Author Topic: Girl  (Read 1078 times)

amolitor

Girl
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:47:29 am »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Girl
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:19:17 am »

Very nice, Andrew. Took me a minute to begin to appreciate it. The diagonal branch is good, but what really made the picture for me is the leaves on the guy's head. Experience tells me that that feature almost certainly was gratuitous, but as HCB said, "It's always luck."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:09:20 am »

It was almost all luck ;)

What I was looking for was entirely the visual interaction of someone (ideally a pretty girl) walking by with the guy out smoking and messing with his phone. I was in a parked bus, waiting to get going to Seattle, for about half an hour, and took a number of exposures. This one had certain repeated geometries that struck me as serendipitous. It would have been better if she'd been in exactly the same position another step or two up the sidewalk.

I did get the interaction, and it was good. I like the relationship between the two figures very much. The sandwich board, the branch, and all the rest of the repeated geometry is pure luck.

Perhaps I could claim that on some level I saw the sandwich board and though "like a person walking" but it sure wasn't conscious, and I doubt it entirely!

wmchauncey

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »

To me, it appears that your shutter speed was on the slow side as she is soft.      ;)
The things you do for yourself die with

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »

To me, it appears that your shutter speed was on the slow side as she is soft.      ;)

That's not shutter, that's nature. They all are.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:16 pm »

as she is soft.      ;)

She's moving. This isn't the place to freeze the motion.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:21:33 pm »

She's also out of focus, and seen through a not very clear window. Also, this is a pretty aggressive crop (sorry, Russ, I was in a bus, and my lens was as long as it was, so..). Luckily, I see nothing in the picture that really demands crispness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up