Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photogene 4  (Read 6353 times)

Mike Fewster

Photogene 4
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:50 pm »

I have heard that this program will run fast enough on an ipad and will do rAW conversion and meet most PP requirements. And it's only $10.00 Has anyone used it? Observations?
Thanks

sixbysix

Re: Photogene 4
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:23 am »

I use it on an iPad 4, and I bought it for about $1. It's slow to work on D800 RAWs (as i'd expect), but slow to open my Fuji X20 RAWs too. Adjustment sliders use application-specific units of measurement which don't translate to other packages as far as i'm aware. Highlights and shadows seem to clip more easily than i'd expect my files to, and sometimes appying too many adjustments or brushes seem to cancel each other out.

Don't expect too much, use it for the odd fun bit of editing or checking out your photos before you can get them back to your workstation, and it will be a satisfactory bit of software. Don't expect to do finished pieces with it; and if you do, expect it to take a long time and not look as good as you'd hoped.

Telecaster

Re: Photogene 4
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:17 pm »

I don't use Photogene for RAW conversion. It clips highlights by default and can't be tweaked to not do this. There is a bit of a learning curve as you discover how its various adjustments work and what the range of "good" values is for each tool. As with any image processor.

I use PhotoRaw when working with RAWs on my iPad Air. Sometimes PiRAWnha instead depending on the photo. These two along with Photogene are fine & dandy when screen display is the final destination. When it comes to processing for print I switch to my desktop system and use Lightroom or Iridient instead.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up