Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best way to get raw files off my camera, does it affect the qaulity  (Read 1681 times)

superqaz

HI

IVE GOT CAPTURE ONE V 7 and need to know if downloading raw files from a cannon 40d will be better quality if done though win 7 or capture one. im not meaning processing them in any way just getting them off the camera to a folder on the pc

or o maybe it will make no difference

thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:36:31 pm by superqaz »

Jorge M.

Re: best way to get raw files off my camera, does it affect the qaulity
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:53 pm »

I don't think it affects quality one bit, a RAW file is a RAW file regardless of how you got it into C1.

At least that's been my experience with older RAW files that were already in my PC and 'fresh' ones that I download straight from the camera.

If I am mistaken I'll be happy to read and learn about it.

superqaz

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:38 am »

I don't think it affects quality one bit, a RAW file is a RAW file regardless of how you got it into C1.

At least that's been my experience with older RAW files that were already in my PC and 'fresh' ones that I download straight from the camera.

If I am mistaken I'll be happy to read and learn about it.

thanks for that........seems to make sense, guess i wondered because xp wont recognize raw files as images whereas win 7 actually shows them as thumbnails of the photos.

before i decide on a permanent download method for raw files can anyone confirm this wisdom?

thanks

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:20 am »

Superqaz, how you download RAW images from your camera does not affect quality, per se, one iota.
However, I would strongly advise you not to directly download your RAW files from the camera.
If the battery dies in the middle of the transfer then the entire card could be corrupted and the images could be lost.
Far better to use a dedicated card reader and avoid the issue entirely.

How the OS perceives the RAW files is also neither here nor there as long as the RAW converter that you are using can make sense of them that is all that matters.

Tony Jay

superqaz

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:13 am »

thats the way ill go in future. don't have card reader yet that takes my cards. thanks all.

as u guys are active in the forum at moment may i cheat and ask if u would take a look at my other post. its a question about deleting what C1 remembers from previous session

thanks

the headline reads "how do i remove catalog and other remembered stuff from previous session"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:51:32 am by superqaz »

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:29:31 pm »

Downloading to some folder means you will now make two copies unless you have a LR "Move" command. Eventually you will want them in some processing program. Why not download to C1 in the first place? They will be easier to find and already organized

Can't think of any advantage to downloading them and then copying or moving to C1
Pages: [1]   Go Up