Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone left Canon for Sony? I could use some advice.  (Read 9489 times)

Vladimirovich

Re: Has anyone left Canon for Sony? I could use some advice.
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:47 am »

The A7 is much better for blackout and matches (and maybe quicker) than dslrs since it has an electronic shutter.
A7 has EFCS and so do some dSLRs (like Canons if I am not mistaken)

CptZar

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 11:11:19 am »

The focus peaking can be achieved by using Magic Lantern.
Not as with the Sony. There is only a beta version available for the 5DIII, it does not work with unchiped lenses, and you can't really compare it to the quality of the Sony build in focus peaking. At least I found it very inadequate.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 11:20:24 am »

Not as with the Sony. There is only a beta version available for the 5DIII, it does not work with unchiped lenses, and you can't really compare it to the quality of the Sony build in focus peaking. At least I found it very inadequate.

I haven't used Sony's focus peaking to comment on which one is better, but I have used 5DII + focus peaking which I thought was more than sufficient help, especially for landscape photography.

About it not working with un-chipped lenses, I guess the person doesn't have to worry about that for his Canon tilt shift lenses.

YMMV depending on what lenses you plan to use.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »

yes i do that ... and its hard for me to tell which system i like more.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

peterottaway

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 07:08:29 pm »

I haven't used Sony's focus peaking to comment on which one is better, but I have used 5DII + focus peaking which I thought was more than sufficient help, especially for landscape photography.

About it not working with un-chipped lenses, I guess the person doesn't have to worry about that for his Canon tilt shift lenses.

YMMV depending on what lenses you plan to use.

Stockholm Syndrome ?

If you have limited needs then Canon is OK. But that is a major point Canon is complacent in its current industry dominant position and does just enough not to damage its current bottom line.

MrSmith

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 07:39:42 pm »

Sony battery chargers and metabones nex to canon adapters are very hard to get hold of in the uk at the moment, I wonder if that's indicative of people not jumping ship but getting an A7(r) as a compliment to their canon system?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:06 pm »

The genius of Sony here is that they have clearly targeted the Canon shooters looking for a way to use their excellent lenses with a more recent sensor technology. The problem they will be facing though is that this may be a one shot win without the expected long term revenue stream normally associated with interchangeable lenses cameras.

Indeed, considering how cheap the Sony is, I am not sure why any Canon shooter would want/have to sell his Canon equipment. Those guys are likely to invest back in Canon bodies as soon as something worthwhile comes out.

Btw, Thom Hogan has just released his review of both, he is recommending the a7 over the a7r.

Cheers,
Bernard

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 10:50:31 pm »

Stockholm Syndrome ?

If you have limited needs then Canon is OK. But that is a major point Canon is complacent in its current industry dominant position and does just enough not to damage its current bottom line.

Although I agree about complacency from Canon, I think your hyperbole is misplaced. I don't need to try out whatever newfangled focus peaking tech is offered out there to know whether my current setup with ML got me the shot in focus or not. How much nicer the Sony's system is compared to Magic Lantern, and whether it's justified in cost is a personal choice.

The point of contention was only about focus peaking and EVF helping for original poster's Tilt shift lens usage, for the rest YMMV. Not to mention, the A7R + metabones may or may not be completely compatible with the tilt shift lenses. (Yes, I am aware of Graham Clark and the others who are researching this option now). I love my 24 TS-E II to death and I'm convinced that combined with the 6D, it's in the big boys club.

Personally, I'll take the DP Merrill trilogy over the A7R/A7 any day of the week with that kinda money.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:53:05 pm by powerslave12r »
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

hjulenissen

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 02:21:23 am »

The genius of Sony here is that they have clearly targeted the Canon shooters looking for a way to use their excellent lenses with a more recent sensor technology. The problem they will be facing though is that this may be a one shot win without the expected long term revenue stream normally associated with interchangeable lenses cameras.

Indeed, considering how cheap the Sony is, I am not sure why any Canon shooter would want/have to sell his Canon equipment. Those guys are likely to invest back in Canon bodies as soon as something worthwhile comes out.
Yes, I have considered this.

One the one hand, it might be that FF system cameras are sold at a loss/small margin, while the profits are made once the customer is "locked in" to a system. I certainly know that this was the case for guitars vs guitar strings etc when I worked my way through college. If this is the case, then perhaps Canon should be just as happy if they keep selling the same (high-profit) lenses, only to be mounted on Sony cameras instead of their own. And Sony would (once again) be making great technology without earning money.

But I have a feeling that this is too simple. Perhaps some enthusiasts have a drawer filled with old eastern-european lenses and Canon tilt shifts. I think that they are a minority. The majority of customers (and the Sony A7 is a moderate cost camera) might currently have a crop DSLR camera or MILF, and need new lenses when swapping body. I am guessing that many will primarily want an allround zoom lens with decent aperture, stabilization and AF performance (stills and video). And they might want a large-aperture prime or two (still good AF performance) and possibly a tele-zoom. They might want a flash or two (Sony, of course). All of a sudden, you have a nice flow of cash into Sonys pockets.

It is interesting to see what these cameras will do to the market.

-h

CptZar

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 02:37:16 am »

Not sure about the lens argument too. At least I sold mine. I had a 85/1.2 50/1.2 and 24-105. I could have kept the 85/1.2 but why keep the 50/1.2,and the zoom if there is an excellent 55/1.8 half the size, and a small 24-70/4? Together with the coming 70-200/4 this an makes excellent little combo. Much less in size and weight that any  DSLR solution. So it's not only Canon, but others too, which are in focus.

But.... I did not change the Canon mount of my third party TS lenses, who knows, what will happen...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:58:25 am by CptZar »

stevesanacore

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 08:17:45 am »

I have been waiting for lots of reviews dealing with the shutter vibration and the compressed raw issues before adding the Sony A7R to my mix. As of my last upgrades, I use Canon 5Dmk3's for my lifestyle work and Nikon D800E's for my architectural work. The Sony would be a perfect replacement for the Nikon role as I could then use all my Canon lenses on it including the superb shift lenses. I'm hoping the new firmware update in a few days will address some of the issues holding me back.... but I think Sony's design is certainly the future of camera bodies.
We don't know what we don't know.

philbond87

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:42 am »

I'm using the A7R as a sort of "place holder" until Canon delivers a body with a sensor that satisfies me.

I have really liked the performance of the A7R sensor.
I have not had issues with the shutter vibration or light leaks – although I certainly acknowledge that the issues are real for some under certain situations (however I struggle to find a practical set of conditions under which the light leak would pose a problem).

I am not enamored with the Sony's ergonomics and control layout. It could largely be because of my years of time spend with the EOS system however to me the Sony's feels more like it was just "built" rather than having "evolved" as the Canon DSLRs have... if that makes any sense.

In any case the A7R is a nice small body with excellent image quality that performs as well or better with my Canon EF lenses than do the 5D Mark II or 6D.

shadowblade

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 06:45:25 pm »

Exactly.

Canon's been concentrating on action and video, with a great AF system and 4k video, among other things. At low ISO, however, their sensors haven't really gotten any better since the 5D2 in 2008.

I shoot landscapes. They tend not to move very much. I also print large - to me, 20x30" is a small print - and shoot subjects with a very high dynamic range.

Trouble is, Canon makes good lenses. No-one else has a 24mm or 17mm tilt-shift lens as good as Canon, and I also have other good Canon glass I'd rather not get rid of. The only lens I have that will fit on a D800e is the Nikon 14-24. But all of these lenses will fit in front of an A7r.

To me, the A7r is a 35mm-format digital back, not a camera or a camera system that I'm buying into. If Canon lifts its game and releases a camera with a better sensor, I might buy that. If the next round in the IQ stakes is won by Sony, I'll get the A7r's successor. Same deal if it happens to be a Samsung, Fuji, Pentax or anyone else's camera - so long as it can fit behind my lenses.

philbond87

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »

To me, the A7r is a 35mm-format digital back, not a camera or a camera system that I'm buying into.

Well put. That's precisely how I see the A7R.
(Not so say that others won't appreciate it as a camera – or system – in it's own right.)

MrSmith

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »

thats the way i look at it too, a 35mm digital back that you can cherry pick lenses for.
today i went into 2 pro rental MFD dealers looking for a longer tether cable for the A7r, at the first rental place they asked about the camera and were impressed with the focus peaking especially with the tilt/shift that i had on there. no cable so the next dealer i went into looking for a long stand/tripod bag and there was another photographer standing there with an A7r and 50mm lens, guy behind the counter was having a play with it. got chatting and he like me was a canon user but had sold his MFD and replaced it with the A7r. a sample of 2 does not signify much but the MFD sales at the lower mp end will have definitely lost some customers.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 03:21:08 pm »

A sample of 2 does not signify much but the MFD sales at the lower mp end will have definitely lost some customers.

And similarly we have customers every month who call us because they were previously only canon/nikon SLR shooters and then tried an M9, or a Pentax 645D, or shot film again, and now recently A7R and had their eyes open that there is more out there than "just another Canon". Given that P1's sales are up year-over-year ever since the financial panic my guess is that the net result of more/different/better non-standard cameras has been a gain for MFD.

Telecaster

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »

To me, the A7r is a 35mm-format digital back, not a camera or a camera system that I'm buying into.

Yep. My main reaction to using the A7r has been: "Damn, am I ever glad I held onto my Pentax lenses!" Like Graham with his FD-mount Canons (see other threads for examples) it's been a whole series of eye-popping moments for me as these lenses finally get to show what they can do in front of a 35mm sensor. I'll probably get a short tele FE lens if Sony/Zeiss market one but I don't need it.

-Dave-

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 06:47:30 pm »

The genius of Sony here is that they have clearly targeted the Canon shooters looking for a way to use their excellent lenses with a more recent sensor technology.

I agree, however I think Nikon was strongly impacted too.  The biggest selling point with the D800 was the sensor.  Now you can get that sensor in the cheaper and more versatile A7r.  The way I see it, for fast work (sports, portraits, weddings), the best choice is still Canon.  For slow work (landscapes, product photography), the best choice is the A7r with whatever lenses you want, including some quality Canons.  So where does that leave Nikon? 

For me personally, I'm staying with Canon because I value the speed and refinement of the whole system more than I complain about low ISO shadow noise.  Basically, I need really good AF... 

hjulenissen

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:09 am »

I agree, however I think Nikon was strongly impacted too.  The biggest selling point with the D800 was the sensor.  Now you can get that sensor in the cheaper and more versatile A7r.
According to DXO, the sensors indeed look to have similar performance.
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7R-versus-Nikon-D800-versus-Nikon-D800E___917_792_814

It seems that, at least for some pixel-peeping cases, the Sony approach can be shown to differ:
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4847
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140214_1-SonyA7-artifacts-star-trails.html

I would not mind having the sensor performance or weight of the A7r on my Canon lenses. I think that for me personally, AF, ergonomy, UI, flash compability etc means that I am reluctant to switch. Hopefully, the A7(r) (and the D800 before it) will create enough pressure on Canon to deliver what I want.

-h
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:00:55 am by hjulenissen »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:54 am »

And similarly we have customers every month who call us because they were previously only canon/nikon SLR shooters and then tried an M9, or a Pentax 645D, or shot film again, and now recently A7R and had their eyes open that there is more out there than "just another Canon". Given that P1's sales are up year-over-year ever since the financial panic my guess is that the net result of more/different/better non-standard cameras has been a gain for MFD.

Hasselblad's sales of Lunars are up too.
And where I live there seems to be a Ferrari or Maserati or Rolls Royce shop on every corner. And used shops for year-old model cast-offs too.
I'm sure the financial panic has done the right people a lot of good.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up