Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR 6.7 Traveling back in time  (Read 7253 times)

Tony Hubcaps

ACR 6.7 Traveling back in time
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:26:46 pm »

Just updated ACR to 6.7 to find the chromatic aberration sliders have gone...

What a totally nuts situation !!  Sometimes I wonder who is insane, me or them?

SO - does anybody have a reasonably foolproof way of uninstalling an update to CS5 ?
I've tried doing it by shouting at my computer but that hasn't had any effect.

TonyW

Re: ACR 6.7 Traveling back in time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:24:40 am »

Are you sure you really want to revert to a previous version?  
The new ACR does have tick box Remove Chromatic Aberration in Lens Corrections / Color tab.  This removes lateral CA and the Defringe sliders remove longitudinal colour fringing.

AFAIK updating ACR will overite your last version so unless you actually have the old plug in then you will probably need to uninstall then reinstall CS5.  On a Windows system the plug in
will typically be found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats\ Camera Raw.*bi
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:26:17 am by TonyW »

Tony Hubcaps

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:16:59 pm »

Thanks Tony - they hid that checkbox well!

I still don't get it... Adobe don't really seem to have made any effort to provide profiles for many
common lenses... I only own one lens that doesn't produce red/green shift more or less across
the board... I can't see this doing anything other than making ACR useless to me (which is a bit
irritating since it's very expensive).

Am I the only one bothered?  Is it working well for others?

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:47:40 pm »

No idea which camera model and lenses you have but I would say that Adobe have done a pretty good job of providing profiles for many popular lenses and camera model combinations.

Are you sure you are checking in the right place? Goto Lens corrections / Profile, tick Enable Lens Profile Corrections. 

There seems to be plenty of choices for the main camera manufacturers and some third party lenses, not sure how up to date this is:
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html

Then there is always the fact that you could create your own profile manually or feeling adventurous even use the Adobe Lens Profile creator

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:30:44 am »

Am I the only one bothered?  Is it working well for others?

The problem is you are using an outdated version of Camera Raw...as of ACR 7, they added a fully functional defringing control vastly better than the manual sliders in ACR 6.6.

ACR 6.7 was a crossover bridging release to give compatibility to LR 4. So, you are rather behind...and truth be told, this is way, way old news...each version of ACR/LR keeps getting more and more functionality. If you care about image quality, I suggest you look into upgrading.

Tony Hubcaps

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:22 pm »

The problem is you are using an outdated version of Camera Raw...as of ACR 7, they added a fully functional defringing control vastly better than the manual sliders in ACR 6.6.

ACR 6.7 was a crossover bridging release to give compatibility to LR 4. So, you are rather behind...and truth be told, this is way, way old news...each version of ACR/LR keeps getting more and more functionality. If you care about image quality, I suggest you look into upgrading.

Thank you for providing the info.

As it happens I do care about image quality, but unfortunately I care also about whether I have any money or not...
jeeez, amateurs eh!?

To be fair, on the basis of conversions so far, "auto" CA correction does seem to work very well.
On the other hand, it would have been nice to have been warned that functionality was going to be potentially
lost by upgrading.

Clearer, better 'customer service' always tends to make the customer less irritated and more inclined to spend
yet more money, and thus be ever more 'rewarded'.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:30:09 am »

On the other hand, it would have been nice to have been warned that functionality was going to be potentially
lost by upgrading.

At the time ACR 6.7 was released, there was plenty of discussion in all forums about the removal of the sliders and addition of the auto CA...you are coming into this several years late.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 10:42:46 am »

Not sure if this is true with LR, but in the current ACR and I think the previous, one can go to the settings tab and use both the 2010 and 2003 processing engines. They are left in place so if you have legacy raw files, those settings and presets are preserved so one can open the image as originally processed. However, it's easy to also update the o age to the newer process by just clicking on the alerting icon shown on the lower right of the image.

With the auto CA correction, Acr just a little faster and easier to use today and the IQ results are better, making me  happy I shot raw all these years!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up