Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bubble Level for a Gitzo GT0531 Tripod?  (Read 5599 times)

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Bubble Level for a Gitzo GT0531 Tripod?
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »

I have a Gitzo GT0531 tripod with a RRS BH-25 ballhead that I use for backpacking and trekking. I'd like to attach a level to this tripod to facilitate shooting panoramas, ideally the bubble level will mount below the ballhead. I'm using this tripod with a Sony RX1 with an EVF attached so using a hot shoe bubble level is out.

Because there is only 1 control on the BH-25 ballhead, it's a bit floppy to do panoramas with the camera in the landscape position and one has to use the camera level and one's judgement to get it close. But in the portrait position, the ball head is fairly solid and works well, if the tripod itself is level.

I've tried the RRS Leveling plate for the BH-40 but it's too large and in the way. One possibility is the Gitzo GLEVEL1 Series 1 Bubble Level which is attached to the lower end of the center column but I can't tell if it might fit on the GT0531. If anyone has the GLEVEL1 Series 1 Bubble Level, I would appreciate it if you could measure the diameter of the mounting hole and email me.

Any other suggestions for a bubble level that might work?
Jay W Page

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
Re: Bubble Level for a Gitzo GT0531 Tripod?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:07:16 am »

I have one of these, sorry for e bay link not sure where else to get them...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Add-on-Offset-Bubble-Level-for-Tripod-Head-Desmond-Easy-Installation-no-tools-/190608828789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c612be975

Goes between the base plate of the tripod and your tripod head and works great, align it with one of the legs on the tripod so the bubble is protected by the bulk of the leg when you pack away or lye the tripod down.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:04 pm »

Thank-you for the suggestion, however I have tried something similar (the RRS leveling plate) and it didn't work with this BH-25 ball head. The BH-25 is really tiny, and so is the GT-0531 tripod but that's because it's for backpacking.

I have received an email from Gitzo in Italy, apparently the series one leveling cup (?) that I asked about will fit on the series 0 tripods but it will be loose fitting. So I'm still looking at my options: I may buy the "cup" level (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/429981-REG/Gitzo_GLEVEL1_Bubble_Level.html ), or I may try to make something more compact.
Jay W Page

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:44:13 am »

I have a Gitzo GT0531 tripod with a RRS BH-25 ballhead that I use for backpacking and trekking. I'd like to attach a level to this tripod to facilitate shooting panoramas, ideally the bubble level will mount below the ballhead. I'm using this tripod with a Sony RX1 with an EVF attached so using a hot shoe bubble level is out.

Because there is only 1 control on the BH-25 ballhead, it's a bit floppy to do panoramas with the camera in the landscape position and one has to use the camera level and one's judgement to get it close. But in the portrait position, the ball head is fairly solid and works well, if the tripod itself is level.

I've tried the RRS Leveling plate for the BH-40 but it's too large and in the way. One possibility is the Gitzo GLEVEL1 Series 1 Bubble Level which is attached to the lower end of the center column but I can't tell if it might fit on the GT0531. If anyone has the GLEVEL1 Series 1 Bubble Level, I would appreciate it if you could measure the diameter of the mounting hole and email me.

Any other suggestions for a bubble level that might work?

My gut feeling is that you'll be better off getting either an RRS PCL-1 or PCL-2 panning clamp to replace the standard clamp on your BH-25.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:32:34 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion Ellis, I am thinking of getting a panning clamp for my series 2 tripod with a RRS BH-40. But it's too heavy for this lightweight series 0 tripod because I'm trying to keep the weight a low as possible since I will be backpacking with it and carrying it for 10 days on a trek next fall. I'm going to try a GITZO Glevel1 Bubble Level which will fit on the lower end of the center column and see how that works out.
Jay W Page

Greg D

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:14:09 pm »

I used to have the same combo (tripod was actually a G1027, predecessor to the 0531) and the smaller Gitzo column level worked fine.  One advantage (for me) to the older tripod was that it did not have the non-rotating center column, so I could easily do pans with the BH-25 by simply rotating the column.  I'm still not sure why the non-rotating column is better, but virtually all newer tripods seem to have this feature.  Also, regarding a panning clamp, here's a possible alternative - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001464-REG/sunwayfoto_ddh02i_ddh_02i_panning_clamp.html .  Not quite RRS quality, but not that far from it, actually.  Very small & light, but probably big enough for gear that your tripod/head combo will hold.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I have ordered the Gitzo centre column level from ebay and it'll be here in a few weeks. In the meantime I have been experimenting; I have mounted a cube-type bubble level onto a camera plate (drilled and tapped a 1/4" threaded hole in it) and it also works OK with the ball tipped over in the portrait position. My Gitzo 0531 center column rotates freely when the ball head is tightened so once the top of the tripod is level you are good to go.

I used a Sony RX1 for several panoramas this past year and although I am still fairly new at this, things seemed to work out OK with the camera in Landscape position. The RX1 has a good built in level but it's a bit awkward and time consuming to try to level the tripod with it. The challenge is to set the camera up in the portrait position for panoramas that I plan to do in the Himalayas next fall.

I was able to do some "free-hand" panoramas using a monopod in Europe last year. Here's one here and a blog entry about taking it here.
Jay W Page

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »

I have an update on using the Gitzo GLEVEL1 Series 1 Bubble Level on a Gitzo Series 0 tripod (Gitzo GT0531), it fits on the bottom of the center column just fine. The center column of the Series 0 is 20mm in diameter and the Series 1 is 24mm so there is a little bit of sideways play if it's not screwed on tightly but it's not really a problem. In any case I slipped a small bit of irrigation tubing over the end of the center column and the level is a snug fit now.
Jay W Page

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:34 pm »

To clarify my description to answer a PM question: the legs touch the sides of the bubble level when the legs are collapsed, but the legs are almost parallel to each other in this position and not noticeably splayed so they fit into a storage bag properly.

The tubing I slipped onto the center column is 3/4" (~20mm) ID plastic irrigation tubing. I cut 2 pieces, each about 1/4" long which I slipped over the end of the center column after unscrewing the metal hook/insert that goes there. One of the pieces of plastic tubing I had to cut lengthwise to fit over the other. Together they make the bubble level fit snugly after the metal hook/insert is screwed back in.
Jay W Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up