Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mysterious" Virtual Copies  (Read 3945 times)

Kit-V

"Mysterious" Virtual Copies
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:10 am »

I was looking through numerous images that I had taken last summer in France. These were all subsequently post processed in LR5 & placed in a collection. To my surprise, ??? I noticed that about 40% of these original images had 1-3 virtual copies each. I was surprised since I had never made any of these virtual copies. So the question arises: where did these VCs come from?

What I did notice, however, was that all of the original images associated with the VCs had previously been exported into an external slideshow application (i.e. FotoMagico). Also, I copied the slideshow onto a thumb drive to send to my daughters. Is it possible that the VCs were somehow created as a result of exporting the images either into the slideshow app or onto the thumb drive? I'm baffled.  ???
Falling Fork Photography

aduke

Re: "Mysterious" Virtual Copies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:38:11 pm »

There is a check-box in the collection-creation dialog that, if checked, tells LR to build the collection of new VC's.

Perhaps this is your source problem?

Alan

Kit-V

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:21 pm »

Alan: I never tick that checkbox. Even if I had, that doesn't explain why only some of the master images in a new collection have VCs. Also, some of the images have more than one VC.

Nevertheless, thank you for your idea.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Steve House

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:04:27 am »

Alan: I never tick that checkbox. Even if I had, that doesn't explain why only some of the master images in a new collection have VCs. Also, some of the images have more than one VC.

Kit
Have you edited those images in Photoshop, another external editor, or a plug-in like Nik?  Are you seeing 'real' virtual copies or are those images the imported TIFs returned after editing externally that end up stacked with the original image like a VC would be stacked?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:11:07 am by Steve House »

Kit-V

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »

Have you edited those images in Photoshop, another external editor, or a plug-in like Nik?  Are you seeing 'real' virtual copies or are those images the imported TIFs returned after editing externally that end up stacked with the original image like a VC would be stacked?

No external editing. All editing was done in LR5. The mystery continues.  :)

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »

Did you perhaps type command-quote when the images were selected? Or did your cat walk across your keyboard?

Jeremy

Kit-V

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:23 am »

Did you perhaps type command-quote when the images were selected? Or did your cat walk across your keyboard?

Jeremy

"Command quote"...nope. Don't own a cat. However, I undoubtedly am guilty of some random act of stupidity. I just cannot figure it out.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

"Command quote"...nope. Don't own a cat. However, I undoubtedly am guilty of some random act of stupidity. I just cannot figure it out.

Kit

Just as long as you don't do it again...

Jeremy

Kit-V

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »

Stupidity is not necessarily predictable. If the "mysterious VCs" resurface again, I will try to retrace my steps & find the culprit. If I can't, you might see me back here. In the meantime, thank you, everyone, for your thoughts.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

judymcintosh

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 03:21:29 pm »

Nevertheless, thank you for your idea.

Kit
Is it possible that some images were imported more than once (especially if "don't import suspected duplicates" is selected) depending on how many times you reimported from the card before clearing it? Maybe a look in finder to see if the files are there (as apposed to the VC only in the catalogue structure)might check this out.

Kit-V

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 03:43:28 pm »

Is it possible that some images were imported more than once (especially if "don't import suspected duplicates" is selected) depending on how many times you reimported from the card before clearing it? Maybe a look in finder to see if the files are there (as apposed to the VC only in the catalogue structure)might check this out.

Possible; but not probable. Nevertheless, it could have happened. I will be more vigilant in the future.

Thank you.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 04:30:33 pm »

If that was the case they would not be virtual copies.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:14:19 pm »

I imagine Judy is thinking of  File > Import from Another Catalog which could create VCs if you choose an option to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up