Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do YOU organize your styles and ICC profiles in CaptureOne?  (Read 15034 times)

G*

How do YOU organize your styles and ICC profiles in CaptureOne?
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:14 am »

Hi,

I have piled up quite a lot of style presets and custom camera ICC profiles (stored in my Mac’s colorsync folder) in CaputeOne, and I’m starting to get lost in what’s what and when was it used last for what etc etc etc

I have have to confess that maybe my pattern of naming the files was not perfect from the beginning, and I think I still haven’t found a system that fits to all situations …

Anyway, how do YOU keep track of what you did, how do store your ICC profiles for later use, what can be done to keep things well-arranged for a couple of years?

What bothers me, too, is if and how I can keep a style preset together with the ICC profile used in an archive-friendly folder (or something like that). I would like to have things that I don’t use at the moment out of the way, but for example if I decide to go back to the photos from 2012 someday I would like to have the style presets and the ICC files from back then quickly at hand.

All kinds of suggestions are welcome!

G*

Re: How do YOU organize your styles and ICC profiles in CaptureOne?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:09 am »

Oh, wow, I had not reckoned that my question would cause such a turmoil. Please, one at a time, you’re asked to take a number and wait ’til it’s your turn …

Am I missing something? Is my question really this far-fetched?
Thanks for any information …

tho_mas

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »

Anyway, how do YOU keep track of what you did, how do store your ICC profiles for later use, what can be done to keep things well-arranged for a couple of years?
well... significant naming helps a lot.

Personally I do process my captures from C1 with the "camera profile" embedded. So I can extract the respective profiles from the TIFFs anytime if need is.
Whether this makes sense in your workflow is another story...

ICC profiles contained in a "Style" are automatically copied to the Styles-Folder (~/library/application support/capture one/styles) and the respective style-name also shows up in the name of the ICC profile. So this may help to organize things...

G*

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:48:11 pm »

Thanks, tho_mas.

I didn’t know that the "style" folder keeps both, the .costyle-file and the .icc/.icm.

Now, if I decide to clean up that folder by putting away the files that I don’t use regularly, maybe into an "archive" folder somewhere else – then what happens if I open a RAW-file in CaptureOne that I developed long ago with a style and .icc/.icm and both are not there anymore? Will CaptureOne give me an error message with the names of the missing files so that I know what I have to search for?

tho_mas

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:26:27 pm »

Thanks, tho_mas.

I didn’t know that the "style" folder keeps both, the .costyle-file and the .icc/.icm.

Now, if I decide to clean up that folder by putting away the files that I don’t use regularly, maybe into an "archive" folder somewhere else – then what happens if I open a RAW-file in CaptureOne that I developed long ago with a style and .icc/.icm and both are not there anymore? Will CaptureOne give me an error message with the names of the missing files so that I know what I have to search for?
when you move or delete the files they are gone.
I assume your main concern is simplification - not storage, right?

So I would suggest to simply make a folder within the Styles folder.
Name it e.g. "Old Styles" (~/library/application support/capture one/styles/old styles)
This way you can access the old Styles directly from C1 without the need to recreate anything.

As an example attached my Styles stored in ~/library/application support/capture one/styles (attachment #1).
There is a Style for my P21+ and 4 Styles for my P45 (one of them containing an ICC profile).

There are is also a folder "import". Within the folder I've created 2 additional folders containing Styles created by Capture Integration and Walter Borchenko.
These folders and the respective styles show up in C1 under Styles->User Styles->Import->(Folder). (see attachment #2)

My additional ICC profiles (around 15-20 or so) are stored in my ColorSync folder. These are not contained in any style... but 15-20 ICC profiles are not really hard to organize, of course.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:30:52 pm by tho_mas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up