Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The beautiful Island of Eigg  (Read 5384 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
The beautiful Island of Eigg
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:22 am »

Eigg is a tiny island out of the Scottish Inner Hebrides, on Scotland's west coast; its population amounts to a whopping 83 people in winter, and slightly more in summer when a few tourists add to the locals. Cars are not allowed on the island (except for the residents', of course) not to clog the single road connecting the settlement of Galmisdale in the south, where the ferry moors, to the main village of Cleadale in the north. There is one small market and a pub in Galmisdale, while accommodation is provided by a few B&Bs in Cleadale which, if so you wish, will provide you with delicious home-cooked evening meals as well. Walking on Eigg's coasts and bays and exploring its wild beauty is a truly unique experience, and I feel really privileged to have had the chance to visit and photograph it: I can't wait to go back, and I hope this will happen sooner than later. Some picture from Eigg for you:

All the images above have been shot with the SD1 Merrill and the 10-20mm f/4-5.6. The rest of the pics are on my EIGG'S IMPRESSIONS gallery. Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: The beautiful Island of Eigg
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:21:49 am »

Very good work and wonderful images.

churly

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:03:44 am »

Very nice! 
Chuck Hurich

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:20:26 am »

Like it! I have been there a couple of years ago, alas just during daytime (the ferry from Arisaig). Not only is the island beautiful, the views to Rum, Skye and Morar are great too. Thnks for posting!
I don't have a signature.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:13 am »

Beautiful photos

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 03:29:29 pm »

Excellent compositions, fine captures. I'd be curious to see versions that were processed a little more gently.

batmura

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »

Terrific shots! #1 and #3 are awesome compositionally. I do think the last one looks a bit overcooked, but the composition is awesome nonetheless.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »

Beautiful series of a location that is more beautiful than I think we often give it credit for. These could almost be tropical given the colour palette.

I particularly enjoy the rhythm and balance of the fourth photograph. Please consider removing what appears to be spots in the immediate foreground as I feel the y detract from the overall smoothness of the surf.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »

Not a fan of #3 but the rest are beautiful. Very peaceful and relaxing images.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

NickNod

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:01:11 am »

Nice set of photos. I love the second one most  :)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:45 am »

Very good work and wonderful images.

Thank you very much Paulo, I am glad you enjoyed them  ;D

Very nice! 

Thank you churly!

Like it! I have been there a couple of years ago, alas just during daytime (the ferry from Arisaig). Not only is the island beautiful, the views to Rum, Skye and Morar are great too. Thnks for posting!

Wim,

first of all thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed the pics. While a daytime trip is fine to get a taste of the Isle, I think it's really worth staying for a couple of nights or three, to enjoy it in the good light close to sunrise / sunset, and get a taste of the island's lifestyle as well  ;D

Beautiful photos

Thank you Bill, I am glad you enjoyed them!  ;D

Excellent compositions, fine captures. I'd be curious to see versions that were processed a little more gently.

Hi Scott, thank you very much for you comment, I am glad you enjoyed. After having a look at your beautiful work, I see what you mean about the "gentle" processing; to me, Eigg and the light I had while there inspired me a more "dramatic" feel, hence my processing choices. Maybe next time it will gave me a different impression - I certainly hope to be back there soon!

Terrific shots! #1 and #3 are awesome compositionally. I do think the last one looks a bit overcooked, but the composition is awesome nonetheless.

Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed the beautiful Eigg  ;D

Beautiful series of a location that is more beautiful than I think we often give it credit for. These could almost be tropical given the colour palette.

I particularly enjoy the rhythm and balance of the fourth photograph. Please consider removing what appears to be spots in the immediate foreground as I feel the y detract from the overall smoothness of the surf.

Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed them  ;D The spots you see in the last image are actually little stones and pieces of wood; I generally prefer not to remove such natural elements from my images, but I see your point and I will think about cloning them out, thanks again you for your suggestion.

Not a fan of #3 but the rest are beautiful. Very peaceful and relaxing images.

Thank you very much Walt, I am glad you enjoyed them and the feeling they convey  ;D

Nice set of photos. I love the second one most  :)

Thank you very much Nick! :)
Vieri Bottazzini

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:46:58 am »

Beautiful work Vieri.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:58:30 am »

I really like the first one, although I would probably trim some off the bottom, but that might be just me.

I think the island you are photographing here is Rum, which is a view I see almost daily from Skye. We can easily see Eigg, Rum and Canna and also from the top of the Isle of Skye we can see the outer Hebrides (or Western Isles as they are also known) with Uist and Harris etc, which look a lot closer to us than they really are.

A tip - if you (or anyone else) comes over to the Highlands and Islands and you find yourself on North Uist, then head over to the south west of the island and go to Baleshare beach for a sunset shoot, simply stunning location with miles of beautiful golden sands that curve off into the distance towards yet another view of Rum and best of all, you will probably have the whole beach and stunning views to yourself, however there isn't much in the way of ammenities, but it is a great place for a picnic if you go prepared, as we always do  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:36:35 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 04:26:14 am »

Beautiful work Vieri.

Thank you very much John, glad you enjoyed  ;D

I really like the first one, although I would probably trim some off the bottom, but that might be just me.

I think the island you are photographing here is Rum, which is a view I see almost daily from Skye. We can easily see Eigg, Rum and Canna and also from the top of the Isle of Skye we can see the outer Hebrides (or Western Isles as they are also known) with Uist and Harris etc, which look a lot closer to us than they really are.

A tip - if you (or anyone else) comes over to the Highlands and Islands and you find yourself on North Uist, then head over to the south west of the island and go to Baleshare beach for a sunset shoot, simply stunning location with miles of beautiful golden sands that curve off into the distance towards yet another view of Rum and best of all, you will probably have the whole beach and stunning views to yourself, however there isn't much in the way of ammenities, but it is a great place for a picnic if you go prepared, as we always do  ;D

Dave

Hello Dave,

Indeed the island ever-present in all the images is Rum, an almost unescapable sight if you shoot on Eigg's West coast...  ;D Thank you very much for your tip on North Uilst, I am planning to go there the next time I'll be in Scotland and I'll surely try and go to see Baleshare Beach. I'll keep in mind the lack of amenities as well, thank you very much - one always need to be prepared.

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:50 pm »

Love the colours in #1 and #4 - beautiful images!

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »

Gorgeous captures! Very impressive work.

Mark

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13:49 am »

Thank you Martin & Mark for taking the time to view and comment, much appreciated ;D I am glad you enjoyed Eigg! Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

esox

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:30 am »

I love it.

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 04:48:12 am »

Thank you Martin & Mark for taking the time to view and comment, much appreciated ;D I am glad you enjoyed Eigg! Best,

Vieri

Vieri - it makes me want to pop on the plane and visit Scotland.  I must see how long it would take to get there from Northern Ireland.

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »

+1, especially the first one.

I like what seems to be a somewhat unique separation of colors that you get, presumably in the post-processing stage rather than filters, but am not sure whether something is a bit off in the WB between foreground and background? The only other hopefully constructive quibble I have is that when printed rather than viewed on a bright monitor, the vignetting might be a little too obvious (maybe this is on purpose for the web jpegs?).
Pages: [1]   Go Up