Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration & Profiles - Long term trends  (Read 1870 times)

Chuck at work

Monitor Calibration & Profiles - Long term trends
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:21:40 am »

I have now got ~20 sets (dual monitors) of Monitor profiles. Is there software that will display them and show me (the) trend and possible outliers (where I may have made a bad profile for one reason or another)?

TIA
cvt

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Monitor Calibration & Profiles - Long term trends
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:30 am »

i1Profiler has a Trending feature under Advanced>DisplayProfiling>Quality. Of course any trending feature is designed to show the trend over time of the same monitor. But it sounds like you're wanting to compare 20 different monitors calibrated at (about) the same time, and that's different. I imagine what you have at this stage are profiles and not measurement files, which limits your options. Have you tried throwing the profiles onto Colorthink (or something similar) to compare the color gamut results?

For future reference, when you're done calibrating a display in i1Profiler there's a button called "Compare profile" which would allow you to compare you're freshly calibrated display to what you might consider a reference. If you do this as you go about calibrating these 20 displays you have, it will provide the information you seek as you calibrate each and every display.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Chuck at work

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:08 am »

Thank you.

I work with 2 different WorkStations, and both have dual monitors. So each _should_ have the same total of monitor profiles, i e 20 sets give or take.
And, unfortunately, we are still on XP (don't ask).
Some where tho I recall seeing that "trending" software. It may be as out-of-date as XP. :(
I will have to look.

cvt

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:57 am »

And, unfortunately, we are still on XP (don't ask).

Is there not a version of i1Profiler that works on XP?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:38:47 am »

The trending in i1P i lame, they didn't put their heart in it. If you don't own it already, don't spend the money for that!
X-rite used to have long term trending of many display profiles, I think it was in i1Match. And it used the measurement data I believe, not all those old and useless profiles to do this. Could probably do this in ColorThink, that' tool is worth every penny.

In the long run, all you end up seeing is how inconsistent the display is and it aid somewhat in getting you to re-calibrate more often.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:55 am »

The trending in i1P i lame, they didn't put their heart in it. If you don't own it already, don't spend the money for that!

Sounds like he's not really looking for trending though. The "Compare Profile" feature might be exactly what he's looking for, looking forward.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Chuck at work

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:33:33 pm »

Actually trending is what I'm looking for.

I need metrics to demonstrate when and how these NECs (2490WUxi) are getting to the end of their useful life, tho that should be longer than 2009 - 2014 (he said, Q-Atingly).

I do have and use i1Match - the upgrade I asked for was un-kindly sent to the circular file drawer - but don't see anything beyond the match-a-previous-profile function there.

In general I dislike i1Match because it is a fairly blunt tool. The steps in the OSM controls simply won't let me tweak the colors and intensity as I want; of course the other monitors, HPs, are even worse.
cvt

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »

I need metrics to demonstrate when and how these NECs (2490WUxi) are getting to the end of their useful life, tho that should be longer than 2009 - 2014 (he said, Q-Atingly).
Usually you'll find you can't hit the target luminance (cd/m2). That's a sign the unit is getting near end of life. Of course you can continue to lower the value until it's no longer acceptable. The trending which you desire is really useful for determining how frequent one should calibrate the unit. If you go 30 days with a low dE value between trending, you could probably go a bit longer. If the dE values are high, it's not as stable as we'd like.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up