Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: are photographs improving?  (Read 11785 times)

david distefano

are photographs improving?
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:18:15 pm »

on this and many other photographic sites much talk is given to the technological advances made in photographic equipment and i admit that i sometimes go down that road. we talk about expanded dr, resolving power of new sensors and lenses and dreaming about what is coming down the road. some people actually believe that the newest and best will make them better. unfortunately, and i may be wrong, photographers don't seem to really discuss the actual creating of an image that evokes a response from the mind and heart. frederick evans had only color blind film and equipment that most people consider slightly above cave men equipment yet he created beautiful images. albert stieglitz, paul strand, edward steichen, edward weston, ansel adams, dorthea lange, galen rowell etc. all used old school equipment, yet their images stand the test of time. i also believe that if you had given these photographers today's equipment that they would still produce outstanding images. digital photography creates a googleplexian of pictures but how many of them are images that move us. the line at the top says "equipment and technique" and i think we spend too much time on the first and the later get short shifted by many photographers. maybe because i would take and old master and their paintings over a jackson pollock i'm stuck in the past. if so i'm sorry about this.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: are photographs improving?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:37:16 pm »

Yup.
Difficult topic.
And it is just like that.
It would be great to have more exchange of this type,
but I'm afraid on an online forum this kind of intimate exchange
is almost impossible to achieve.
Maybe Michael, Chris and Kevin could encourage that more
by shifting the content they provide - would surely be interesting.

Cheers
~Chris

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »

Has the equipment improved the images?
Have the millions of kids sent to art school improved art?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »

Hi,

I actually feel photography is improving. We see an incredible amount of photography and much of that is incredibly good. Quite a lot is no good, of course, but that is a part of the deal.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:24:32 pm »

In my experience people who really engage with photography as a creative pursuit don't get hung up on the technical stuff. At least not beyond what they need in order to do what they do. It's the rest of us who geek out on specs...otherwise we'd have to confront the creative & æsthetic qualities of our own photos.   :o

IMO a large part of why Ansel Adams is so highly regarded in photographer circles is that he was both a creative guy and a geek. Yet, also IMO, he was an exception and not the rule. All the AA clones and their derivative compositions...meh. Technique without vision.

Also also IMO, a little more spontaneity in Adams' approach wouldn't have hurt. Less 8x10, more Contax 35mm.

I'll bet there are more people doing genuinely creative photography than ever. The tools are better and more easily accessible. But for the same reasons there's a lot more crap too. Over time, though, today's crap will mostly fall away and today's great stuff will mostly emerge. Not counting, of course, people who do great work yet couldn't care less about putting it "out there."

;)

-Dave-

Theodoros

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:31:33 pm »

Has the equipment improved the images?
Have the millions of kids sent to art school improved art?

Edmund
Actually with photography in particular, I think that it has moved backwards… My view on the reason, has to do with technology and the "digital revolution", what in my opinion has happened, is that because digital made capture easy and cheap, photographers have stopped visualising the print, in fact, more and more "photographers" decide on the final image after they load it on their computer than when capturing it... Additionally, there are much less photographs printed and there more and more people who confuse a digital image viewed on a monitor with a photograph... People keep forgetting that a photograph is only the printed thing on paper... thus they don't do photography, they only capture pictures (not photographs) some of which are very nice, but (printed or not) they are still pictures and not photographs.

eronald

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »

Actually with photography in particular, I think that it has moved backwards… My view on the reason, has to do with technology and the "digital revolution", what in my opinion has happened, is that because digital made capture easy and cheap, photographers have stopped visualising the print, in fact, more and more "photographers" decide on the final image after they load it on their computer than when capturing it... Additionally, there are much less photographs printed and there more and more people who confuse a digital image viewed on a monitor with a photograph... People keep forgetting that a photograph is only the printed thing on paper... thus they don't do photography, they only capture pictures (not photographs) some of which are very nice, but (printed or not) they are still pictures and not photographs.

Ah, we are ministering to a dying art :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

david distefano

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 04:07:16 pm »

i believe it was canon but it may have been epson who stated that only 1% of all photographic captures each year (film and digital) are printed on large format printers.

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »

i believe it was canon but it may have been epson who stated that only 1% of all photographic captures each year (film and digital) are printed on large format printers.

I would be absolutely astounded if it way anywhere close to that percent.

Later,
Johnny

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »

This was just the question that occurred to me when we were treated to the photos that the Russian lady had taken of her children on another thread. Lovely photos, full of warmth and atmosphere and doubtless she has a great talent for capturing these images. Our admiration is only increased when we read she has been taking the craft seriously for just two years, but then we read she does it not on a point and shoot or consumer DSLR but a Canon 5D, that is to say she went straight in at the top equipment wise. Now whilst we cannot fault what she has achieved would it really have been possible with lesser kit and what would the shots look like if she only had a bridge camera or compact?

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »

Surely that's way too high… maybe what they mean, is that out of the photographers that use large format printers to print, …they print only 1% of their captures. That sounds more reasonable, but still seems high to me. I know "pros" that have never printed a digital capture in their whole life.

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »

This was just the question that occurred to me when we were treated to the photos that the Russian lady had taken of her children on another thread. Lovely photos, full of warmth and atmosphere and doubtless she has a great talent for capturing these images. Our admiration is only increased when we read she has been taking the craft seriously for just two years, but then we read she does it not on a point and shoot or consumer DSLR but a Canon 5D, that is to say she went straight in at the top equipment wise. Now whilst we cannot fault what she has achieved would it really have been possible with lesser kit and what would the shots look like if she only had a bridge camera or compact?
It must be admitted that there is no way that one can be creative unless he uses equipment he can fully control… Also, if one prefers a cheap S/H 5d than an alternative "toy" to start photography, it sounds to me like one that has a right mind on the subject. Though I would say the same for one that buys an even cheaper old film SLR, equipment to develop his films and a film scanner.

Nick-T

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 05:00:00 pm »

Digital has made me a much better photographer. The level of control and the quality of the preview (especially when tethered to a big screen) have improved my lighting and critical focus no end.
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »

It must be admitted that there is no way that one can be creative unless he uses equipment he can fully control… Also, if one prefers a cheap S/H 5d than an alternative "toy" to start photography, it sounds to me like one that has a right mind on the subject. Though I would say the same for one that buys an even cheaper old film SLR, equipment to develop his films and a film scanner.

Just looked again and it seems that I mis-remembered the notes that went with the images. My mistake.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 05:22:08 pm »

73.6% of statistics are made up  ;D

eronald

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 05:26:00 pm »

Lies, Damn Lies, Statistics ;)

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »

100% of the made up statistics are …made up.

eronald

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 05:40:48 pm »

Statistics are the manager's medium of artistic expression :)

Edmund

100% of the made up statistics are …made up.

david distefano

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 05:56:45 pm »

the results of the survey was not to be taken as a factoid but to show that almost all images produced are not being printed but just passed around the internet. nick said that digital made him a better photographer. digital has that potential if the photographer looks at their capture and does a self critique and learns, but too many just shoot and hope for the best. there is no idea in what the photographer wants to say or as AA said no pre-visualization.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »

Fantastic question, and a good one for every person to ask themselves regularly.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up