Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A better way to hang art works on Pro Panels  (Read 9476 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
A better way to hang art works on Pro Panels
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »

As a FYI, if you use Pro Panels or similar fabric covered panels for art display I wanted give a plug for Harmon Hooks. They use Velcro patches and a riveted hook for each patch to support the art work. This is a lot faster than using drape hanging hooks and far less damaging to everything from the panels to the art, to your hands. They are very quick to set up and take down too.

A neighbor used these at a recent show and I was impressed with everything about them so ordered a bunch. These will save a lot of time during set up, as works sell or are re-positioned, and to remove after the show. They will also save me the need for most bandages and especially the need to wear work gloves when installing and removing.

http://harmonhooks.com/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:29:16 pm by Justan »

BillK

• http://
Re: A better way to hang art works on Pro Panels
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:12:30 pm »

I agree that Harmon hooks work great. I have also started stapling a short piece of
(hook) velcro on the back corners of my canvases. Makes hanging them even faster
and more secure than Harmon hooks. Locks them in so they don't shift due to wind or being bumped.

On my small and medium sized canvases I have stopped using Harmon hooks, as the corner velcro
is more than sufficient. Still use them on the large ones.

Keeps everything looking neat and hanging straight.

Bill

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:51:01 pm »

Thanks for that Justan!  I have seen a lot of people pop-riveting hooks to the bottom of Velcro pads from Home Depot, but the Harmon Hooks look better built somehow and are certainly cheaper.

Also like BillK's Velcro scheme, make the whole darned piece one big corner sample!

The real beauty of both those schemes is that you don't have to waste time fumbling around with adjusting hangers when something sells.  Was thinking about picking up some more of those adjustable wire hangers, but now I think it's gonna be a Velcro solution.  I gave up on the drape hangers pretty early, have been carrying around about 50 lbs of L hangers and fiddly little annoying S hooks ever since.  With the Velcro, it seems like the piece will tilt forward a lot less, that's an issue especially with the wire hangers.  Thanks guys!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:32:54 pm »

Thanks for the added feedback. I like the idea of attaching Velcro to the works and may try that. There is elegance to that kind of engineering. As noted, they would lay flat, and I have a bunch of Velcro. My goal is to reduce the amount of time it takes to setup the booth, which currently stretches to over 14 hours for a 10x20 + a corner display. A huge amount of time is spent leveling my panos and sometimes repositioning them in the process. I hope these pads will save me a couple of hours or more per setup. Well maybe that will happen after the next show. For the next one I scored an end cap and will have about 70’ of wall space for display purposes. Most ever.

I was thinking of using some L pads and s hooks for smaller works but Bill t’s comments are giving me pause. Are they quicker to setup or do you think Velcro will be quicker? Velcro will be cleaner looking than metal rods but I dunno if they would be quicker ‘cus I’d still need to level with Velcro and rods are not gonna need that.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

Justan,

Thanks, for the info,  what is the weight limit to the hooks?  When I do a show, I often carry a few 30  x 40 sized framed/glazed prints, probably at 20lbs each, will the hooks hold that much weight?  I am sure they will hold a similar canvas since the weight is much less.   The link states 40lbs per hook, do you feel that is right?  If so this is great as I use the propanels also.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »

Harmon rates their 4 x 3.75" pads at 40lbs, then notes "when one won't do, use two."

However, I think the weight limit may have to do more with the sag factor of the panel fabric than the size of pad.  The ProPanel fabric is not attached at the top, it is merely stretched tight around the sides.  That may put constraints on where the pads can be used, since there would be less sag for heavily loaded pads attached near the edges of the panel, than for pads attached near the center.

So there you have it.  An expert opinion from somebody who has never used the product.

EDIT...oops, it looks like I have some very old model ProPanels, maybe circa 1998 or so.  My how time flies.  Looks like the pictures of the new ones show a seam at the top.  So maybe sag is not such as issue any more.  I feel so old, sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:03:53 pm by bill t. »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:53:45 pm »

I ordered about 120 of these a couple of days ago. Some are large and some medium.

My neighbor was hanging some ~24” x 36” works with a glass front using a single hook, so my guess is that the weight rating is reasonably stated. Because my works are panos, I plan to use 2 large ones for my large works and 2 medium sized ones for everything else.

As a 2nd note to Bill T’s comment, the new pro panels have a seam across the top but maybe the knock down edition does not. My neighbor stands his pro panels upside down – so the PP legs are longer on top - as he liked the greater elevation between the works and lights. That did not have a negative impact, and he does shows all over the west, and presents nearly every week. No signs of problems with the Pro Panels or works from frequent use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up