Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prices on web page - how important?  (Read 2869 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Prices on web page - how important?
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:52:57 am »

I offer print for sale from my web page and have had essentially no takers. I am wondering if this could be because I do not list prices. Rather, I invite people to contact me for a quote, but perhaps that turns people off? I can see why they might want to know right up front that a 20x24 gallery wrap is $xx. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue? THanks.

Rob C

Re: Prices on web page - how important?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:42 am »

I offer print for sale from my web page and have had essentially no takers. I am wondering if this could be because I do not list prices. Rather, I invite people to contact me for a quote, but perhaps that turns people off? I can see why they might want to know right up front that a 20x24 gallery wrap is $xx. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue? THanks.

Peter, my belief is that if anyone is interested they have only to send an E-mail; that incurs no face-to-face confrontation nor even a telephone call that some might find uncomfortable. In the final analysis, it's about somebody liking something, and if they like it enough, they will make the move. If not, that's okay too, the shots are made for the pleasure of it, one would assume and/or hope!

Rob C

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:22:36 am »

I read at this site several times that almost no one buys art from a web page. I don't know if that's an unswerving truth, but in any event, my experience is that that a lot of people will try to shop prices for my works, plus galleries I’ve spoken with all but demand a price listing. Due to that I keep a price listing along with my exhibit history on my web page, but i don't have a shopping cart as i'd rather talk with people first.

In a book i'm reading, one section is about the predatory habits of some art galleries in NY City that at one time refused to post prices on art works, and instead would try to get whatever they could from the unsuspecting customer. According to the book, this habit was at one time so widespread and so broadly given to defrauding both the customers and the artists whose work was being sold at widely varying prices, that there were laws passed (in NYC) that required price tags on art works.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:39 pm »

I've sold in shows and to friends and colleagues, but never on a website. I have "stuff" for sale on my zenfolio site with pricing described on another page because I, too, would like to know what a client would be interested in. I also have "stuff" on The Artrepreneur website, but have not sold anything; a couple of artists there have told me they had the same experience and removed their work from the site. I am about at that point. Like Rob intimated, I do it for the joy of creating, but it would be nice to sell occasionally online. There's always the possibility that perhaps I'm not good enough, but I don't think that's the case with you, Peter. Good luck. If you learn something, please let us all know!

Gary Brown

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »

I offer print for sale from my web page and have had essentially no takers. I am wondering if this could be because I do not list prices. Rather, I invite people to contact me for a quote, but perhaps that turns people off?

Although this isn't about art sales, and is oriented toward business-to-business sites, you might nevertheless find this essay relevant: State the Price to Give B2B Sites a Competitive Advantage

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:37 pm »

The vast majority of my print sales have resulted from the client doing nothing more complicated than simply clicking the 'order print' button.

That said there are many possible reasons why people don't buy and the ordering process is but one.

I couldn't find that button on your site, link under your name at left.  http://www.keithlaban.co.uk/index.html

All I found was this:

Please make initial contact by e-mail. I am based in Surrey UK.

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:37:09 am »

My thoughts: Some sellers have shoppers that come to their website, but know you in some way and want a conversation. Perhaps that group is fine with getting prices in the conversation and don't need them posted on line. High price items best for this perhaps.
Other people don't know you, are looking at your work  - maybe discovered your site - for these sellers the question is - do you want to sell to the broad public or not? if yes, then pricing and click to buy is most likely a requirement. Competitive prices, more like a commodity than an investment piece perhaps.

I think one must decide which route to go, they are different. The most public one requires the most disclosure, and the least getting to know the buyer, and in this day and age, seems to me to be the more common. But just maybe high prices usually goes along with a conversation - the buyer wants to sense a "deeper" (even if superficial really) connection. Interesting deciding...

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:27:35 am »

I find it absolutely necessary to have prices listed.
The customer should not have to track you down to find out the cost of a product.
I know how I am and I spend hours on the web going from site to site to price compare certain vendor pricing compared to mine.
This may be for equipment or printing supplies or whatever. If I am shopping to buy and no pricing is listed I am off to the next vendor.
Not sure a Paypal buy button is necessary but I would show them enough pricing info to at least get them to email or call you.
At that point you know you have a serious potential buyer as he knows what your work costs.
Then it is up to you, as no one can promote and sell your work better then you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up