Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP Quattro  (Read 140010 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP Quattro
« Reply #320 on: January 24, 2015, 07:22:17 am »

Yea I go a bit far. After the Merrill jump , from my previous DP models, I thought that Sigma jumped into serious stuff. Seeing what they are doing with the lenses, I thought " they will apply this on cameras too". But nope. They wasted time and money on this sub par starstruck gear. With all this time and money invested, especially in marketing ... They should have worked on a 7.8µ pixel size FF sensor. An SD camera with such a sensor and actual ART lenses would have been a killer. Every serious guy who have a SD, or guys who invested in SD system some thousands of dollars, ask for FF foveon, even a 12 Mp ff foveon would be extremely awesome.

In printing, the 4.7 mp SD15 sensor output better than my D700...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:26:57 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

capital

• Website
« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2015, 08:03:02 pm »

Hi Hulyss, If I may ask, what are points in favor of the SD15 over your Fuji?

I myself, after getting the DP2M, decided to buy a DP1s. What a marvel. Though I am unsure about getting a pre merrill SD. Live-view is quite indispensable these days, and no SD camera has it.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2015, 06:12:40 am »

Hi Hulyss, If I may ask, what are points in favor of the SD15 over your Fuji?

I myself, after getting the DP2M, decided to buy a DP1s. What a marvel. Though I am unsure about getting a pre merrill SD. Live-view is quite indispensable these days, and no SD camera has it.

Hello Capital,

For the SD15 and the fuji, I do not have any of them anymore. I bought the SD15 the day it was launched with a 50f1.4 EX and kit lens. It was a very good imager but the DSLR himself suxed because prehistoric AF coupled with not well calibrated lenses = frustration. I bought the 85f1.4 EX and it was the same, a bit better. Lack of live view for 100% magnification is deal breaker. BUT, I managed to get some very good photos out of it (with mucho efforts).

For the fuji, I just sold it to a guy on GetDPI, the whole system. It would have been a perfect camera without this Xtrans marketer sorcery. It would have been perfect with a simple 24MP aps-c sesnor (Nex7 one for example). So, after the hype and excitement of owning the last toy in vogue, with all the good glass on it, I just got frustrated again because the files was not up to my expectation, at all. It is a fragile/expensive toy IMO.

For the pre-merrill foveon >> you got it right. Compactness, ease of use, quickness in PP, real foveon output and equivalent to 10 Mp bayer in printing. I used all the DP since the start of DP and they are all excellent apart the last ones who just derivate in bayerland.

So if you want the SD15, get a screw driver with it because you will certainly need to adjust the AF module. Lenses I recommend for it are : SIGMA 8-16 , and the art lenses :)

But today we have so much choice... If I tell you that the RX1r go for 1700 $ NEW... would you take SD1 + lenses ? ;)

capital

• Website
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2015, 04:17:55 pm »

Thank you for thoughts, the issue AF-micro adjustment is something to seriously consider for the older SD bodies. I was really wanting to like the Quattro, thus I would have waited for a SD Quattro, yet it still seems to be an beta product in terms of IQ.

As for the SD Merrill over an RX1R, I think I would actually lean towards the Ricoh GR :)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »

Well... with all the negative posts and "real" professional reviews (not the fanatic or paid ones) who quasi trash the DP Quattro, which is a first in DP history, I think and hope SIGMA listened. So my guess is that the DP3Q will have better "grain" handling and better firmware. The SD Q, who will come but not yet announced, might be achieved correctly. But it is not out yet and the market is full of exciting products. They said that the Q will be in the next SD. Can be a FF Q :p
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up