last month I went to the beautiful Cinque Terre in Italy. Here is the story and the images.

Many years ago, as a teenager I used to go on holiday with my family to beautiful Riomaggiore, the first village of the Cinque Terre, on Italy's west coast. During the day, I spent my time on the rocky seaside, jumping in and out of the sea, or go to see friends in Manarola, the next village; after dinner, we'd enjoy the cool evenings walking around the village, eating ice cream, talking with friends. I haven't been to the Cinque Terre since, missing for more than two decades, until this winter I decided to go back to revisit the places where I used to spend my summer days and see what they'd look like both through the looking glass of time and through the lens of my camera.

The pool's waters

The rocks and the stones are the same, and so is the sea; what is different are the feet walking on them and their intent.

Trapped

Walking on them back then it felt like being on my personal springboard towards the open sea, and with it towards the future; now it felt like awaking long sleeping GHOSTS OF SUMMERS PAST, each with their own story to tell.

Sunbed

Night swimming

The images in this Portfolio tell some of these stories, each being the ghost of events that happened there more than 20 years ago. Please check out GHOSTS OF SUMMERS PAST for the rest of the images.

Now for the technical details: all images have been shot with the Pentax 645D, equipped with the Pentax 645D FA 55mm f/2.8 and the oldies but goodies manual focus Pentax 645 A 150mm f/3.5 and Pentax 645 A 200mm f/4.

Thank you for viewing! Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

churly

Re: Ghosts of summers past
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:53:22 am »

I have a soft spot for this type of image so I find them very satisfying; particularly 1 & 3 that set the hard lines against the soft water.  Very nice study of place and personal history. 
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:45:54 pm »

I like these a lot. Thanks for posting them!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:45:05 am »

Lovely set of images. My favourite is #1.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:12:48 am »

#1 and #3 are my favorites, but the whole series (including the ones on your website) is very beautiful.
Cheers
~Chris

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »

I have a soft spot for this type of image so I find them very satisfying; particularly 1 & 3 that set the hard lines against the soft water.  Very nice study of place and personal history. 

I like these a lot. Thanks for posting them!

Lovely set of images. My favourite is #1.

#1 and #3 are my favorites, but the whole series (including the ones on your website) is very beautiful.
Cheers
~Chris

Thank you very much everyone, I really appreciate your time and comments  ;D

@ churly: thank you, it was moving and it felt great to go back to place where I spent 5-6 years of my childhood after so long and being able to tell its stories with my camera...
@ Christoph: thank you for taking the time to check out my website as well, much appreciated!
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up