Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-naming mov files in Adobe Bridge  (Read 3213 times)

Chris L

Re-naming mov files in Adobe Bridge
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:24:26 pm »

I am using the BMCC cam and apparently there is no way to shorten the file names in camera so I am forced to use software after the shoot to shorten the file names. This is a typical file name, its crazy : bmcc_1_2000-01-01_0152_C0001 ( pro res,  not raw ).

I would like to batch rename in Bridge but somebody said it might mess up the timecode info or other important info. Does anybody know if this is true? Or how would I test it to find out?

BTW, I use FCPx as my editing software. I know you can rename here as well but there all sorts of weird issues that go along with that, like for instance you rename while its in the Events but in the Finder menu it appears as the old file name.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Re-naming mov files in Adobe Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:18 am »

I cant comment on Bridge or Timecode but PhotoMechanic is IMO the best re-namer..
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Jagatai

Re: Re-naming mov files in Adobe Bridge
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:49:24 am »

If you are working with ProRes files renaming shouldn't be a problem.  I would just make a copy (dragging the file from one hard drive to another is one way to make a new file without changing the name.  Another is to use the standard copy and paste commands to paste a new file onto a temp folder.). Anyway, once you have new new file, rename that and test if you have any problems.  I really doubt you would with a ProRes QuickTime.  You can do a lot of weird stuff to that sort of file (including its frame rate) and it will still play back just fine.

If you are working with the raw media, specifically a set of folders with all manner of files contained inside, I would be very careful about renaming stuff.  I suspect you could get away with renaming the outer most folder, but changing anything inside that folder may make your data completely unreadable.  Your best option when working with raw is to use Davinci Resolve to output ProRes quick times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up