Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: profiling the same monitor on different workstations, same icc, what happens?  (Read 1609 times)

John V.

If I hook up a monitor to my workstation, profile it, then hook that monitor up to a different workstation, and use the previously generated profile,
what happens?

Scenario:

Computer X, Computer Y and a Monitor A

I take monitor A and hook it up to computer X.

I profile the display and generate an icc using this setup. (computer X and monitor A)

I then hook monitor A up to computer Y and use the previously generated profile.

Will colors be displayed accurately?

The real question.. Is it only the monitor that determines how colors are displayed. The gpu also? Both?

John V.

Might be kind of a silly question and it really jsut  boils down to, will the same  monitor display colors differently when hooked up to different computers, which I'm sure the answer is "yes." Only wondering what all is responsible for this.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Might be kind of a silly question and it really jsut  boils down to, will the same  monitor display colors differently when hooked up to different computers, which I'm sure the answer is "yes."
The same display on different computers will likely not produce the same colors.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John V.

Yeah, the more I think about this. I.... just don't know what I was expecting to hear. I'll show myself out. :/ But I am indeed interested in hearing what anyone else may have to say.

Scott Martin

• Onsight

With a VGA connection (which is analog) you'll almost always see a difference and not be able to use the same profile on multiple connections. With a DVI connection (digital) you'll absolutely be able to use the same profile on multiple computers, barring any use of weird software that might also have an effect on the display. It's my understanding that digital displays including DisplayPort act the same way at DVI.

Now, if you have multiple of the same brand that's not the same thing and each will likely require it's own calibration/profile.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

John V.

Alright, well see, there you go.. This wasn't a complete loss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up