Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antarctica Video  (Read 4013 times)

BBrandonScott

Antarctica Video
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:01:12 am »

I'm amazed that no one has posted about the great video of the LuLu trip to Antarctica.  There are no credits but I suppose that is the work of Chris Sanderson?  Well done and I really enjoyed watching it. Since I have a growing interest in video, a video series on how to get started in video would be very interesting.  Thanks whoever did the video and next time credits? Brandon Scott

Rand47

Rand Scott Adams

BBrandonScott

Re: Antarctica Video
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:43:55 pm »

Rand, thanks, I missed that notice since I usually do not check the video LuLu landscape video forum.  I still would like to see credits with the video.  Brndon

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:57:54 pm »

Rand, thanks, I missed that notice since I usually do not check the video LuLu landscape video forum.  I still would like to see credits with the video.  Brndon
I really never go to that forum either, perhaps mistakenly feeling it was more about where to go when having issues or questions.  I’ve always sort of assumed new videos would be announced on the main page, like articles. Maybe that’s still coming.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:44 am »

...  There are no credits but I suppose that is the work of Chris Sanderson?  Well done and I really enjoyed watching it. Since I have a growing interest in video, a video series on how to get started in video would be very interesting.  Thanks whoever did the video and next time credits? Brandon Scott

Yes, perhaps I should embed credits within the video. They appear on Vimeo but not on this site.
Steven Sauve created the music - the rest is me.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:21:39 am »

I really never go to that forum either, perhaps mistakenly feeling it was more about where to go when having issues or questions.  I’ve always sort of assumed new videos would be announced on the main page, like articles. Maybe that’s still coming.

I always announce new videos in the Video section of the Forum - often before What's New mentions them. I get quick feedback that way but from a limited number of views. That helps me correct issues before the videos hit the big world out there  ;).

Pete Berry

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »

What a stunning video, Chris! The extensive use of slow motion gave it a dreamy, magical quality, as if the world had just awakened from the winter's long sleep.

And also a great showcase for the GH3's video capabilities paired with Panny's fast, weather-sealed zooms. Is a GH4 or two in your future?

Pete

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:11 pm »

Is a GH4 or two in your future?
Yes, I will be looking at the GH4 tomorrow at Panny's booth at the WPPI show.

4k is not really the big news with this camera (although that makes it highly marketable) but apparently the footage can be downsampled to 4:4:4 1080P which is quite exciting.

Bigger colour space with more malleable files.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »

At top right of this forum there's the option to see new posts since last visit. I just click on that to see what's new in the forum rather than tediously clicking through each forum section.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:01 pm »

4k is not really the big news with this camera (although that makes it highly marketable) but apparently the footage can be downsampled to 4:4:4 1080P which is quite exciting.
Ooh! I hadn't heard that. Now that is useful. Raw footage would be nice too. Not really a fan of processing cooked files after using raw for nearly ten years.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:59 am »

I think raw video at this price point with a usable workflow for folks who shoot fo a living is still someway off and may not even be something worthwhile. I would not have said that six months ago but the BMPCC has rather changed my mind for the moment.

Pete Berry

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:25 am »

Yes, I will be looking at the GH4 tomorrow at Panny's booth at the WPPI show.

Yes, this is big! The several 4K videos I've seen, with 4K selected as quality - particularly "Light of the Yucatan" - were spectacular displayed on my 1080 monitor. Something special definitely going on in the downsampling process but not the somewhat involved conversion referenced below.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12140/discovery-4k-8bit-420-panasonic-gh4-converts-1080p-10bit-444

Pete

Pete

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 01:48:24 am »

Something special definitely going on in the downsampling process but not the somewhat involved conversion referenced below.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12140/discovery-4k-8bit-420-panasonic-gh4-converts-1080p-10bit-444
Yes, I talked at length to Mathew Frazer of Panasonic about the camera and that particular article. While the details are overly technical for me to correctly repeat here, I came away with the strong impression that actually this downsampling procedure, while feasible, will actually not amount to a great deal of additional IQ or potential 'gradability'. Additionally the workflow required - certainly in my case - will likely not be worth the effort since the transcoding will currently need to be done outside of an NLE thus adding considerably to the workflow of ingesting or outputting footage.

That aside, the new features and potential IQ of the camera are very exciting for both 4K & 1080P output. I was very impressed by the effort that Panasonic has made to make the GH4 a true production tool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up