Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D3300, Do you think it is a big upgrade?  (Read 1680 times)

NickNod

D3300, Do you think it is a big upgrade?
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:48:33 pm »

Accroding to the current news http://petapixel.com/2014/01/07/nikon-unveils-aa-filterless-d3300-35mm-f1-8g-fx-lens-new-coolpix-cameras/, it has big chances in shape and weight but less in key features.

Not very much big news on CES this year.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: D3300, Do you think it is a big upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:48:41 am »

Hard to say.  I used a 3200 on a high-risk hexacopter prototype, and I felt it was a little soft in spite of my best efforts at precision manual pre-focusing.  Don't know if that had to do with deliberately throttled-back processing or what.  But without AA filter, the 3300 could theoretically be an excellent camera for those who merely need to click off high resolution shots, or for example in situations where drop-and-run must be an option.  Did I mention the 3200 doesn't bounce well?

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:25 am »

I think that Nikon, like other major manufacturers, are now well past the phase where they expect the majority of users to upgrade with every new release.

Nowadays, they compete on "features" and will constantly try to leapfrog each-other in the quest for new users. After all, if someone is buying their very first camera (particularly a system camera - either dSLR or CSC), they have no brand loyalty or lens tie-in at that stage and will opt for whichever seems best specced at the time.

But for existing users, there is really only a need to upgrade when a fault, flaw or inadequacy in the existing product has been corrected or improved significantly.

The market would seem to suggest (in UK at least) that most users upgrade to a higher-specced model rather than an upgraded version of the same model. For example D3100 to D5200 or D7100 rather than to D3300.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

NickNod

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:40:02 am »

I think that Nikon, like other major manufacturers, are now well past the phase where they expect the majority of users to upgrade with every new release.

Nowadays, they compete on "features" and will constantly try to leapfrog each-other in the quest for new users. After all, if someone is buying their very first camera (particularly a system camera - either dSLR or CSC), they have no brand loyalty or lens tie-in at that stage and will opt for whichever seems best specced at the time.

But for existing users, there is really only a need to upgrade when a fault, flaw or inadequacy in the existing product has been corrected or improved significantly.

The market would seem to suggest (in UK at least) that most users upgrade to a higher-specced model rather than an upgraded version of the same model. For example D3100 to D5200 or D7100 rather than to D3300.
Completely support your view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up