Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exact Printing Sizes 9900 - Roll Paper  (Read 2511 times)

xPACIFICA

Exact Printing Sizes 9900 - Roll Paper
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:32:22 am »

Hi guys,

We've been having problems getting the 9900 to print/cut exact sizes using Roll Paper

Mac OSX 10.8.4
Photoshop CS6
Epson Driver 9.17

Basically, we set the custom paper size to 24x18.28, 0 margins. Our photo is 23x17.28, which leaves a .5 inch border around all sides. We are using the 24" Epson Standard Proofing Roll Paper, option set to auto cut. In the print preview it looks absolutely correct.

However, when printing out, the final cut print comes out 24x19, adding almost an additional .75"! I tried lowering the paper size to compensate for it, to 24x17.5, and the print came out 24x18.5 instead! Also I noticed the photo is not correctly centered on the paper, with more space on the bottom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are proofing a lot of prints right now and need to be sure on our count of paper supply so this is throwing our math off.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:36:17 am by Eightfish »
xPACIFICA

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Exact Printing Sizes 9900 - Roll Paper
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:30:28 am »

Sounds like you may be using "Normal Cut" under the roll paper settings in the print dialogue. Try using Double Cut.  You'll lose some paper at the beginning of the print (it cuts off the lead) but you'll end up with exactly the right size.

I also find that I have to use a Left or Bottom margin of .28" depending on whether the image is printed vertical (left margin) or horizontal (bottom margin) on the roll.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:34:19 am by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:21:54 pm »

Although my experience is with a 7900, I think the problem could be with the "Borderless" setting. For example, when I print something 23" on 24" roll paper (max width on the 7900), under "Printer Settings" I select "Page Setup: Roll Paper" and under "Roll Paper Settings" I select the paper size (24 by whatever length) and "Autocut Settings" at "Normal Cut" for Canson Platine paper. If I don't want to auto cut, I select "Off" and "Print Page Line" to cut it myself.

xPACIFICA

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:08 pm »

Thanks guys.

I tried setting the option to single cut, as per the manual, it cut it exact, but like the double cut method, did bleed off paper at the front. Seems like normal cut saves the most paper.

Also, another thing I noticed, when printing on 8.5x11 sheet paper, it never full centers the image, always leaves padding on the bottom. Is this normal as well?
xPACIFICA

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:40:10 am »

...when printing on 8.5x11 sheet paper, it never full centers the image, always leaves padding on the bottom. Is this normal as well?

I've never printed on smaller than 16x20 sheet, so can't help you there.

Christopher L

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:04 am »

Hello, in the feed direction it always leaves a minimum 0.56".  I believe this is so the machine can hold on to the paper while printing the last line.  Additionally make sure you have save roll paper off as this will cut off to the smallest it can for roll paper.

xPACIFICA

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:51:10 pm »

Hi all

Thanks, It seems I figured it out. Read on the DP forums to set the roll paper margin to 3mm, now I offset the print a little by 3mm and it comes out pretty close to what I want.

As for the 8.5x11, I'm making a custom paper size with margins .56" on top and bottom, and now it's printing perfectly centered using sheet paper. (Although sometimes it slightly feeds in crooked even when I drop in the paper straight)

thanks again!
xPACIFICA
Pages: [1]   Go Up