Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self adhesive foamcore  (Read 11040 times)

steveclv

Self adhesive foamcore
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:09:11 am »

I purchased some sheets of a self adhesive 3mm foamcore that I am mounting my prints onto before they go into the frame.

The first 3 A4 size prints went on perfectly and then I tried an A3 and completely screwed it up and the foamcore is so sticky that there is no change of repositioning.

Is there a technique to use to align everything first time? Or am I better off with a dry foamcore and then use a 3M re-positionable spray adhesive?

Thanks

Steve

jferrari

Re: Self adhesive foamcore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:26:31 am »

Have you ever installed laminate counter top material? Watch this video from 1:30 to 2:05. Use only light pressure until all dowels and air bubbles are removed. Good luck!     - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:41 am »

I would totally stay away from this for larger prints unless you have help.  As you point out, once the print touches, it's done. 

Also larger prints, 20 x 30 and up it's next to impossible to work with since you tend to get air bubbles no matter how hard you try.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

steveclv

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:25 am »

What technique would you use Paul for larger prints to stop them from buckling inside the frame?

Thanks

Steve

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:01 am »

Dry mount press.  Heat 122F. 5 minutes.  I use bienfang rag mount. 

If you don't have access to a press then Elmer's acid free strong spray adhesive.  Spraying is a mess but works and I have not seen a lot of problems with bubbling or releases.

The heavier cotton papers like Canson's platine will also handle a hinge mount up to about a 23 x 33.  300w
RC paper seems to always show some buckling over time.  I have been using Moan luster 300W recently with good results.   

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

framah

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:11:09 pm »

The best way to "align" everything is to NOT even try. Cut the FC larger than the print size, lay it down and burnish as required and then trim off the excess FC.

WAAAY quicker and  easier than trying to get the print EXACTLY in the right place every time. Never try to lay the print down all at once as that is the sure way to get air trapped under. Start at one end and work your way to the other end.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

steveclv

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:31:34 pm »

Thanks and I discovered a tip of rolling the print onto a postal tube and then using that to control it as you roll it out - I'll give this all a try tomorrow as I have some A2's printed and left to dry/settle over the weekend

Thanks

Steve

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:35:47 pm »

Be sure to have a sharp pin handy to ever-so-delicately pierce the print to let out trapped air.  Those trapped air bubbles look even uglier than a pin prick.  OK, who snickered?

This takes practice.  Don't use a hard tube.  Instead, arrange the print into a big U-shaped curve (not touching the foamcore) taped down at one end.  Grasp the loose end of the print with one hand.  With a cotton-gloved other hand, as you move the U of the print ever so slowly forward, push down on the print at the center, working the push out towards each edge.  1 inch at a time.  The top of the U will above the gloved hand.  Maintain the U curve bend as close to the point of print/adhesive contact as possible, that rigidifies the print as it goes down in a way that removes trivial, bubble-making ripple.  Gets harder towards the end.  Worked well for me using adhesive mount.  Except by a few years down the road most of those prints had developed really ugly air bubbles under glass.  Have a nice day.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:12:52 pm »

Another way is to lay the print face down on a clean flat surface and carefully apply the coated foam care to the print, starting at the edge closest to you and carefully pressing the foam core into to the print back from the edge nearest to you to the furthers away. Press from the middle to the outside and make several passes.

With the print lying flat on a hard surface it has less opportunity to trap air and as you gradually press the foam core to the back of the print that makes a path for air to escape.

Were it me, i'd toss the adhesive backed foam core and use a hinge mount instead.

Hinge mounts examples:

http://www.logangraphic.com/blog/2011/06/04/basic-hinge-mounting-for-picture-framing/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=116UJ1m71sM

It is also a great idea to use latex or similar exam gloves when handling any media related to photos and mounting. This kind of glove leaves no trace and won’t absorb oil and other noxious fluids from your hands.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:16 am »

You use a press. If you don't want to do that then it's hinge tape and non adhesive but it will sag eventually.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:07 pm »

Better than self-adhesive foam board is the heat-activated. All the benefits and a lot less hassle than tissue and self-adhesive. I've been using it for a few years now and would never go back!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

jferrari

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:17:37 pm »

Better than self-adhesive foam board is the heat-activated. All the benefits and a lot less hassle than tissue and self-adhesive. I've been using it for a few years now and would never go back!

Do you have any issues with warping especially on large (40" x 60") panels?
Nothing changes until something changes.

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:03 am »

You can get two types of self adhesive board. Re-positionable and permanent. If you are worried about getting it wrong, the the RP is best. I have been using the permanent one for many years and also on large prints. In my opinion it works well on matte papers but is prone to air bubbles on lustre / gloss papers. I have had good success with Baryta papers up to approx 20x30. The best way to apply is to peel back one inch of the release liner and stick down one side of the print to this. Take a hold of the release liner and slowly peel it back whilst rolling down the print on the SEB. Hint. I use a gloss paint roller to apply the print and find this works very effectively ;-)

Hope this helps.

Regards
John

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:40:57 am »

Is this something you can do with a household iron?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 07:26:56 am »

It may be easier to use plain boards and spray-on glue.  Here is an article I wrote a few years ago:
http://advantica.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/print-mounting-tutorial

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:55 am »

It may be easier to use plain boards and spray-on glue.  Here is an article I wrote a few years ago:
http://advantica.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/print-mounting-tutorial

It's also possible to mount non-canvas prints to gatorboard using miracle muck, something I have tested myself.

LenR

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:23 pm »

Fold down about an inch or two of the release liner from one edge and gently crease it a little.  Don's crease it so much that it lays flat, you want it to stand proud of the board.
Then lay the print down on the board and let the folded release liner keep that part of the print away from the adhesive while you position it.
When you like the position place something on the print to hold it in place (like leather framers weights or your free hand or an assistant).
Then, with a flat hand, carefully press down in the center of the print over the adhesive and swipe outwards to the edge.
Don't be afraid to make firm,  smooth movements to avoid bubbles... be macho.
If you have 2 hands available it's a little easier.
Once you've got that edge started you can use whatever you normally use to roll the print down as you grab the tab of release liner you folded over and pull it off as you roll or squeegee the print down.
Try it on some junk media and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

PS: Another way is to use a gentle hand and cut thru JUST THE LINER...NOT INTO the adhesive.  Use a heavy ruler at an edge of the board to make your cut.  Position the print and place the heavy ruler on the print an inch or two below your cut.  Holding the ruler down so the print doesn't move, lift up the front edge of the print, peel off the liner and let the print drop (they usually don't make contact with the adhesive unless the paper is really really thin) and spread from the center outwards as mentioned above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up